Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question about hot spot use , I知 on Straight talk using AT&T towers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    Okay - I started doing heavier tests and the hotspot thing appears to be DoA.. On both the iPhone and Blackberry, hotspot connects and starts and a device can connect and transfer data for about 15 seconds and then it just stops transferring anything. Everything times out. The Blackberry has data meters and the amount received stops going up, only sent goes up. The hotspot APN must be blocking by a policy rule. This is the same from two different cities in KY. From the phone itself, speeds are great. Bummer. Oh well..
    Seems to be no rhyme or reason as the hotspot working or not. The blackberry z10 that I was using is an AT&T branded phone and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Okay - I started doing heavier tests and the hotspot thing appears to be DoA. Oh well..
    What did you do in those heavier tests? Maybe the rate of data burning raised a flag to T-Mobile. I bought a Straight Talk hotspot Z291 for the upcoming trip (not activated yet) and also bought a month of service (some minutes/texts/1.5GB data) for a temporary TracFone phone that I intend to use for testing tethering on the trip just for fun. The phone is an old LG Rebel 2 (TracFone Verizon SIM) that has a built-in tethering function and I have tested it today to make sure it worked, and it did, before the trip.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo583 View Post
    Seems to be no rhyme or reason as the hotspot working or not. The blackberry z10 that I was using is an AT&T branded phone and it works
    Are you using a SIM card on ATT or T-Mobile?
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    What did you do in those heavier tests? Maybe the rate of data burning raised a flag to T-Mobile.
    Well, to be perfectly honest I previously just assumed it worked because I壇 link to the WiFi and open an app like Facebook or Twitter and see it quickly refresh the latest content - assumed it worked. Today I did basically the same thing but actually tried to scroll through posts and open a few web pages. Invariably it popped up the first refresh of an app after I first connected but I couldn稚 scroll two pages down the images and text stopped loading. It wasn稚 like I started a 100mb speed test or anything. For grins I tried doing one of those and a speed test was never possible.

I know straight talk offers data only sims for hotspot use and they definitely allow that but doing so with a phone sim is probably grounds for termination I would imagine...

揖idd

Feedback Score
    Are you using a SIM card on ATT or T-Mobile?
    At&t

Feedback Score
    It wasn’t like I started a 100mb speed test or anything.
    That isn't good. I didn't do much test either. After I had tethering enabled and configured, I connected a spare cell phone (no mobile service) to it and opened a few webpages through Chrome. That was all. The (tethering) phone will be used as a regular cell phone (voice) at our first and the longest stop (5 days) of the trip, where Verizon is the only carrier, so that we have two phones with Verizon coverage in the group to share. This phone is not needed the rest of the way and that is when the fun begins. I want to minimize the risk of it being disabled now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    What did you do in those heavier tests? Maybe the rate of data burning raised a flag to T-Mobile. I bought a Straight Talk hotspot Z291 for the upcoming trip (not activated yet) and also bought a month of service (some minutes/texts/1.5GB data) for a temporary TracFone phone that I intend to use for testing tethering on the trip just for fun. The phone is an old LG Rebel 2 (TracFone Verizon SIM) that has a built-in tethering function and I have tested it today to make sure it worked, and it did, before the trip.
    Have you (or anyone) put your Z291 data only hotspot SIM in a phone just to use the phones hotspot function? May be a use for old non-VoLTE LTE phones we have laying around. ST/Vzw.

Feedback Score
    I haven't activated the Z291 yet. I have ordered a BYOP Verizon SIM and am waiting for it to arrive. (The Z291 came with an AT&T SIM card and CSR at Straight Talk said that a BYOP SIM was the only solution.) I can do the experiment after the trip is over to make good use of leftover data. The LG Rebel 2 mentioned earlier has been unlocked by TracFone and I had run its IMEI through Straight Talk's BYOP phone compatibility check successfully.

Feedback Score
    Just want to follow up my Straight Talk Z291 hotspot experiment. I wasn't able to get the TF Verizon BYOP SIM to work with it even after 4 long support calls. I went as far as convincing a supervisor type person to accept that Z291 could work with Verizon SIM and activated it but at the end I couldn't get Z291 connected even though everything looked right from Straight Talk's end. So I had to activate it with the AT&T SIM, which defeated the purpose of buying the Z291 (to be used at Grand Canyon National Park). I ended up use the TracFone phone's tethering function there. It went smoothly and I hadn't encountered any problem in burning up all the data (1.5GB) I had with the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Have you (or anyone) put your Z291 data only hotspot SIM in a phone just to use the phones hotspot function? May be a use for old non-VoLTE LTE phones we have laying around. ST/Vzw.
    I used up all my Z291 data at Zion National Park so I could not do the experiment. I originally planned to use VPN over WiFi (at the park's Visitor Center) for internet access but was too lazy to walk the quarter mile from my campsite (at the Watchman Campground) to the Visitor Center.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo583 View Post
    I called straight talk and they said they don稚 offer hot spot use as an option but if it works you can use it that痴 what the lady said

So does anyone know of any particular brand of phone that the hot spot works on straight talk??

I used hotspot on Straight Talk and my data got turned off. It took multiple calls to different support people to convince them to turn in on. I had just topped up for 3 months. They said it was off until the end of my billing cycle. After I got my data back I used my 3 months and moved on.

Sent from my BND-L34 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    I used hotspot on Straight Talk and my data got turned off. It took multiple calls to different support people to convince them to turn in on. I had just topped up for 3 months. They said it was off until the end of my billing cycle. After I got my data back I used my 3 months and moved on.
    Interesting they just turned data off, instead of the entire service.
    Was there any warning?
    Any idea how much data was used for hotspoting? Was that the only use?
    Moved on to where?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Interesting they just turned data off, instead of the entire service.
    Was there any warning?
    Any idea how much data was used for hotspoting? Was that the only use?
    Moved on to where?
    I had no warning. Data just disappeared. Talk and SMS text worked. This was a few years ago.

Sent from my BND-L34 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    I had no warning. Data just disappeared. Talk and SMS text worked. This was a few years ago.
    Carrier hotspot rules have changed in the last few years. What carrier were you on?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2