Thread: Confused about multi-line discounts/pricing

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score

Confused about multi-line discounts/pricing

I'm a longtime Cricket customer thinking about moving, but it's really hard to get a feel for ATT Prepaid pricing via their terrible web shopping experience. I can't seem to add more than one line to my cart to check on multi-line discounts.

I currently have four lines on Cricket for $100. They have 5gb/each and are at the 8mb throttle (real world seems about 4-5mb). One of my kids hits the limit around the 20th day of every cycle then lives with the throttle. The other three of us don't come close to using all our data, though my wife would like the ability to tether once or twice a month (I can't imagine her using more than 1-2GB/month via tether). I'd also like Canada data/voice.

To make any of these changes at Cricket is going to bump me off the 4/$100 and up my costs at Cricket significantly and/slow down our data. Plus my wife will need a new "approved for tethering phone" on Cricket (and another $10/month).

So what are my options on ATT? How much will they charge (autopay) for say:

- 1 line of 8+gb data (and what happens when it runs out? Massive throttle or is it just shut off?)?
    - 3 lines with 5+GB of data
    - Ability to tether one of the 5+gb lines

Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The current monthly prepaid data plans are 1GBb and 8Gb and they both allow for tethering and have rollover data. There is a discount for autopay. The more lines you add the greater the discount. They have Canada/Mexico voice and data roaming. There is a promo where you can get double the 8Gb of data until July. I think 4 new prepaid lines with 16Gb (bonus data) each will be $120/month. They all would have tethering included.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    The current monthly prepaid data plans are 1GBb and 8Gb and they both allow for tethering and have rollover data. There is a discount for autopay. The more lines you add the greater the discount. They have Canada/Mexico voice and data roaming. There is a promo where you can get double the 8Gb of data until July. I think 4 new prepaid lines with 16Gb (bonus data) each will be $120/month. They all would have tethering included.
    Oh, that's pretty good! Thanks. To be clear on the double data - that's just for a couple months? Or is it something where if you sign up by July, you get that amount for x-amount of time?

If it's just until July, how does ATT treat overages? Does data shut off? Or throttle? Can you purchase an extra amount of data? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
    Oh, that's pretty good! Thanks. To be clear on the double data - that's just for a couple months? Or is it something where if you sign up by July, you get that amount for x-amount of time?

If it's just until July, how does ATT treat overages? Does data shut off? Or throttle? Can you purchase an extra amount of data? Thanks!
    See my thread about this in the cricket prepaid forum. The bonus double data is good for the life of the line, as long as you keep the plan and have auto-pay enabled every month.

After you hit 16gb, it's same as cricket, you get 128kbps speed. I'm sure you can buy extra data if needed, but if you're moving up from 5gb like me, then you'll have tons of data each month.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    See my thread about this in the cricket prepaid forum. The bonus double data is good for the life of the line, as long as you keep the plan and have auto-pay enabled every month.

After you hit 16gb, it's same as cricket, you get 128kbps speed. I'm sure you can buy extra data if needed, but if you're moving up from 5gb like me, then you'll have tons of data each month.
    Thank you. I just saw your other thread. It sounds like we're in very similar circumstances. And you're right -- 16gb is awesome. That should cover just about everyone in the family easily. I'd switch tomorrow if I didn't need to wait 45 days to get two phones unlocked. But come June 1, I'm there.

Related question: Are the discounted/free/incentive phone deals ()available for lines ported in from Cricket? I know they're not great, but they'd be an upgrade for youngest kid stuck on a cracked Huawei P8lite.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
    Thank you. I just saw your other thread. It sounds like we're in very similar circumstances. And you're right -- 16gb is awesome. That should cover just about everyone in the family easily. I'd switch tomorrow if I didn't need to wait 45 days to get two phones unlocked. But come June 1, I'm there.

Related question: Are the discounted/free/incentive phone deals ()available for lines ported in from Cricket? I know they're not great, but they'd be an upgrade for youngest kid stuck on a cracked Huawei P8lite.
    I'm not sure the promo is available direct from Cricket to AT&T prepaid. I plan to port to T-mobile first and then to AT&T, just to make sure I qualify for the double data promo and keep it for a very long time. If you port via T-mobile you should be able to get any phone deal available to new customers.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've done the quick port to TMO in the past. But I still get nervous any time someone messes with my numbers. The fewer hops the better. It probably isn't worth a temporary port just for a phone (for me, anyway), but yeah, if that's what it takes to get the full 16gb data then OK. Cheers!

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I also thought their discounts were possibly confusing - what multi-line and auto-pay discounts applied and when, for example.

But then I found this site and it seemed pretty helpful and clear - https://www.att.com/att/prepaid-multiline-discount/

Of course at this time I assume any of the "8GB" selections are really the 16GB promo while it lasts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nord0296 View Post
    I also thought their discounts were possibly confusing - what multi-line and auto-pay discounts applied and when, for example.

But then I found this site and it seemed pretty helpful and clear - https://www.att.com/att/prepaid-multiline-discount/

Of course at this time I assume any of the "8GB" selections are really the 16GB promo while it lasts.
    Yes I believe you are correct. The fine print mentions multi-line discounts are eligible.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nord0296 View Post

That indeed is a helpful page. I wonder why they bury it. Now that I know it exists I was able to find it via the "Explore ATT Prepaid" option (at the very bottom of that section).

If anyone from ATT is reading, some feedback for you: it would be helpful to have a blurb on the single-line shopping pages (something like "looking for multi-line discounts?"), for those shoppers who have no desire to go exploring.

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure ATT wants this publicized too much more than it is. They want people on post paid family plans, as they generate much more revenue.