Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sprints Merger With T-Mobile Is Taking Too Long. Its Time to Worry. - Barron's

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sounds like the deal has a very low chance of approval unless something changes

I'm thinking this is probably a way to try and get some more concessions from TMobile

With giving up more will the deal still be worth it for tmobile?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/16/...sprint-merger/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t-mobil...f-11555446461A
    Last edited by themanhimself; 04-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Sounds like the deal has a very low chance of approval unless something changes

I'm thinking this is probably a way to try and get some more concessions from TMobile

With giving up more will the deal still be worth it for tmobile?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/16/...sprint-merger/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t-mobil...f-11555446461A
    ( "Reservations voiced by Justice Department staff workers arent necessarily the last word on a merger, as department leadership also will have an opportunity to weigh in and make the final decision.

T-Mobiles executives have said they are still on schedule to close the deal before July. The target date has slipped since late last year, when they privately planned for a decision as soon as April, according to people familiar with the matter.")

It ain't over till the fat lady sings!!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t-mobil...ff-11555446461

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : Your talent is Gods gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God. Leo Buscaglia : With God, all things are POSSIBLE. Mark 10:27

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    T had to give Tmus over $4 billion dollars and roaming. Without that gimme, we wouldn't have what we have now.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk
    The $4 billion was pocketed largely by DT. The roaming was a joke - I don't think I saw it once, if ever. Not to say it wasn't there, but as any large factor it was decidedly not.

It was the 1700 MHz spectrum Tmo got that mattered. They then could start launching LTE in metro areas, they then could get MetroPCS. They then went hard at acquiring 700MHz, participated in the AWS auction, and also the 600 MHz auction. They sit in a much better spectrum position than when ATT was looking to buy them out, but the 1700 gave them breathing room.

Also, it was doing business. ATT gambled. They went hard and lost in the best fashion my wildest dreams could come up with. Also, stop the BS that it's a 'gimmie'. It's a cost of business. Tmo had to put their company on the line, they were open to high scrutiny. Their name was dragged around. That deserves just compensation. Was roaming, $4 billion cash, and a good chunk of 1700 worth it? That's another debate.

Sprint on the other hand has none of those same problems. They have MASSIVE amounts of spectrum. They have held, except the small 1900 G block, all of that spectrum for decades now. DECADES. They have a large, incredibly rich owner. Don't give me that SoftBank is broke, they went and bought ARM after Sprint. I don't think ARM was selling for penny-stock pricing... SoftBank thought they could just buy Sprint, that would solve problems, and they'd rake in cash. When Mr. Son realized he doesn't know American business at all, he quietly went off to find something else shiny.

So, they have spectrum. Both in the high, mid, and low band you need to cover cities and suburbs and rural well. They have had the ability to be given $$$ to get out and failed.

As others have said here, let Sprint declare bankruptcy. I pray for chapter 7, we know it'll be 11 because businesses aren't held to normal people standards. I would love to see their assets taken and sold to those who want them. It's not like Sprint was effectively using it anyway....

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Ehhh...

https://hbr.org/2018/03/is-lack-of-c...he-u-s-economy

It's only a year old, but also clearly cites the ATT and Tmobile merger. It has many examples and data, some of which could be hard to put on the wireless market as the data goes back to the early 1970s, before cellular networks were around. Remember in 2011 Tmobile was predicted to be down and out. Dead man walking, sell sell sell, it'll be torn apart in mere months/years.

That kinda went exactly the opposite. We are now back to having most networks offering some form of 'unlimited', or a large 20gb+ bucket of data and then throttling. Messages and minutes aren't counted anymore, it's just all data.

Do you propose we shut down the great competition we've seen lately?
    Totally different. At&t is unethical,I was just lied to by them 2 months ago, and they have no desire to make things right. T-Mobile and Sprint together don't equal at&t, and T-Mobile has always been over backwards to make things right if there is ever an issue, and on top of that, Sprint needs bailed out or we'll have only 3 Nationwide carriers anyway

Sent from my LG-H918 using HoFo mobile app
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    The $4 billion was pocketed largely by DT. The roaming was a joke - I don't think I saw it once, if ever. Not to say it wasn't there, but as any large factor it was decidedly not.

It was the 1700 MHz spectrum Tmo got that mattered. They then could start launching LTE in metro areas, they then could get MetroPCS. They then went hard at acquiring 700MHz, participated in the AWS auction, and also the 600 MHz auction. They sit in a much better spectrum position than when ATT was looking to buy them out, but the 1700 gave them breathing room.

Also, it was doing business. ATT gambled. They went hard and lost in the best fashion my wildest dreams could come up with. Also, stop the BS that it's a 'gimmie'. It's a cost of business. Tmo had to put their company on the line, they were open to high scrutiny. Their name was dragged around. That deserves just compensation. Was roaming, $4 billion cash, and a good chunk of 1700 worth it? That's another debate.

Sprint on the other hand has none of those same problems. They have MASSIVE amounts of spectrum. They have held, except the small 1900 G block, all of that spectrum for decades now. DECADES. They have a large, incredibly rich owner. Don't give me that SoftBank is broke, they went and bought ARM after Sprint. I don't think ARM was selling for penny-stock pricing... SoftBank thought they could just buy Sprint, that would solve problems, and they'd rake in cash. When Mr. Son realized he doesn't know American business at all, he quietly went off to find something else shiny.

So, they have spectrum. Both in the high, mid, and low band you need to cover cities and suburbs and rural well. They have had the ability to be given $$$ to get out and failed.

As others have said here, let Sprint declare bankruptcy. I pray for chapter 7, we know it'll be 11 because businesses aren't held to normal people standards. I would love to see their assets taken and sold to those who want them. It's not like Sprint was effectively using it anyway....
    Softbank is incredibly rich? What are you on about? They're hugely in debt. They bought ARM because there is value in it. Let alone, ARM isn't tied to a ball and chain of huge $33B debt. Sprint has lots of spectrum resources, but not the funds to continue the network expansion to meet the other 3. No one is going to loan money to someone with a crappy credit rating as sprint nor is softbank going to keep dumping money in them when the profit margins in the cellular service space have been increasingly getting smaller over time.

Also, going to need to see citations on "The $4 billion was pocketed largely by DT". ATT roaming was actually alright, I did get the roaming service many times in upstate New York before tmobile expanded up there. Just because its a joke for you, does not mean its for everyone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In my opinion, Sprint and T-Mobile should merge because t-mobile can have Sprint's coverage and Sprint can have T-mobile's money. But Sprint going out of business and T-mobile getting Sprint's coverage and spectrum seems like a good idea also, if it was not that i don't want anyone going bankrupt, not even the worst companies. But what if Sprint or T-mobile merged with another company instead? Or that a magical fairy was named Verizon and gave sprint money and got rid of the debt?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    For the sake of argument, I agree with you but what options do you propose?
    1. Sprint goes bankrupt and gets picked apart by the other three carriers? Verizon ends up with Sprint's 2.5GHz licenses?
    2. Magical, mystical fairy godmother appears and makes $40B in debt go away with the wave of a wand?
    Agree with your view. Just wanted to add Sprint has used its Spectrum as collateral to back up their $40 Billion plus in loans. If Sprint defaults the banks get the spectrum. The rest of Sprint goes to a Bankruptcy Judge to be auctioned off.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Someone please explain how Sprint can make their debt payments that are in the billions and still afford to build out 5G NR as their customers are leaving? For at least two years Sprint has been giving away Free cell phone service for a year to attract new customers. That is a going out of business strategy not a real business plan for growth. SoftBank isn’t going to Rescue Sprint they will sell off all Sprint’s assets and still walk away with a loss. Then there will be only three national Networks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Someone please explain how Sprint can make their debt payments that are in the billions and still afford to build out 5G NR as their customers are leaving? For at least two years Sprint has been giving away Free cell phone service for a year to attract new customers. That is a going out of business strategy not a real business plan for growth. SoftBank isnt going to Rescue Sprint they will sell off all Sprints assets and still walk away with a loss. Then there will be only three national Networks.
    It's actually kinda sad because Sprint has been around forever!!

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    For the sake of argument, I agree with you but what options do you propose?
    1. Sprint goes bankrupt and gets picked apart by the other three carriers? Verizon ends up with Sprint's 2.5GHz licenses?
    2. Magical, mystical fairy godmother appears and makes $40B in debt go away with the wave of a wand?
    Those are not the only options.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Softbank is incredibly rich? What are you on about? They're hugely in debt. They bought ARM because there is value in it. Let alone, ARM isn't tied to a ball and chain of huge $33B debt. Sprint has lots of spectrum resources, but not the funds to continue the network expansion to meet the other 3. No one is going to loan money to someone with a crappy credit rating as sprint nor is softbank going to keep dumping money in them when the profit margins in the cellular service space have been increasingly getting smaller over time.

Also, going to need to see citations on "The $4 billion was pocketed largely by DT". ATT roaming was actually alright, I did get the roaming service many times in upstate New York before tmobile expanded up there. Just because its a joke for you, does not mean its for everyone.
    https://www.theverge.com/2011/12/19/...e-merger-plans

Who do you think they paid the money to? Tmo as the subsidiary?

Also, sorry I forgot all the details, it was approximately $3 billion in cash with the remaining $1 billion value of the spectrum.

The roaming wasn't a huge part in the current situation and you know it.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Well now that AT&T new mmWave Towers that have been deploying are only getting 350 feet to 600 feet distance that are useable. So looks like. Sprint and T-Mobile merger is the only hope for 5G nation wide. https://www.pcmag.com/news/367777/tr...ng-5g-spectrum
    Amen. I fear that if the merger falls thru we won't have any significant mid-band 5G Spectrum for many years. Especially after reading this sort of thing on their 4/15 filing:

Sprint is in a very difficult situation that is only getting worse. Sprint’s network lacks the
    coverage and consistency that customers demand. Sprint’s lack of low band spectrum is at the
    root of these network problems, and that problem cannot be fixed because there is no low band
    spectrum available that Sprint could buy. As a result, Sprint is losing customers—which then
    reduces revenues and cash flow—further limiting its ability to invest in its network and service
    its debt. Simply put, Sprint is not on a sustainable competitive path.
    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1041529...S-FILED%5D.pdf

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Martin View Post
    Those are not the only options.
    OK. What are the others? Sprint has been marketed around to all other carriers without finding takers. I just looked out the window and don't see any sugar daddies on the horizon.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here's another quote from the filing I linked above.

VI. Sprint Standalone Future
    Absent completing its transaction with T-Mobile, Sprint will have limited options, and is
    likely to be forced down either a repositioning path and/or a restructuring path. Repositioning
    would require additional cost cutting, which at a minimum would mean additional reductions to
    an already thin workforce, and even further scaling back of Sprint’s operations and ability to be a
    meaningful competitive constraint. Restructuring would result in a Company that looks very
    different from Sprint today and carries with it the risk that Sprint would be forced into the sale of
    spectrum used to collateralize a portion of its current $40 billion of debt—spectrum that would
    need to operate its mobile network. Either of these paths will only serve to strengthen Verizon
    and AT&T and further entrench their dominant positions.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast