Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sprintís Merger With T-Mobile Is Taking Too Long. Itís Time to Worry. - Barron's

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QkTreasures View Post
    Do you have data roaming on?

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app
    Yes, Roaming is on.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    I agree with you, though it would be nice to see more of what you describe here in South Orange County, CA. I'm happy if I can get 5Mbps and 150ms latency... It's another reason I so much want to choose my own LTE bands.

The good news is that our office is 10' under a TMo Band 4 site, so this is as good as it gets here:

• 80.5 down 41.2 up and 29ms ping on the test I just ran on B4. This is better than I was expecting to get.

I wish it was half as good as that across the parking lot in Ralphs, but the panels aren't visible from street level. They aren't even visible until you go above the roofline.

But yeah, I don't have any use for a massive 1000Mbps data pipe. I use maybe 2GB a month of data...
    You must be in a high use area that doesn't have enough cell sites. Just north of L.A. coverage in the city is typically quite good, and speeds range from +200Mbps at some of the better sites to typically 130Mbps at others, and 25Mbps in between sites.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Right, I get that want and need to increase efficiency and I'm not against that and progress. I'm not savvy on 5G, mostly I'd say cause it is so new. If it's a 15% gain, that is incredible overall but it isn't going to hearken the second coming of Him. It will help keep up with all the devices connected. I just found much of the 'wow' factor in 5G at the moment seems to be it's using spectrum with a 200MHz wide channel vs our typical 20MHz one now.

I guess what I wanted to see, instead of MORE fragile connections, make options to have less capacity on the band but a much stronger and farther signal reach. I get your countries like the UK are dense and don't need rural broadcasting capabilities for many scenarios. But, the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, China, and so forth are huge countries with far and few people in rural areas. Also, all those countries have much less favorable terrain to contend with than the rolling meadows and hills in much of the UK. Heck, my own state of AZ is larger than the UK by a good margin and we have a lot more forest, mountains, canyons, and more to contend with. Capacity for capacity's sake shouldn't be the ONLY motive.

Also, Sprint could have even better capacity in this frame because of the inherent benefits related to that with TDD. Yes, there are downsides to TDD too, but for speed, better use of spectrum capacity, ability to be more dynamic based on network needs, it wins hands down.
    5G wont solve coverage. Tmobile has a habit of intentionally crippling transmit power of B12 panels or tilting them down so they do not reach as far. They prioritize speed over coverage, though with B12 5Mhz channel it makes sense. Though I doubt that will change with B71 or n71. Tmobile has always been speed crazy.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    You are asserting as fact. I am surmising.
    BW, you stated it as fact that Softbank would keep throwing money to save Sprint.

This is the issue that under some rules with their investors that Softbank is limited to 85% of Sprint's stock or they have to try to turn Sprint into a private company. That is the "Covenant" that is in some rules either from their investor guild or maybe Japanese laws. At the time it was explained as a Covenant since Softbank is a Japanese Hedge fund that Softbank agreed to follow. Since Softbank is a Japanese company it isn't easy to read their investment guidelines. However if you goggle Softbank and Sprint with "85% you will see the statement where Softbank doesn't want to exceed 85% ownership of Sprint or it will trigger a tender for the rest of the stock. Also, a lot of these sites that have info about this 85% is behind paywalls.

"SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son said last month he planned to increase his company’s stake in Sprint from 83% up to 85%, butting his investment up against the threshold that would trigger a public offer for all the remaining shares. - 12/15/2017 "

SoftBank taps brakes on Sprint investment amid languishing shares

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    5G wont solve coverage. Tmobile has a habit of intentionally crippling transmit power of B12 panels or tilting them down so they do not reach as far. They prioritize speed over coverage, though with B12 5Mhz channel it makes sense. Though I doubt that will change with B71 or n71. Tmobile has always been speed crazy.
    That tilt issue was T-Mobile trying to use their limited 5x5 Mhz of B12 for building penetration but reducing the distance to prevent interferences from using the single block of only 5x5 Mhz when they place another tower too near to the 1st tower. That was a desperation issue for T-Mobile since they only owned a tiny 5x5 Mhz of Band 12 that has good building penetration. Without the tilt too many B12 towers to close together would cause interferences without the tilt or reduced power. Band 71 with 5G will improve coverage.

T-Mobile owns a lot more Band 71 in both bandwidth and in PEA's that it has with it's limited bandwidth and limited PEA ownership with Band 12. With the extra Band 71 it will reduce the need to over use Band 12 with the tilt or power reduction since Band 71 will replace some of the current Band 12 that has been using tilt to prevent interference between two B12 tower placed to close together.

5G is more spectrum efficient that Neville Ray said would increase data between 20% to 25% faster than LTE that would improve coverage and with all the new Band 71 that is a big increase in coverage when both Band 71 is installed and 5G NR is rolled out somewhere around 2024 for their current plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    That tilt issue was T-Mobile trying to use their limited 5x5 Mhz of B12 for building penetration but reducing the distance to prevent interferences from using the single block of only 5x5 Mhz when they place another tower too near to the 1st tower. That was a desperation issue for T-Mobile since they only owned a tiny 5x5 Mhz of Band 12 that has good building penetration. Without the tilt too many B12 towers to close together would cause interferences without the tilt or reduced power. Band 71 with 5G will improve coverage.

T-Mobile owns a lot more Band 71 in both bandwidth and in PEA's that it has with it's limited bandwidth and limited PEA ownership with Band 12. With the extra Band 71 it will reduce the need to over use Band 12 with the tilt or power reduction since Band 71 will replace some of the current Band 12 that has been using tilt to prevent interference between two B12 tower placed to close together.

5G is more spectrum efficient that Neville Ray said would increase data between 20% to 25% faster than LTE that would improve coverage and with all the new Band 71 that is a big increase in coverage when both Band 71 is installed and 5G NR is rolled out somewhere around 2024 for their current plans.
    I really want to believe this but have hard time drinking the koolaid. Their obsession with speeds makes me weary. Speeds are good, but what good is a service when there is none? Id rather have service with lower speeds than have fast service that is nonexistent in far reach areas like rural USA.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I know it won't, but if these combined companies are allowed, they'll get some extra low-band with Sprint's SMR. It's small overall, but something. I would think at this point they can still have crazy fast speeds with all their band 2,4, 66, and future stuff. Turn the band 12 and 71 to power and let it cover rural areas and penetrate buildings. People won't leave Tmo because they're on a so-so fast 5MHz block of band 12 that actually works but they will leave if 'connected' to a huge wide band 66 signal that can't get into a building effectively.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I really want to believe this but have hard time drinking the koolaid. Their obsession with speeds makes me weary. Speeds are good, but what good is a service when there is none? Id rather have service with lower speeds than have fast service that is nonexistent in far reach areas like rural USA.
    Just like I don't drink the koolaid from all the people that are just on this board to bash T-Mobile. If T-Mobile doesn't have coverage that works for you then fire them and swap carriers. Just like I fired AT&T for their pathetic low grade coverage and the nasty arrogant AT&T Customer Service that was the worst I have experienced in my entire life. I haven't lost T-Mobile service in years in Florida.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Just like I don't drink the koolaid from all the people that are just on this board to bash T-Mobile. If T-Mobile doesn't have coverage that works for you then fire them and swap carriers. Just like I fired AT&T for their pathetic low grade coverage and the nasty arrogant AT&T Customer Service that was the worst I have experienced in my entire life. I haven't lost T-Mobile service in years in Florida.
    Florida is a pretty big State covering almost 66,000 square miles. I'm sure you haven't covered all of them.

I lose service from St Pete to Milton (north west panhandle) every time. Same goes for parts of Manatee and Sarasota County. Mostly if you venture off 275, 75 or 10.

It's not a big deal and I'm not bashing them as they work well in 95% of the places I need them to which is fine by me.

Sent from my LG G6 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : ďYour talent is Godís gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.Ē Leo Buscaglia : ďWith God, all things are POSSIBLE.Ē Mark 10:27

Feedback Score
    Looks like Sprint and T-Mobile is making some progress on the merger?

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/22/1...-merger-fcc-5g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Doesn't sound too good for the deal passing. The doj prob has a fairly strong case since its taking out a competitor and we all know prices will go up or at least will see less incentives for competition

Tmobile needs to know one way or another, sooner rather than later so they can get going

Feedback Score
    Today's news:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/justi...121240241.html

Highlights:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department's antitrust division staff has recommended the agency block T-Mobile US Inc's $26 billion acquisition of smaller rival Sprint Corp, according to two sources familiar with the matter."

"The final decision on whether to allow two of the four nationwide wireless carriers to merge now lies with political appointees at the department, headed by antitrust division chief Makan Delrahim."

"The Justice Department, which often follows staff recommendations, is expected to make a final decision in about a month, the sources said.

Staff at the antitrust division, who remain in their jobs even when administrations change, have long been skeptical of the proposed merger, sources have told Reuters."

"...top brass in the Justice Department's antitrust division do not generally overrule the staff but they occasionally do."

"The FCC and Justice Department almost always agree publicly on merger reviews, and experts say they have not had a major review disagreement in four decades."

"Now, state attorneys general and public utility commissions will review the deal, potentially pushing a closing to the third quarter of this year, a Citibank note said."

So maybe we will see the DOJ ruling in a month.

Feedback Score
    yeah I read about that too, looks like tmobile has to at least try some new/more concessions

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast