Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Tracfone and friends

Feedback Score

Fun with Tracfone and friends

Hi,

I’ll do my best to condense this down, but apologies in advance.

Basically, I had two iPhones on Xfinity Mobile. I had both unlocked two weeks ago by Xfinity Mobile. One of the iPhones is now running on Red Pocket CDMA. (For background, the Red Pocket line was attached to a Red Pocket GSM sim. Since the iPhone can do CDMA, I had Red Pocket transfer the line to a CDMA sim. It worked successfully.)

The second iPhone will be used on Tracfone. It currently uses the Tracfone GSM sim and works great. Since I also wanted to transfer this phone over to CDMA, I bought a new Tracfone SIM kit and begun the transfer process with support yesterday.

At the time, they told me to wait 20 mins until the GSM disconnects, insert the CDMA sim, make a call, and it should work. It did not.

Today the phone is still connected to TF GSM. When I placed the new CDMA sim into the phone, it does find the network, but placing a call sends me to a Verizon ‘computerised’ operator who tells me they’ll direct me to an operator where I can pay by credit card. So clearly something was up.

So I chatted with TF support, and after getting directed to the porting department, told me that the device is still activated on Verizon’s network. And that since it is activated with them, it cannot be unlocked yet. (I’m assuming by unlock they mean freed for use on TF vs unlocked sim.)

I’m not really sure what to do now or where to begin. TF tell me to contact Verizon, when the phone is actually from Xfinity who do use Verizon. However I find it strange that my other phone works fine on Red Pocket Verizon, but this one has issues.

Any thoughts as to where to go from here?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniloh View Post
    The second iPhone will be used on Tracfone. It currently uses the Tracfone GSM sim and works great. Since I also wanted to transfer this phone over to CDMA, I bought a new Tracfone SIM kit and begun the transfer process with support yesterday.

At the time, they told me to wait 20 mins until the GSM disconnects, insert the CDMA sim, make a call, and it should work. It did not.

Today the phone is still connected to TF GSM. When I placed the new CDMA sim into the phone, it does find the network, but placing a call sends me to a Verizon ‘computerised’ operator who tells me they’ll direct me to an operator where I can pay by credit card. So clearly something was up.

Sounds like the transfer from the GSM SIM to the CDMA SIM wasn't fully completed.
    1. Can the phone still make/receive calls with the GSM SIM? If yes, service was not transferred to the CDMA SIM.
    2. If the phone no longer can make/receive calls with the GSM SIM, then the number has been transferred to the CDMA SIM. If you got the Verizon message about paying with a credit card when making a call, then your balances did not get transferred to the CDMA SIM yet.

Your balance info is kept at two places: within TF system, and in the carrier's system. When you transferred from one carrier (AT&T) to another (Verizon), TF has to "push" the balance info out to the new carrier's system. Sometimes there's a delay, from a few hours to a day, especially when you do the transfer on a holiday/weekend because there's some human intervention involved. Sometimes it can go totally wrong and you lose your balance and/or phone number. Contact TF again to get it sorted out.

Unlocking is not an issue here. If the phone wasn't accepting the CDMA SIM, you would have gotten a "SIM error" massage, and you wouldn't be able to make the call using the CDMA SIM at all.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

I’ll do my best to condense this down, but apologies in advance.

Basically, I had two iPhones on Xfinity Mobile. I had both unlocked two weeks ago by Xfinity Mobile. One of the iPhones is now running on Red Pocket CDMA. (For background, the Red Pocket line was attached to a Red Pocket GSM sim. Since the iPhone can do CDMA, I had Red Pocket transfer the line to a CDMA sim. It worked successfully.)

So I chatted with TF support, and after getting directed to the porting department, told me that the device is still activated on Verizon’s network. And that since it is activated with them, it cannot be unlocked yet. (I’m assuming by unlock they mean freed for use on TF vs unlocked sim.)

I’m not really sure what to do now or where to begin. TF tell me to contact Verizon, when the phone is actually from Xfinity who do use Verizon. However I find it strange that my other phone works fine on Red Pocket Verizon, but this one has issues.

Thanks!
    Check the IMEI on some other IMEI checkers to see what they tell you.
    https://swappa.com/esn
    https://www.redpocket.com/activate

You could also check back with Xfinity to see if they can tell you anything.

However, I don't understand how TF could have even started the port in if the IMEI was still locked to Vzw. You could also check back with TF to see if you get the same answer again. Some TF CSRs are better than others.

Finally, are you 100% sure you're providing TF with the correct IMEI?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Sounds like the transfer from the GSM SIM to the CDMA SIM wasn't fully completed.
    Hey, hpham!

Thank you for your input!

To answer your question, yes, the phone was able to receive (though I did not answer) a call from the other iPhone when on the GSM sim.

When I first restarted it with the CDMA sim, it said on the lock screen that it was attempting to activate and that it may take time. After about 10 mins it came up with 'Failed to activate'.

So I'd agree, something seems to be up on TF's end. Fortunately I read through the forums here before starting this, and got CS to read back my data/min/txt to me. So at least I have that on record.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Check the IMEI on some other IMEI checkers to see what they tell you.
    https://swappa.com/esn
    https://www.redpocket.com/activate

You could also check back with Xfinity to see if they can tell you anything.

However, I don't understand how TF could have even started the port in if the IMEI was still locked to Vzw. You could also check back with TF to see if you get the same answer again. Some TF CSRs are better than others.

Finally, are you 100% sure you're providing TF with the correct IMEI?
    Thanks for your input, Boz1!

Swappa came back with no device found, but I checked with Red Pocket support and they said:
    Return Message: Device Certified
    you can use this device

I believe I gave them the correct IMEI. I think I copy/pasted it direct from the iPhone screen and send it over.

On my Tracfone account it currently states that 'Activation in Progress' for the SIM number and phone number in question.

I did, however, have a tough time trying to tell the first person what I wanted to do. Twice he flat-out told me that he couldn't do it. I *think* the issue came from a misunderstanding of Xfinity Mobile and how it's a Verizon MVNO. Who knows if something there got confused along the way.

But I'm confused how this relates to Verizon at all. Surely they're the ones I'm 'porting into' not porting out of. Do you think it's possible the first guy has already activated it somehow, and now they're trying to do it again, it's essentially saying 'already complete'?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On my Tracfone account it currently states that 'Activation in Progress' for the SIM number and phone number in question.
    That means the transfer isn't complete yet. Occasionally, when there's a hold up, you log into your TF account and see a pending message asking you to confirm the phone number being transferred. But that doesn't sound like the case here.

With the CDMA SIM installed, when you go into the phone's setting and look at its info (About Phone on an Android, I don't know where on iPhones), do you see your phone number? If your phone number is there, then the porting from AT&T to Verizon was completed. If not, someone in TF Porting Dept needs to do that step. That's the step that requires human intervention.

If your phone number is shown in the CDMA SIM but you get the Verizon message about paying, then the balance info is not in Verizon system yet.

Feedback Score
    That means the transfer isn't complete yet. Occasionally, when there's a hold up, you log into your TF account and see a pending message asking you to confirm the phone number being transferred. But that doesn't sound like the case here.

With the CDMA SIM installed, when you go into the phone's setting and look at its info (About Phone on an Android, I don't know where on iPhones), do you see your phone number? If your phone number is there, then the porting from AT&T to Verizon was completed. If not, someone in TF Porting Dept needs to do that step. That's the step that requires human intervention.

If your phone number is shown in the CDMA SIM but you get the Verizon message about paying, then the balance info is not in Verizon system yet.
    I don't have the phone with me right now, but I did check earlier and the phone number line was blank. So I think you're right in that it looks like they haven't completed the port. I'll contact them now and see if I can get transferred to the porting department. Maybe someone will be able to see what's going on and get it working.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Hey, hpham!

Thank you for your input!

To answer your question, yes, the phone was able to receive (though I did not answer) a call from the other iPhone when on the GSM sim.

When I first restarted it with the CDMA sim, it said on the lock screen that it was attempting to activate and that it may take time. After about 10 mins it came up with 'Failed to activate'.

So I'd agree, something seems to be up on TF's end. Fortunately I read through the forums here before starting this, and got CS to read back my data/min/txt to me. So at least I have that on record.

Thanks for your input, Boz1!

Swappa came back with no device found, but I checked with Red Pocket support and they said:
    Return Message: Device Certified
    you can use this device

I believe I gave them the correct IMEI. I think I copy/pasted it direct from the iPhone screen and send it over.

I did, however, have a tough time trying to tell the first person what I wanted to do. Twice he flat-out told me that he couldn't do it. I *think* the issue came from a misunderstanding of Xfinity Mobile and how it's a Verizon MVNO. Who knows if something there got confused along the way.

But I'm confused how this relates to Verizon at all. Surely they're the ones I'm 'porting into' not porting out of. Do you think it's possible the first guy has already activated it somehow, and now they're trying to do it again, it's essentially saying 'already complete'?
    You're welcome!

It relates because Verizon is the same network for both Xfinity and TF Vzw.

I'd say anything's possible with TF. When I ported in my parents' #s to TF, both ports got stuck somewhere, so I started an online chat, was eventually transferred to the port department, and the ports went through while I was still on the chat.

That said, I'm sure there are still some less than good TF CSRs, so I'd definitely get on a new chat to see if a different CSR can give you better or additional info. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    You're welcome!

It relates because Verizon is the same network for both Xfinity and TF Vzw.

I'd say anything's possible with TF. When I ported in my parents' #s to TF, both ports got stuck somewhere, so I started an online chat, was eventually transferred to the port department, and the ports went through while I was still on the chat.

That said, I'm sure there are still some less than good TF CSRs, so I'd definitely get on a new chat to see if a different CSR can give you better or additional info. Good luck!
    Okay, so here's the 'essential' part of the TF support conversation:

TF: May I know the previous service provider of the new phone?
    You: Xfinity (Verizon)
    TF: I see.
    TF: Did you attempt to contact Xfinity about the phone?
    You: Only to unlock the phone, which they said was successful.
    TF: I see.
    TF: However, they will need to deactivate the phone on their end.
    TF: We are unable to process the request to transfer this phone number to the new phone.
    TF: It is showing up that the phone is still active with XFinity.
    You: I see. Ok, I will contact them again to find out what is going on. So the problem isn't with the phone number, it is with the phone itself?
    TF: Yes.

So basically I got the same response I had with the previous support agent. It's an issue with Xfinity.

Now I have a severe lack of knowledge of how CDMA phones work, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Unlike GSM, service is more tied to the phone as opposed to the SIM?

If this is the case I *may* know what's up. While I did get the phones unlocked by Xfinity, I still have the original Xfinity CDMA sims active. Since they're not inside the phone, I figured I could keep them active and use them as emergency. (Xfinity only charge taxes, so $6 or so a month for 2x SIMS).

Could the fact that the SIMS are still active be the hold up? However, if this is the case, why would my other iPhone work on Red Pocket CDMA, which also has an active SIM?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If this is the case I *may* know what's up. While I did get the phones unlocked by Xfinity, I still have the original Xfinity CDMA sims active. Could the fact that the SIMS are still active be the hold up? However, if this is the case, why would my other iPhone work on Red Pocket CDMA, which also has an active SIM?
    To activate a TF BYOP CDMA SIM, you need to supply the IMEI of a phone (supposedly where that SIM will be used). That IMEI must be on TF/Verizon "whitelist" (not stolen, not still on contract, not active on TF or another carrier). Apparently, the last category got you.

I don't know about Red Pocket. Maybe they don't keep tracking of the IMEI of the phones using their service, or don't provide the info to Verizon (but Xfinity does). Just guessing.

We sometimes get around the whitelist by supplying any valid IMEI, not necessarily of the phone where the SIM will actually be used. Some people, myself included, bought a broken phone on Ebay with a clean IMEI and use it to activate a TF BYOP CDMA SIM when the IMEI of our actual phone won't pass the whitelist for one reason or another.

Feedback Score
    To activate a TF BYOP CDMA SIM, you need to supply the IMEI of a phone (supposedly where that SIM will be used). That IMEI must be on TF/Verizon "whitelist" (not stolen, not still on contract, not active on TF or another carrier). Apparently, the last category got you.

I don't know about Red Pocket. Maybe they don't keep tracking of the IMEI of the phones using their service.

