Thread: Red Pocket Horror Story

Feedback Score

Red Pocket Horror Story

I mostly use this site for research, but I wanted to share a recent horror story I had that might help others.

I ordered two SIM cards from Red Pocket Mobile. They make you pay the full month of service up front, unlike many companies. I paid $61.01 via credit card. When the SIM cards arrived, I ported my wife's number first. We thought it best to keep one of our phones the same just in case there were issues so we wouldn't be out of a phone to use.

The porting process did not go as smoothly as the website suggested it would. We could make a call on the phone but there was no data connection and we could not text from it.

I used the online "chat" feature on their website to contact customer service. I explained the issue. They went to work on it. Everything they asked me to do I did. Nothing worked. After over an hour on chat with tech support, the woman helping me says that there are known firmware issues with the Samsung S7, S8, and S9 phones on Red Pocket's CDMA-V service. This is the first I heard of that. My wife's phone is an S7 and I would not have bought the service knowing this.

They offered to provide me with an alternate service through their GSM partners (AT&T or T-Mobile.) I specifically got Red Pocket to try their CDMA (Verizon partner) service, so I declined. I tell them to release the phone number so I can port it back to my old service. They agree to this (but didn't do it.)

I waited over night and by mid day the next day the port still would not go through. The old provider tells me there is a delay on Red Pocket's end. I got in touch with Red Pocket again and asked them release the number and this time they do.

I also had asked for a refund earlier since they could not provide me with cell phone service. They refused initially saying this is covered under the terms of service I agreed to. I went back and forth with them (as politely as I could) over the course of an hour. They finally agreed to refund half of my money, which they did. So I received $30.50.
    I said that's not acceptable and to let me speak with a manager. They refused. They said a manager would call me within 24 hours to discuss. They did not call of course.

So basically I paid $30 for a piece of plastic. They couldn't connect my wife's phone through no fault of our own (the phone is new, completely unlocked, etc.) They keep the money and I get nothing. This is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

I have ported numbers quite a few times over the years and this is the first time I was never able to get a phone to work with tech support’s help. The customer service at Red Pocket is extremely slow and frustrating to use. I’ve had better tech support help from Ting, Twigby, and Total Wireless. I highly recommend steering clear of Red Pocket. They don’t stand behind what they’re offering. Buyer beware.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, several flip phones
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Lycamobile, Red Pocket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I have a Samsung S8 and an active RP sim on Verizon in another phone. When I first installed the RP VZ sim in the S8 for an experiment I also had no data. IIRC, Customer service had me clear out the APN setting area before pushing settings to my phone. I believe I had to be on wifi to be able to receive the settings since otherwise no phone data. In any case, the CS rep knew what they were doing and got me LTE data in a short chat. My brother has a S7 on RP Verizon and his seems to work OK. Neither one of us ported a number in though, we got a new one from RP.

I know YMMV, but I have three RP sims on A, T, and V and all work well and those support chats I've had have cured any problems. No doubt, some CS agents are more informed than others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    I have a Samsung S8 and an active RP sim on Verizon in another phone. When I first installed the VZ sim in the S8 I also had no data. IIRC, Customer service had me clear out the APN setting area before pushing settings to my phone. I believe I had to be on wifi to be able to receive the settings since otherwise no phone data. In any case, the CS rep knew what they were doing and got me LTE data in a short chat. My brother has a S7 on RP Verizon and his seems to work OK.

I know YMMV, but I have three RP sims on all but Sprint and all work well and what support chats I've had have cured any problems. No doubt, some CS agents are more informed than others.
    That's interesting. I guess not all support staff are created equal. She did have me wipe the phone's network settings and retry but we couldn't get anything to work. I'm not sure what issues she is referring to with CDMA and the later Samsung's but apparently it is only on CDMA because she offered to send me the GSM SIM. I was also on wifi the whole time. I was looking forward to trying RP because I've heard you can hotspot if using an iPhone.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Couldn't get my port from Cricket to work properly on RP/At&t a few months ago. RP did refund my CC for the $194.00 I paid for a 360 day E-bay sim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Couldn't get my port from Cricket to work properly on RP/At&t a few months ago. RP did refund my CC for the $194.00 I paid for a 360 day E-bay sim.
    With eBay behind your back, RP had no choice but gave the full refund. "Item not as described" are powerful words.

Feedback Score
    There is/was an issue with Rp and S7, S8, and S9 phones. Some older firmwares work. Some new ones don't. I ended up leaving.

Feedback Score
    see https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...oftware-update

and https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...r-red-t3736850

and https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ek-long-ordeal!

and someone mentioned this worked for them
    Quote Originally Posted by trippc View Post
    Hello... I am the OP...

I finally got it to work. I first went with the att service through redpocket for one month of service. I then switch to the Verizon service afterwards and has worked ever since then. Not sure why my wife's s8 transferred immediately and my s8+ did not. I think the s8+ wasn't released by Verizon until it made the switch to another carrier to officially clear it out of their system.

One thing to note is that I somehow lost the Verizon voicemail app by switching to att for that first month. So once I switched back to Verizon service through redpocket I wouldn't get voicemail notifications. I use Google voice for it now with no problems.

Hope it helps you out.

Feedback Score
    the woman helping me says that there are known firmware issues with the Samsung S7, S8, and S9 phones on Red Pocket's CDMA-V service.
    I know for a fact the unlocked variant of the S8 doesn't do well on RP CDMA service (8.0 oreo) Flash the Verizon firmware to the phone and it will work just fine. I'm using a Verizon S7 edge on RP's CDMA service with zero issues. Didn't work correctly on GSMA because of band compatibility.

It's always best to use the carrier branded device on who's ever network you choose for the least amount of trouble.

Feedback Score
    o look! my thread is back! for a while there my thread had disappeared.. now its back.. this is a known issue.. i was trying with a galaxy s8 from xfinity mobile (basically the unlocked variant).. atleast in OPs case, RP let them know about the known issue.. while i was going through this, it took them days to acknowledge the issue even after i pointed out the online threads..