Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: thinking about moving from Cricket to AT&T prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Any updates? Did you pull the trigger on your plan? I’m thinking of the same thing. Logistics don’t work for me to do this in store since 2 of the phones in my Cricket group are out of town. I was going to order online and switch out later.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    My experience:
    I went into a AT&T corporate store intending to do just this.
    They flatly told me that I would NOT get the bonus because I was coming from Cricket. They were very adamant on this (and actually recommended I not do it) and cited information from corporate...although it's still not in the fine print anywhere (which they admitted).
    (whether or not they were actually correct, or if AT&T finally decided to not allow Cricket ports is a different question)

They said I'd have to port out to someone else (ie t-mobile) first.
    If it was just my line, I would go through the hassle, but I have 4 phones I'm dealing with, with one of them in college (the kid, not the phone!) and having to swap SIM cards a couple of times was too much to deal with for a data plan none of us really need (other than it would be nice to have). Since I'm on the 5/$100 (now 4/$100 as I dropped my last line in anticipation of doing this) plan, I have no reason to upgrade to unlimited and lose the grandfathered discount.

I can only hope Cricket ups their plans soon, or another MNVO on the AT&T network will offer something similar to this bonus plan soon.

The store personnel spent a lot of time trying to sell me on other stuff, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phlack View Post
    My experience:
    They flatly told me that I would NOT get the bonus because I was coming from Cricket. They were very adamant on this (and actually recommended I not do it) and cited information from corporate...although it's still not in the fine print anywhere (which they admitted).
    (whether or not they were actually correct, or if AT&T finally decided to not allow Cricket ports is a different question)

If it was just my line, I would go through the hassle, but I have 4 phones I'm dealing with, with one of them in college (the kid, not the phone!) and having to swap SIM cards a couple of times was too much to deal with for a data plan none of us really need (other than it would be nice to have). Since I'm on the 5/$100 (now 4/$100 as I dropped my last line in anticipation of doing this) plan, I have no reason to upgrade to unlimited and lose the grandfathered discount.

I can only hope Cricket ups their plans soon, or another MNVO on the AT&T network will offer something similar to this bonus plan soon.

The store personnel spent a lot of time trying to sell me on other stuff, though.
    Okay if you dropped a line that's a change on your plan, you should no longer have the grandfathered amount. at this point you might as well just switch them all over to the 4 for 100 unlimited.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    My experience:

Thanks for the report - I despise going into cell phone “stores”, I avoid them like the plague. That’s one reason I went with prepaid - I’ve been on a prepaid plan for over 7 years and never had to visit a store!

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    Okay if you dropped a line that's a change on your plan, you should no longer have the grandfathered amount. at this point you might as well just switch them all over to the 4 for 100 unlimited.
    Hopefully not. I didn't get that impression from the site (since it was a freebie line, and I wasn't adding or changing the plan itself).
    But, if you're right, and I do get un-grandfathered, I'll probably just convert to the unlimited 3mb plan.

I've already started looking at other providers, but really haven't seen anything worthwhile to switch to whilest staying on the AT&T network.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully not. I didn't get that impression from the site (since it was a freebie line, and I wasn't adding or changing the plan itself).
    But, if you're right, and I do get un-grandfathered, I'll probably just convert to the unlimited 3mb plan.

I've already started looking at other providers, but really haven't seen anything worthwhile to switch to whilest staying on the AT&T network.
    I have some kids in their early twenties and a teenager on our unlimited plan and they have no problems with it. It's a pretty good deal.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    I have some kids in their early twenties and a teenager on our unlimited plan and they have no problems with it. It's a pretty good deal.
    Unfortunately, I think you're right about I got ungrandafathered.
    The TOC says cancelling a line is a change (ironic how saving them money winds up costing me). Serves me right for trying to get a better deal!
    I used to owe $110 (as one of my lines was actually on the 8GB plan). Now it's telling me I owe $120. #@*$&!

So, changing to the 4 line unlimited will bring me back to $100 (a $10 overall/month from before, since I don't care about the 5th line)
    However, it's telling me I will need to cough up ~$45 if I start it now (my cycle started last week). I'm hoping that $45 will credit for next month (costing me $55 next month). I'll do a chat with them just to make sure, otherwise I'll start it next month.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, I think you're right about I got ungrandafathered.
    The TOC says cancelling a line is a change (ironic how saving them money winds up costing me). Serves me right for trying to get a better deal!
    I used to owe $110 (as one of my lines was actually on the 8GB plan). Now it's telling me I owe $120. #@*$&!

So, changing to the 4 line unlimited will bring me back to $100 (a $10 overall/month from before, since I don't care about the 5th line)
    However, it's telling me I will need to cough up ~$45 if I start it now (my cycle started last week). I'm hoping that $45 will credit for next month (costing me $55 next month). I'll do a chat with them just to make sure, otherwise I'll start it next month.
    It will credit.

Feedback Score
    I ported to a different carrier and then to ATT prepaid. Kind of sad to leave Cricket after years of wonderful service, but the new promos are too hard to resist plus no BS hot spot the way it should be. Hoping Cricket will stick around and remain competitive as a future option if needed. Never had a complaint with Cricket except for the worry about hot spot, and lack of recent data increases from 5GB for $40 which is not competitive any more.

Good luck Cricket...hope you stick around and remain competitive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Good luck Cricket...hope you stick around and remain competitive.
    The 5/$100 OGs are surely sticking around

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Do people really feel significantly accomplished moving within Att owned network? The more I read I feel like Cricket is another company, now everybody must be on Att prepaid to feel accomplished, lol. Good luck same company.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    The 5/$100 OGs are surely sticking around
    yep I am a grandfather in this plan and hard to find anything better. After I also get discounted refill cards this is ending up at $16-17 per month per line for 5GB 8mbps data and AT&T coverage network

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score

thinking about moving from Cricket to AT&T prepaid

Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    Do people really feel significantly accomplished moving within Att owned network? The more I read I feel like Cricket is another company, now everybody must be on Att prepaid to feel accomplished, lol. Good luck same company.
    I wouldn't say "accomplished" necessarily is it, but just that AT&T had neglected and ignored GoPhone and later AT&T Prepaid for so long compared with Cricket and now the feature set and pricing is very attractive.

Personally, I see each having pros and cons and pricing being good enough options depending on what you want out of service, but there's always been a lot of people that would really like it Cricket added _____ over the years and some of these AT&T Prepaid has done. There's probably a few that care about the carrier logo in the corner of their device, but I think it's really jumping around to see what product is right for you, especially not being worried about different coverage if you'd go to another carrier.

This sort of seems equivalent to if you were doing pay TV and had the choice between U-verse, DirecTV, and DirecTV Now and jumped between them, there'd be some questions and things to iron out, but ultimately AT&T is going to still get your money.

I think Cricket offers enough for me right now (toyed with the idea of going to AT&T Prepaid and T-Mobile Prepaid), and is still sort of left alone to operate independently. I suspect if AT&T Prepaid starts getting more attention, there might be some annoying changes like they did with DirecTV Now (migrating to AT&T IDs, changing billing, etc.)

My only wish would be for the Unlimited plan to get a slight speed bump (maybe 5Mbps?) just because it would be nice, but 3 is still sufficient for most things I do.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    My only wish would be for the Unlimited plan to get a slight speed bump (maybe 5Mbps?) just because it would be nice, but 3 is still sufficient for most things I do.
    Agreed. I'm switching to the 3mb/s unlimited plan because I lost my grandfather status (eliminating an unused line raises MY costs...how generous of them) and actually saving $10/month. I'm guessing the speed won't matter, but 5mb/s would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    After I also get discounted refill cards this is ending up at $16-17 per month per line for 5GB 8mbps data and AT&T coverage network
    Where do you get them?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Where do you get them?
    A lot of us have gotten them from places like Target, Best Buy, Kroger, or Meijer when they go on sale—typically a buy-one-get-one-_%-off deal. Since Cricket cards don't expire once loaded into your account, I usually buy a few months' worth and load onto my account.
    Last edited by ecs0013; 07-08-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast