Thread: GVoice Callback apk (after being unpublished from Google Play Store)

Feedback Score

GVoice Callback apk (after being unpublished from Google Play Store)

For some miraculous reason, Google's policy enforcers cannot fathom that the core functionality of this app is to proxy calls, and hence the app is unpublished from Google Play Store. In case it's still useful to some, I'm posting a link here to the apk file: gvoicecallback_netlify_com/#install.

For those who don't know, here is a copy-and-paste of the store listing:

Use Google Voice Callback to make free North America / cheap international calls

----

GVoice Callback captures outgoing calls and uses Google Voice to connect you, by calling you back at one of your verified numbers and, after you accept the callback, connecting you to the party originally dialed. This workflow is similar to Voice+ (no longer functional) or Google Voice's mobile web interface.

GVoice Callback is useful if you use Google Voice as your main number and a VoIP provider (e.g., FreedomPop, Talkatone, TextNow, Text Me, Sideline) that does not work with the official app (your carrier number will be displayed by default). It is also useful if your inbound calls are cheaper (or even free; e.g., Truphone) than outbound ones.

Full instructions (including a no-cost VoIP setup based on FreedomPop, Linphone and CallCentric): gvoicecallback_netlify_com. If you encounter any problems, please don't hesitate to contact me via email. You could also try requesting a callback on your DESKTOP browser in order to rule out problems with VoIP setups (e.g., codecs, etc.).

Features:

(1) Call filter allows a single Java regex. Examples: To use GVoice Callback for international calls only, specify "^011.*"; for selected area codes: "^(321|456).*"; to exclude area codes: "^(?!321|456).*"

(2) Auto answer relies on several hacks, as Android does not provide direct support for it. Marshmallow and above requires Notification access.

(3) Call log integration: outgoing call preserved, incoming call from Google properly merged (if received by the system phone app).

(4) Toggle widget.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    In case anybody is interested, the link https://gvoicecallback.netlify.com/#install is on the GVoice Callback https://gvoicecallback.netlify.com/ page.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    What would be the advantage in using this app other than with Truphone?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    For me, the Google Voice app is still somewhat unreliable (e.g., it once in a while won't ring when someone calls) and is not really configurable. So I use Linphone (with the G.729 codec), which has decent quality even under 3G speeds.

But yes, I think people with free incoming calls benefit most from a callback app.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocwhite View Post
    So I use Linphone (with the G.729 codec), which has decent quality even under 3G speeds.
    I have never heard of Linphone so out of curiosity I checked out the website. I'm not familiar with the technology and when I got to the part where it reads "SIP TLS with state-of-the-art cypher algorithms" my eyes had glazed over.

But I'm glad it's working for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I used it for a while to setup calls with my landline. It can be configured to callback to any of your GV forwarding numbers, not just the cellphone the app is on.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I used it for a while to setup calls with my landline. It can be configured to callback to any of your GV forwarding numbers, not just the cellphone the app is on.
    That would be useful if someone wants to use their GV # but also use a speakerphone function of a home or office phone that might work better than a low-end cell phone, for example.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That would be useful if someone wants to use their GV # but also use a speakerphone function of a home or office phone that might work better than a low-end cell phone, for example.
    Yes. For calls longer than 30 seconds I prefer to use my landline cordless phone with a headset. I also did it because I don't have any long distance service on my landline. It also serves to send my called party my GV number rather than whichever phone I am using. I only want my contacts to see one number for me - the GV number.

I found the callback app to only be intermittently reliable. GV is known to make changes in their inner workings that probably broke the callback app functionality until the devs re-jiggered it.

I switched to using the GV website to do the callbacks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    https://gvoicecallback.netlify.com/#filter indicates:

5.8 Callback filter (Java regex; default: ^(\+|[0-9]).*)
    A pretty basic number filter, but can also be rather powerful because you can use any Java regex: numbers not matching the regex will be ignored and not handled by the app. For example, to use GVoice Callback for:
    •International calls only: ^011.*
    •Selected area codes: ^(321|456).*
    •Exclude numbers that start with 011 or (area code) 654: ^(?!011|654).*

Can someone show me exactly what the string should be to use the native dialer instead of GV callback if the # dialed is less than 7 digits? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Can someone show me exactly what the string should be to use the native dialer instead of GV callback if the # dialed is less than 7 digits? Thanks!
    Something like this will make it to only use GV Callback for # digits >= 7: ^\+?[0-9]{7,}$

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Something like this will make it to only use GV Callback for # digits >= 7: ^\+?[0-9]{7,}$
    Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! I'll give that a try.
    In limited testing so far, that seems to work! Thank you very much for providing that string!