Thread: Truphone SIM question

Feedback Score

Truphone SIM question

Does anyone know if Truphone sends out replacement SIMs for free?

I bought a Truphone sim (micro-sim) many years ago for an old smartphone. It was just as a backup and I still have most of the $15 balance remaining on the sim. I am thinking of using a flip phone for Truphone now, so I'll need a different size sim. (I don't have a sim adapter, and I don't want to buy an adapter either, because I've heard of problems with adapters. If any of you have experience with getting a different/replacement sim from Truphone, please share. Thank you folks.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    (I don't have a sim adapter, and I don't want to buy an adapter either, because I've heard of problems with adapters.
    If you don't want to use an adapter, that's your decision. But I have used them many times with no problem. I always use the high quality adapters from Noosy, not the cheap flimsy ones.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    You don't need to buy an adapter if you have the cut-out of another SIM card that the Truphone microSIM fits into. Or, if you can score a free SIM somewhere, try its cut-out. I've done this numerous times and it works fine. I'm not sure what problems you're worried about... but as I see it, the worst that could happen (and unlikely if the cut-out is a good fit) is the SIM gets stuck inside the slot. I can't imagine that flip-phone is worth much, and you'd be in the exact same position of needing a replacement SIM from Truphone.

Otherwise, I don't know why you don't just call Truphone and ask.

Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score
    OP, no one answered your question. I lost a truphone phone several years ago in my house. I called Tru to ask for a new sim. They said they would give me one with a $15 recharge. I didn't have any foreign trips planned so I told them I'd get back to them. Had about $14 on account. This was at least 3 years ago so YMMV.

What's interesting is that my account is still active after all this time. The balance still shows in the account. I can still call the number and leave a voicemail and I get an email notification. Occasionally I get some Chinese voicemail from NYC. Bottom line is you probably can go much longer than 6 months without any paid activity.

I don't know any other way to get a blank sim than the method above. They aren't sold anywhere else to my knowledge. If you come up with anything, please let us know!

UPDATE: Just for the hell of it, I called them @646-360-1689. About 45" hold time. Didn't mention losing a phone. Just told them I needed a nano sim for a new phone. Low and behold, they are going to send me a triple cut sim via priority mail for free! Probably should have used this method from the get go. Let us know how your experience is!
    Last edited by Nokiayes; 04-22-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    There is a risk of damaging the delicate pins of the SIM card reader when you use an adapter or cut down a SIM. Like Relztrah said a high quality adapter reduces the risk.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have contacted TruPhone and asked for replacement sim cards. I did this last year as my TruPhone sims were regular sized and I needed a micro for an iPhone. I called their customer service number and asked if I could get a new sim card for one of my lines. They noticed I had two sims on my account and asked if I wanted a new sim for the other line. I said sure. The new sim cards needed to be activated, but they included the instructions. The new sim cards were the standard "3 in 1" type. TruPhone has excellent customer service.

Eric