We sometimes get around the whitelist by supplying any valid IMEI, not necessarily of the phone where the SIM will actually be used. Some people, myself included, bought a broken phone on Ebay with a clean IMEI and use it to activate a TF BYOP CDMA SIM when the IMEI of our actual phone won't pass the whitelist for one reason or another.
    Well, it sounds like you hit the nail on the head. I remember talking to you eons ago about using a whitelisted IMEI for another phone. I think I'd rather cancel the old SIM and whitelist the phone. But in the meantime I'll keep the TF on GSM until it runs out.

Should I tell TF to cancel the port process to leave everything as it is? I guess that'd be safer than leaving it in limbo?

As for Red Pocket, perhaps they just want the money with no questions asked. Works for me!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Daniloh, are you porting in a # from Xfinity, or getting a new phone #? If porting in, there really should not be an issue. If NOT porting in, i.e., you're getting a new # with TF, you'll need to verify that the IMEI is deactivated and no longer in the Xfinity system.

Red Pocket can't just "get around" a Vzw system. The issue for the problem phone is either something TF did wrong, or it is somehow not released from Xfinity according to Vzw.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I'll bet the line attached to the phone on RP is no longer active.

How RP activated a line for that device w/o porting the number is anyone's guess. It's not supposed to work. It's a theft protection measure. Otherwise any random person could activate your phone with a new number.

And that's what the TF port/activation is hitting.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket can't just "get around" a Vzw system. The issue for the problem phone is either something TF did wrong, or it is somehow not released from Xfinity according to Vzw.
    They said the phones are still tied to active Xfinity accounts.

At a loss how RP activated the one it did if the number wasn't ported out.

Feedback Score
    Daniloh, are you porting in a # from Xfinity, or getting a new phone #? If porting in, there really should not be an issue. If NOT porting in, i.e., you're getting a new # with TF, you'll need to verify that the IMEI is deactivated and no longer in the Xfinity system.

What I'm trying to do is switch networks on TF. The GSM sim works fine in the phone, but the issue is with getting Tracfone to bring it over to the CDMA sim... which appears to be due to the issue you're stating.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I'll bet the line attached to the phone on RP is no longer active.

How RP activated a line for that device w/o porting the number is anyone's guess. It's not supposed to work. It's a theft protection measure. Otherwise any random person could activate your phone with a new number.

And that's what the TF port/activation is hitting.
    According to the Xfinity website, the phone number is still active. At least it is for the moment. Perhaps it'll disappear next month after I pay this month's cycle of billing.

Aside from requesting the unlock, I never told Xfinity to cancel the plan, or to port out a number. As far as they're concerned, I'm simply not using the phone on the network.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    They said the phones are still tied to active Xfinity accounts.

At a loss how RP activated the one it did if the number wasn't ported out.
    No number was ported from Xfinity.

I bought the phones from Xfinity because of the Visa-card cash back deal they had last year. After satisfying their requirements for the cash back, I planned to unlock them and use them with my current lines. (One Red Pocket, one TF).

Ideally, I wanted to keep the Xfinity cards around (they give unlimited minutes and texts for free for just the tax)—maybe even use them on the eSIM if they ever activate it. And instead use the phones primarily on Red Pocket and TF (both CDMA).

I'm getting the feeling that I've slipped through some crack with the Red Pocket. Now I'm curious what would happen if I bought a new Red Pocket SIM for the TF one. Would I get stopped, or would they let it through? But it appears that the safest course of action—assuming I want to make the 'bad' phone work on Vzw TF, would be to cancel the line at Xfinity.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    According to the Xfinity website, the phone number is still active.
    Not sure about the website. I was thinking if you try to use that SIM.
    Would I get stopped
    You should be, but you should have before.
    Only one account/number can be assigned to a phone at a time. Particularly with Verizon since they tie IMEI, SIM, and number together in the computer.

Now the eSIM complicates things, you have a dial sim device (physical SIM and he eSIM) and that's new territory for Verizon.
    Normally dual SIM devices have 2 IMEIs, and I assume the iPhone does too. Buy you said the eSIM isn't active.

But maybe you gave RP the 2nd IMEI?
    Since it's only really used to internal, you could use it as a place holder for a 2nd SIM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast