Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: thinking about moving from Cricket to AT&T prepaid

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,229
    Feedback Score
    0

    thinking about moving from Cricket to AT&T prepaid

    So Cricket hasn't increased the 5gb data limit on its lines for some time now, we are on 5 lines for $100 (grandfathered). 1 line is a spare line so I only really need 4 lines.

    If I move to AT&T prepaid, I can get 4 lines for $120, and each line goes from 5gb to 16gb with the double promo, plus official hotspot & rollover data.

    I'm seriously tempted to leave Cricket after using it for so long... anyone see any flaws in my thinking in moving to AT&T prepaid?

    Too bad Cricket hasn't kept up with the base data, and hotspot can be a deal killer on Cricket.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19
    Feedback Score
    0
    At&t mixes up their bills. My dad had his bill mixed up with another person's 2 times. I recommend you stay on Tempted.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    399
    Feedback Score
    0
    No. I think you should switch. AT&T prepaid is definitely better, smoother, and you are getting more for your money.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    303
    Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm actually in the exact same boat. Grandfathered in on the 5/$100 (one line actually has 8GB, so I'm paying $110). But if the above is true, then AT&T may be the better choice for $10 more I get 16GB on all lines.

    So I too am curious if there is any downside.

    For example how long does the bonus last? Is that a forever thing, or only for a certain time? The fine print only says until the end of the term, but there is no term in pre-paid.
    Last edited by phlack; 04-17-2019 at 02:29 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,870
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    So Cricket hasn't increased the 5gb data limit on its lines for some time now, we are on 5 lines for $100 (grandfathered). 1 line is a spare line so I only really need 4 lines. If I move to AT&T prepaid, I can get 4 lines for $120, and each line goes from 5gb to 16gb with the double promo, plus official hotspot & rollover data. I'm seriously tempted to leave Cricket after using it for so long... anyone see any flaws in my thinking in moving to AT&T prepaid? Too bad Cricket hasn't kept up with the base data, and hotspot can be a deal killer on Cricket.
    test out AT&T prepaid and see if it's going to work out for you especially WIFI Calling & VoLTE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,229
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler85 View Post
    No. I think you should switch. AT&T prepaid is definitely better, smoother, and you are getting more for your money.
    Thanks. Do you have ATT Prepaid now?
    Quote Originally Posted by NAndNJenney View Post
    At&t mixes up their bills. My dad had his bill mixed up with another person's 2 times. I recommend you stay on Tempted.
    I think this only applies to post-paid accounts. Post-paid accounts have various overages, taxes / fees that can cause the bill to vary from month to month.

    On prepaid, there is no such variation so the bill will never vary.

    Quote Originally Posted by phlack View Post
    I'm actually in the exact same boat. Grandfathered in on the 5/$100 (one line actually has 8GB, so I'm paying $110). But if the above is true, then AT&T may be the better choice for $10 more I get 16GB on all lines.

    So I too am curious if there is any downside.

    For example how long does the bonus last? Is that a forever thing, or only for a certain time? The fine print only says until the end of the term, but there is no term in pre-paid.
    The promo is limited until July, but the bonus is good for the life of the line, so long as you don't change the plan, and you have auto-pay enabled.

    You can enable auto-pay and add a credit card to pay, but you can always add in refill cards (from ebay, callingmart, Target, etc) to pay for the bill, and it will never use your credit card. The advantage to this is you will not pay for taxes and fees since the refills have taxes / fees built into the credit. This is what I do with my one Verizon prepaid account currently.

    here is the entire fine print of the offer:

    Offer ends 7/11/2019. Offer ends in stores at participating locations on 7/11/2019 and online on 7/4/19. Requires activation & payment of new line of service on $50 monthly plan (by offer end date) and AutoPay enrollment by 7/11/19. To receive bonus data each month, you must remain on the $50 Monthly Plan and be enrolled in AutoPay. Once qualifications have been met, bonus data will be applied to customer’s account within 3 days after activation and within 2 days after each qualified renewal. Multi-Line members are eligible as long as account owner is enrolled in AutoPay. Bonus data is used before plan data and does not roll over.

    Not combinable with other promotions and/or discounts. $50 Monthly Plan: Unlimited Talk & Text: Includes unlimited talk and text within the U.S., Mexico & Canada and unlimited text from the U.S. to over 100 countries. For the list of over 100 countries available for texting from the U.S., go to att.com/prepaidintltext.

    Data: Plan includes 8GB of high-speed data. Includes data usage within & between the U.S., Mexico & Canada. After high-speed data allowance is used, speeds are reduced to a max of 128Kbps for rest of 30-day term. Mobile Hotspot use included. Includes Stream Saver: For content we can identify as video, streaming will be at Standard Definition quality (about 480p). AT&T will activate it and you can turn it off or on at any time. Go to att.com/streamsaver for details.

    Pricing, terms & other restrictions subject to change and may be modified or terminated at any time without notice.

    GENERAL TERMS: By activating/using service, you agree to be bound by Terms of Service & Plan Terms (att.com/prepaidterms). You must add money to your account within 26 days of activation, or your account will be canceled.

