Thread: Samsung Galaxy S9 for $275 with port in and plan purchase from Cricket

Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S9 for $275 with port in and plan purchase from Cricket

Credit to this thread on slickdeals:
    https://slickdeals.net/f/13027471-sa...att-274-99?v=1

Link to phone on Cricket:
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...ght-black.html

Port in (not from ATT) and $55 plan required. You should know the drill by now. $75 less than Cyber special and the sale last month so this is pretty hot IMO.

Feedback Score
    Good deal. Shame they don't have the plus version. They really skimp on their phones. For my money I'll get a used S9+ for only slightly more on Swappa.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    Good deal. Shame they don't have the plus version. They really skimp on their phones. For my money I'll get a used S9+ for only slightly more on Swappa.
    Just be aware that you might not get some of the additional features (hot spotting, WiFi calling, VoLTE/HD Voice) when going with a BYOD Android device. YMMV as it's not an exact science.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp21 View Post
    Just be aware that you might not get some of the additional features (hot spotting, WiFi calling, VoLTE/HD Voice) when going with a BYOD Android device. YMMV as it's not an exact science.
    This is because Cricket doesn't have firmware for them. My BYOD S8 has no such issue. If Cricket would carry these Samsung phones this wouldn't be as issue. It really shouldn't be anyway as it isn't a technological issue.

Feedback Score
    This is because Cricket doesn't have firmware for them. My BYOD S8 has no such issue. If Cricket would carry these Samsung phones this wouldn't be as issue. It really shouldn't be anyway as it isn't a technological issue.
    Yes, this is clearly just Cricket/AT&T limiting features and updates as much as they can on non-carrier-branded BYOD devices.

At this point, I'm just drinking the kool-aid and getting my handsets directly from Cricket. I want all of my features to work along with receiving O/S updates. Getting a hold of an active AT&T sim just to update my Moto Z2 Force is annoying. I get VoLTE/HD Voice because it's an AT&T branded handset. But, I don't get WiFi calling - annoying.... My cricket-branded S9 should be sitting in my mailbox when I get home from work today.

I hope that Cricket will change its tune when they switch to only LTE-capable handsets next year, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Lots of great devices out there (Pixel, One+, etc) that I'd like to try out.

Feedback Score
    I don't know why you think you would have had to borrow an AT&T SIM to get updates on the Z2 Force I've gotten to updates on mine just by using the Lenovo smart assistant on my PC.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 plus 256, Galaxy S9 w 250gb micro sd.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T for connected car, AT&T prepaid and T-mobile.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    Credit to this thread on slickdeals:
    https://slickdeals.net/f/13027471-sa...att-274-99?v=1

Link to phone on Cricket:
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...ght-black.html

Port in (not from ATT) and $55 plan required. You should know the drill by now. $75 less than Cyber special and the sale last month so this is pretty hot IMO.
    Well more like $50 cheaper bc you didn’t need to purchase the $55 plan. I purchased the $30 plan. This is a great deal. It’s nice to have iOS and Android in your stable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    I don't know why you think you would have had to borrow an AT&T SIM to get updates on the Z2 Force I've gotten to updates on mine just by using the Lenovo smart assistant on my PC.

I can't update my Galaxy Note 12.2 Pro without an AT&T SIM, but my Samsung phones running U1 all get updates.
    I notice the tech level is generally low on hofo so I typically never engage. I miss the days of high tech/dollar phones only being in nerds hands. Days of the Treo. Back when people thought I was the most insane person for agreeing to a 2 year contract and still spending $300 on a phone. XDA was great then and the same question wasn't asked every 2 seconds.
    Previously I posted how all US variants of the S8 had identical hardware and tried to explain how an update made it so your SIM added carrier customizations. I was told how wrong and dumb I was, it seemed no one could wrap their heads around this concept. HoFo was never as good as XDA. Treo Central was great until it went to android central. Then it became gobs of laymen asking the same questions daily. I eventually got banned for telling everyone to RTFM. None of the staffers can even tell me why I am banned now, but they refuse to unban than email addy. No big. I have long since stopped modding. I need my phone to make money. It isn't a hobby to me anymore.
    I saw an arguement about upgrading every generation and it's cost. I wanted to tell the guy not to worry about my finances. I typically upgrade for $100 out of pocket with the sell of my previous device. I didn't respond at all, but the thread was super heated. Not sure where this tangent came from.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I can't update my Galaxy Note 12.2 Pro without an AT&T SIM, but my Samsung phones running U1 all get updates.
    I notice the tech level is generally low on hofo so I typically never engage. I miss the days of high tech/dollar phones only being in nerds hands. Days of the Treo. Back when people thought I was the most insane person for agreeing to a 2 year contract and still spending $300 on a phone. XDA was great then and the same question wasn't asked every 2 seconds.
    Previously I posted how all US variants of the S8 had identical hardware and tried to explain how an update made it so your SIM added carrier customizations. I was told how wrong and dumb I was, it seemed no one could wrap their heads around this concept. HoFo was never as good as XDA. Treo Central was great until it went to android central. Then it became gobs of laymen asking the same questions daily. I eventually got banned for telling everyone to RTFM. None of the staffers can even tell me why I am banned now, but they refuse to unban than email addy. No big. I have long since stopped modding. I need my phone to make money. It isn't a hobby to me anymore.
    I saw an arguement about upgrading every generation and it's cost. I wanted to tell the guy not to worry about my finances. I typically upgrade for $100 out of pocket with the sell of my previous device. I didn't respond at all, but the thread was super heated. Not sure where this tangent came from.
    I often have a cricket sim in my s9. NEVER have received a update on cricket and since I love phones and am. On hofo I check often. Maybe others have seen a cricket update but haven't. For example, I swapped a t-mobile sim in my s9 @ few days ago and was immediately able to download the April security update.

I'm bouncing from the 35 cricket 5g to split the at&t prepaid 16gb for $79/2 lines. Basically pointless to be on cricket now. I'll t-mobile swap when they offer the iPhone X for $300 or so but - - -

Not even worth it and imo cricket shouldn't be a viable option for anyone.

Sorry for stupid rant. Idiot accepts idiot. But cri met kinda sucks now. Use them for cheap devices to easily be unlocked on the portal only.

Sent from my SM-G960U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post

I tried the Lenovo Smart Assistant multiple times. It kept failing at 51% complete (common problem). Tried all of the various techniques to get it to update with no success.

Feedback Score
    I think the S8 might be the first phone that would change its "branding" when inserting a different carrier sim (provided the phone was unlocked). It was quite odd to see a T-Mobile splash screen and T-Mobile software on my freshly unlocked Cricket S8 as the result of just changing the sim card.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    it is weird

Device(s)
    i95cl
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    Anyone who got this deal having any luck updating to Android 9? Mines stuck on 8

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp21 View Post
    I tried the Lenovo Smart Assistant multiple times. It kept failing at 51% complete (common problem). Tried all of the various techniques to get it to update with no success.
    Mine seemed locked at 51% but I chose the log option (I think) from the phone screen and it was still doing things. Just took a while and then went on. If you switch to log and it still shows it's doing stuff then it's not locked up. That's weird you couldn't get it. Everyone I saw eventually got it to work by waiting or changing the ADB drivers.