Thread: Unpaid Bills - Move to Another Carrier?

Feedback Score

Question Unpaid Bills - Move to Another Carrier?

I have an iPhone X for which the original owner defaulted on the bills. Because the phone was part of a family account with ten devices Verizon refuses to accept purchase outright.

1. Can the phone be unlocked with software, an online service or otherwise?
    2. Can it be moved to another carrier?
    3. Do the Verizon iPhone X have CDMA and GSM radios?

TIA

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silekonn View Post
    I have an iPhone X for which the original owner defaulted on the bills. Because the phone was part of a family account with ten devices Verizon refuses to accept purchase outright.

1. Can the phone be unlocked with software, an online service or otherwise?
    2. Can it be moved to another carrier?
    3. Do the Verizon iPhone X have CDMA and GSM radios?

TIA
    All US iPhones work on GSM based carriers. Only some iPhones support CDMA too. The Verizon one does.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon iPhone X was sold unlocked. I dont know if the phone would be somehow blacklisted for non payment. That account must be pretty far gone if they wont accept a payoff.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Verizon phones are not blacklisted because of non payments. As long as the phone was deactivated by the original owner prior to selling it. It could be used on another service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes I can confirm this. Since iPhones in Verizon are already unlocked you should be good to go.

Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckystreich View Post
    Verizon iPhone X was sold unlocked. I dont know if the phone would be somehow blacklisted for non payment. That account must be pretty far gone if they wont accept a payoff.

all verizon phones are locked at point of sale. once there active on an acct for 24 hrs then there unlocked to prevent theft. the only reason verizon locks there phones is when someone runs up a huge bill!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_stud View Post
    the only reason verizon locks there phones is when someone runs up a huge bill!!!
    What do you think did happen there with a 10 people "family" account, all with iPhone X??? Hit and run, that's what happen.
    The iPhones are not "locked", just blacklisted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    What do you think did happen there with a 10 people "family" account, all with iPhone X??? Hit and run, that's what happen.
    The iPhones are not "locked", just blacklisted.
    Probably reported stolen. No US carriers blacklist for unpaid bills, just lost/stolen.

Feedback Score
    I've got an ipad from Sprint like that right now.
    There was apparently an unpaid bill on it or something and Sprint refuses to give any info or allow it to be paid so it can't be activated on Sprint's network but they are only shooting themselves in the foot because it's an ipad air and works on all carriers so now I have an ipad air that works on any carrier except Sprint.

I mean if this was still back when the device only worked on one network this would make since but today many devices you can just pop in another sim and your on a different network.

As it is they aren't punishing people who skip out on the bill as much as they are ensuring whoever ends up with the device will <b>never</b> be able to pay them for service forcing them to another carrier.

Which considering how ipads handle prepaid is absolutely trivial.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    I've got an ipad from Sprint like that right now.
    There was apparently an unpaid bill on it or something and Sprint refuses to give any info or allow it to be paid so it can't be activated on Sprint's network but they are only shooting themselves in the foot because it's an ipad air and works on all carriers so now I have an ipad air that works on any carrier except Sprint.

I mean if this was still back when the device only worked on one network this would make since but today many devices you can just pop in another sim and your on a different network.

As it is they aren't punishing people who skip out on the bill as much as they are ensuring whoever ends up with the device will <b>never</b> be able to pay them for service forcing them to another carrier.

Which considering how ipads handle prepaid is absolutely trivial.
    This is true. AT&T is even less strict then the other carriers. The other carriers can block the phone/iPad from being used on their own network but there is nothing to stop anyone from using the devices on any other carrier. AT&T doesn't do this and will allow their unpaid devices to continue working on their network because, well, they love money.

The only bad thing about the iPads is that Verizon and AT&T lock the eSim so that the iPads eSim can only be activated on their respective carriers. To activate on another carrier, you have to use a physical sim.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    The only bad thing about the iPads is that Verizon and AT&T lock the eSim so that the iPads eSim can only be activated on their respective carriers. To activate on another carrier, you have to use a physical sim.
    You’re thinking Apple sim. The eSim can be added by any carrier that supports it, and you can have multiple and pick from one for service. I have a Tmobile iPad Mini a Tmobile eSIm, AT&T eSim, and Verizon sim. All on cheap plans, so I can swap depending on coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - acadiel