    Monthly Plans: Service available for 30 days upon payment of plan charge. Monthly plans expire at 11:59 p.m. CT on the 30th day. Calls to special and premium services may be blocked. Service cannot be resold or used for fraudulent purposes. Geographic, usage & other terms, conditions, and restrictions apply. Taxes and other charges may apply, see att.com/prepaid for details. Service provided by AT&T Mobility and is subject to AT&T’s Network management policies, see att.com/broadbandinfo for details.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,235
    Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you want hotspot without paying an extra $10, that alone is worth switching.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,669
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've been on the Cricket 5gb plan for four years but the At&t prepaid 16gb plan is definitely worth the $5.00 if you need the extra data and speed. I'd switch in a heartbeat if I couldn't hotspot on Cricket's 5gb plan.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    724
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I switched back at the end of 2018. I went to Verizon first, which was terrible where I live. I am very happy with AT&T Prepaid, especially now that they have VoLTE and WiFi calling. We occasionally use the hotspot functionality and the roll-over data is nice for times when we travel. At the end of the day, it isn't really costing us any more than we paid on Cricket: $70/month for 2 lines (before refill card discounts), and we get more data and features that we use.
    Durham, NC


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    925
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Thanks. Do you have ATT Prepaid now?
    I think this only applies to post-paid accounts. Post-paid accounts have various overages, taxes / fees that can cause the bill to vary from month to month.

    On prepaid, there is no such variation so the bill will never vary.



    The promo is limited until July, but the bonus is good for the life of the line, so long as you don't change the plan, and you have auto-pay enabled.

    You can enable auto-pay and add a credit card to pay, but you can always add in refill cards (from ebay, callingmart, Target, etc) to pay for the bill, and it will never use your credit card. The advantage to this is you will not pay for taxes and fees since the refills have taxes / fees built into the credit. This is what I do with my one Verizon prepaid account currently.

    here is the entire fine print of the offer:
    Don't you still have taxes and fees on AT&T prepaid?

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    3
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am considering switching to AT&T prepaid as well. I currently have 3 lines for $90 on the unlimited plan with maximum speed 3mbps. No complaints works well. I only use about 3 to 5 GB per month per line. This would give me better speed’s and a hotspot. Is there any difference with coverage with AT&T prepaid? Will you be on 4G less? Are taxes less the postpaid?
    Thanks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,229
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    Don't you still have taxes and fees on AT&T prepaid?

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    The way I understand it is this - if you are paying with credit card / debit card directly for the service, then yes, taxes / fees will be charged. However, if you buy refill cards and put them in your account, then there are no taxes / fees, since the refills should have taxes / fees accounted for already.

    This is the case with Verizon prepaid. So I just buy Verizon refill cards from whereever (eg callingmart - $48 for a $50 refill card, no fees / taxes for the purchase) and then add them to my Verizon prepaid account, and when the credit is used, there are no additional taxes / fees charged.

    Quote Originally Posted by i4devs View Post
    I am considering switching to AT&T prepaid as well. I currently have 3 lines for $90 on the unlimited plan with maximum speed 3mbps. No complaints works well. I only use about 3 to 5 GB per month per line. This would give me better speed’s and a hotspot. Is there any difference with coverage with AT&T prepaid? Will you be on 4G less? Are taxes less the postpaid?
    Thanks.
    AT&T Prepaid should have better coverage than Cricket, given it's AT&T's premier prepaid, but any differences should be minor.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    724
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    Don't you still have taxes and fees on AT&T prepaid?

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Not if you put refill cards on your account and pay with them. Additionally, you can get these through a number of places like Target, Best Buy, ebay, etc. for less than face value at times. As long as you have a credit card listed on your account, you still get the auto-pay discount(s), even if they never charge it due to the prepaid credit balance. If I didn't do this, I would pay $75.93/month for 2 8GB lines. By doing this, I pay ~$65 at most.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    303
    Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    0
    If I decide to do this, what's the best way to go about this? Go into a corporate store with all 4 phones and have them issue new sim cards?
    Or do this online and have them mail to me (it will be hard for one of my family members to be with us, as he's in college...luckily not far away)? However, what happens in the meantime when I order the SIMs and they are in the mail? Do I lose all cell connectivity while they are mailed? The store seems easier.

    Also, I have one phone that was recently purchased from Cricket...therefore I assume it's locked to Cricket. It hasn't been 6 months yet, and I don't recall if it will be 6 months by the time this promo ends. Any recommendations here, aside from buying a new phone?

    Thanks!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    724
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by phlack View Post
    If I decide to do this, what's the best way to go about this? Go into a corporate store with all 4 phones and have them issue new sim cards?
    Or do this online and have them mail to me (it will be hard for one of my family members to be with us, as he's in college...luckily not far away)? However, what happens in the meantime when I order the SIMs and they are in the mail? Do I lose all cell connectivity while they are mailed? The store seems easier.

    Also, I have one phone that was recently purchased from Cricket...therefore I assume it's locked to Cricket. It hasn't been 6 months yet, and I don't recall if it will be 6 months by the time this promo ends. Any recommendations here, aside from buying a new phone?

    Thanks!
    Not sure about the phone question, but going to the store worked for me. Very easy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking about moving from BlueHost to Host1Plus
    By Crzynewbaby in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM
  3. Question about moving from Verizon to AT&T
    By cifrancgx in forum AT&T
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 08:12 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 10:46 PM
  5. Moving from Nextel to AT&T - Q about termination
    By mymontreal in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 07:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks