Thread: Questions about Tracfone BYOP - thanks in advance

Feedback Score

Question Questions about Tracfone BYOP - thanks in advance

I've had an LG Fiesta 2 (CDMA) for a couple years but it's getting a little long in the tooth. I'm considering a new phone - like the BLU VIVO XL4 -and am considering doing the BYOP thing for the first time.

A few questions:

1) If I get a GSM phone, can I keep the same phone number I've had with CDMA phones?

2) Will I need to buy a GSM SIM card from Tracfone? I'd guess I can't swap my current SIM card in....

Thanks for the help. While I've had various Tracfones for over a decade or so, I'm new the BYOP.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    1. You can transfer service (phone number, service days, bucket balances) between GSM and CDMA phones/carriers.
    2. You'll need to buy a Tracfone BYOP SIM Kit, frequently on sale at Best Buy, Target, Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc for $1 (list price is $10 I think). The kit will have SIMs for Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile, in all 3 sizes (mini, micro, nano). You can't swap your current CDMA SIM into a GSM phone. They're are not compatible.

It's easier to activate a BYOP GSM SIM (for AT&T or T-mobile) because TF doesn't require the IMEI (serial number) of a phone. If you want to activate a BYOP CDMA SIM (for use with TF/Verizon), you'll have to supply an IMEI that passes the "whitelist" check on TF web site. The whitelist check is a thing that Verizon requires, to ensure that the phone is not stolen, not on postpaid contract, not being used with another carrier, etc.

Your Fiesta 2 is a TF-branded phone. Currently, there are add-ons (like 365 days for service for $49.99) that are offered only to TF-branded phones, and not to BYOP. So it's one thing to consider if you regularly extend your service days by just buying the 365 days (without any talk/text/data units).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by midtowndraft View Post
    I've had an LG Fiesta 2 (CDMA) for a couple years but it's getting a little long in the tooth. I'm considering a new phone - like the BLU VIVO XL4 -and am considering doing the BYOP thing for the first time.

A few questions:

1) If I get a GSM phone, can I keep the same phone number I've had with CDMA phones?
    Yes. You activate the new SIM with a transfer of number and service from the current one. Do it by chat and get them to tell you your current balances and service end date at the beginning of the session so they are on record for what you should have when the transfer is done.

2) Will I need to buy a GSM SIM card from Tracfone? I'd guess I can't swap my current SIM card in....
    Correct. You can't use a CDMA (Verizon) SIM in a "GSM" phone. You will need a Tracfone SIM for AT&T or T-Mobile. Sometimes the BYOP activation kits can be found at Best Buy and Dollar General or online. Sometimes they are $1. The activation kit will come with all three sizes of SIMs for all three networks.

The SIMs in the new activation kits use Smartphone single-unit service "cards", no more triple units unless you can find an old kit that still had the triple units. The old kits only have SIMs for Verizon and AT&T.

Once you get a "GSM" SIM activated they can be swapped between "GSM" phones without contacting Tracfone.

BYOP works fine. I've been using it for years.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have more tmfl sim kits than I'll ever use that I'd value at $2 to cover tax and mailing costs if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by gmannix; 04-21-2019 at 01:15 PM.