Thread: Does Text Now work with Google Voice?

Feedback Score

Does Text Now work with Google Voice?

It's been around 3 years ago that I tried to use TextNow with Google Voice and it did not work. THeir customer service rep did not know. Does anyone know for certain if indeed it does work with GV?

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    It's been around 3 years ago that I tried to use TextNow with Google Voice and it did not work. THeir customer service rep did not know. Does anyone know for certain if indeed it does work with GV?

Thanks
    What do you mean? As a # to forward calls placed to your GV #? Does TextNow provide a real phone #? I thought it was VoIP only. If it's VoIP only, why bother adding TextNow to the mix? It would be better to simply use your GV # over data only via the Hangouts app or the GV app, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    On TextNow, calls use VoIP with cellular fallback on the Sprint phones sold by TextNow. Cellular fallback is not available with BYOP devices or on the T-Mobile network. So on Sprint, at least TextNow can use cellular voice.

I don't think Google Voice cares about cellular vs VoIP anymore , if they ever did. I was able to set up a FreedomPop (VoIP) number as a forwarding phone for Google Voice in January, 2019. So, I suspect that Google Voice would be able to forward incoming calls to TextNow. I don't know it the Google Voice app would be able to intercept outgoing calls from the custom TextNow dialer the way it does from "normal" Android dialers, however.

But, with the Google Voice apps now able to do IP based calls you could use TextNow like a data-only service and use the Google Voice app for incoming and outgoing calls.

Disclaimer: I've never used TextNow so the above is pure speculation.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 04-17-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the TextNow details / clarification, Yeswap.

I do use TextNow, but only as VoIP using their app, which works fine for my uses.

Feedback Score
    AFAIK, Google Voice has never cared if the forward-to number is a VoIP number (as opposed to true cellular or landline). I've been forwarding to VoIP numbers for as long as I have been using GV -- many of them FreedomPop (I've done that off-and-on for years). I've similarly forwarded to TextFree/Pinger for a couple of years. Many folks are now using VoIP as their primary home number (with ISPs like Comcast providing phone service using packetized data over "the Internet" [no matter which "layer"] supplanting circuit-switched home telephony), and GV forwards to those numbers just fine.

I don't know why forwarding to a TextNow number would be any different...

Feedback Score
    This might be a little bit of a tangent, but it's important to note that just about all voice traffic is VoIP at some point. It's mostly last-mile traffic that gets the differentiation. Even if you're one of the few folks left who still have a copper-wire landline, it travels between most destinations as VoIP. For example, a long distance call from a copper-wire landline from a house in Wyoming calls Canada. It travels to the switching station, gets converted to VoIP, and then travels to Canada and back. The only analog portion of that call is the last mile line from the switching station to the copper-wire landline.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    This might be a little bit of a tangent, but it's important to note that just about all voice traffic is VoIP at some point. It's mostly last-mile traffic that gets the differentiation. Even if you're one of the few folks left who still have a copper-wire landline, it travels between most destinations as VoIP. For example, a long distance call from a copper-wire landline from a house in Wyoming calls Canada. It travels to the switching station, gets converted to VoIP, and then travels to Canada and back. The only analog portion of that call is the last mile line from the switching station to the copper-wire landline.
    Well, being a former telco guy, I'd disagree.

"VoIP" means "Voice over Internet Protocol" which for our purposes here is pretty much synonymous with "sending voice traffic over 'the Internet.'" The traffic of folks still using copper to get to their serving wire center/central office at their end, with a destination to someone served by coper at the other end, are most definitely not using 'VoIP" at any point in that chain of communications.

They are, instead, being dumped on aggregated carrier-provided multiplexed high-capacity digital transport. That stuff is NOT "the Internet" by any stretch of the imagination.

So, the path of an old-school analog-over copper long distance call would look like this:

analog telephone>copper wire>serving wire center>conversion to digital>your local central office digital switch>interoffice digital transport (probably over fiber)>local digital tandem switch>"long lines" digital transport (probably over fiber)>distant digital tandem switch>interoffice digital transport (probably over fiber)>distant central office digital switch>conversion to analog>serving wire center>copper wire>analog telephone

This is what AT&T would do/still does. Packetized multiplexed digital traffic in the middle, yes. But definitely not "VoIP" as we all understand it.

My understand regarding the following is limited, but I think even ISPs providing telephony (Comcast, for example) don't really use the same kind of "VoIP" that we might associate with, for example, using Callcentric. Comcast prioritizes your voice traffic to them, and (I think) distributes it on a different "layer" than all the rest of the run-of-the-mill Internet traffic. Or so they have said, at least once, in the past...