Thread: CellMapper - LTE upgrade tracking

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

CellMapper - LTE upgrade tracking

Is there a thread for this? If not, I want to make one. I stopped using Sensorly many months ago and only map with CellMapper now.

I see there's B71 popping up in the LA (OC) area. My phone hasn't selected one yet. Seeing all the others, I'm hoping there's a way to force select B71 so I can map that band, but I haven't found a way thus far. Any suggestions? Here's a map near my area.

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=3...orColours=true

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What device?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With Cellmapper and your Android phone supports B71 then your phone will detect B71 even if you don’t connect with B71 when you call or get data. Cell towers have multiple bands transmissions and your phone picks all of them up if you are close enough. If you have a cell phone that supports Carrier Aggregation then you are wasting your time trying to select B71 only since Cellmapper will get all the different bands your phone supports provided you are close enough. Cellmapper needs a minimum of about 240 degrees view to lock down the location of a cell towers. Any large body of water between you and the tower will increase error in location of that tower. Water doesn’t diminish transmission power as much as land with obstacles. If you are mapping with Cellmapper it will have all the different Band details on their map that your phone supports.

Cellmapper doesn’t support iPhones since iOS doesn’t provide phone information to a Application Program Interface ( API) that Cellmapper needs. The best place to get technical info on Cellmapper is on their Facebook page where the developers will answer your questions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    With Cellmapper and your Android phone supports B71 then your phone will detect B71 even if you don’t connect with B71 when you call or get data. Cell towers have multiple bands transmissions and your phone picks all of them up if you are close enough. If you have a cell phone that supports Carrier Aggregation then you are wasting your time trying to select B71 only since Cellmapper will get all the different bands your phone supports provided you are close enough. Cellmapper needs a minimum of about 240 degrees view to lock down the location of a cell towers. Any large body of water between you and the tower will increase error in location of that tower. Water doesn’t diminish transmission power as much as land with obstacles. If you are mapping with Cellmapper it will have all the different Band details on their map that your phone supports.

Cellmapper doesn’t support iPhones since iOS doesn’t provide phone information to a Application Program Interface ( API) that Cellmapper needs. The best place to get technical info on Cellmapper is on their Facebook page where the developers will answer your questions.
    So if I understand correctly I do not need to only enable B71 on my S9 if I wish to map only B71?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I'm using a OnePlus 6T and I have yet to see any evidence that it's using CA. Is there a way to tell for sure?

I brought the SDR this morning and saw evidence of B71 as I also see from my house, but it's very spotty (frequently dropping out totally) and seemed to be coming from far away (mostly saw from hill tops).

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    So if I understand correctly I do not need to only enable B71 on my S9 if I wish to map only B71?
    If your phone supports B71 on T-Mobile then it and all bands are enabled. Your phone is continuously scanning all T-Mobile bands and your phone reports all bands on a tower it picks up to Cellmapper. Don’t disable any bands or lock your phone on any single spectrum and it works correctly with Cellmapper. The most important thing with Cellmapper is mapping both sides of the tower to get the best results of location and spectrum bands. However other people mappings on the other side of the tower helps Cellmapper in case you are just driving by.

If you get on a Windows PC on Cellmapper you can go to the Bands option and uncheck every Band but B71 and it will show you only B71 towers. However the tower will still show other spectrum bands on that tower with other info like Last Seen dates. Warning some times when using the Bands feature you may have to frequently exit and go back to Cellmapper since it does get confused.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Your phone is continuously scanning all T-Mobile bands and your phone reports all bands on a tower it picks up to Cellmapper.
    I was not aware of that. Hmm, interesting. Even if it doesn't pop up on the screen ever? Do I need to enable something or it scans others that it doesn't show?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    I was not aware of that. Hmm, interesting. Even if it doesn't pop up on the screen ever? Do I need to enable something or it scans others that it doesn't show?
    That is just how cell phones work. That is how the phone switches towers as you travel down the road without dropping your call because it has already seen a new strong signal maybe on a separate band from scanning new spectrum as you drive. Start mapping a T-Mobile Tower with Cellmapper and your phone will update every separate band it can see on that tower. With Carrier Aggregation your phone if it has that ability will be using multiple spectrum bands at the same time.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 04-26-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would not say that it's scanning all TMobile bands, but is listening. Name:  1556428891775.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  31.3 KBName:  1556429026583.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  27.7 KB

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I drove out to Palm Desert over the weekend and bagged my first B71 sites (in Corona, Riverside & Moreno Valley). My phone connected with a few of them as well. It was great to see. So, I guess I won't worry about it and conclude that CellMapper is tracking more than I see.

Also, I saw this exciting find in Palm Desert, not too far from my parents' house. I detected no signals from it at all and don't remember seeing it before. Looks like it might be a new TMo site with B71 going on it. Palm Desert is phase 3 so the TV signals will be moved by 6/21.

Name:  IMG_20190428_110244.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  37.2 KB

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    After doing some digging, apparently LTE+ as it shows on my phone (or LTE-A as Cell-Mapper reports) means that my phone is using CA (Carrier Aggregation). But it still just shows the main band. How can I get it to show both? Is there another app that will?

I'll be checking on the above site again next weekend. Rumor is that it will have more than one carrier on it.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Looks like some LA sites popping up around downtown LA on the freeways and also near LAX

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Looks like some LA sites popping up around downtown LA on the freeways and also near LAX

Big 600 Mhz build out over the last two months...

This is the Lart2150 Buildout map for T-Mobile's Band 71 that was updated on May 1st, 2019.