Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest unlocked phone I could buy today?

Feedback Score

Cheapest unlocked phone I could buy today?

I am looking to buy an unlocked phone that can be used on any of the big-4 networks/mvno's. And of course I am looking for the best deal. Don't care if it is an old model, but I do want to buy it new -- i.e. I don't want to buy a used or certified-new or refurbished phone.

I found the Moto E4 on the Motorola site for $69.99. Is there anything cheaper available? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I am looking to buy an unlocked phone that can be used on any of the big-4 networks/mvno's. And of course I am looking for the best deal. Don't care if it is an old model, but I do want to buy it new -- i.e. I don't want to buy a used or certified-new or refurbished phone.

I found the Moto E4 on the Motorola site for $69.99. Is there anything cheaper available? Thanks for any help or suggestions!
    List of carrier agnostic phones:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...highlight=2018

Any phone to be used with Verizon, Verizon Prepaid and Verizon MVNOs needs to be VoLTE capable. CDMA voice ends at the end of 2019 and phones without VoLTE can't be activated even now.

The Moto E4 is probably about as cheap as you will find. I don't know if it does VoLTE. Maybe someone else does.

Feedback Score
    I am looking to buy an unlocked phone that can be used on any of the big-4 networks/mvno's. And of course I am looking for the best deal. Don't care if it is an old model, but I do want to buy it new -- i.e. I don't want to buy a used or certified-new or refurbished phone. I found the Moto E4 on the Motorola site for $69.99. Is there anything cheaper available? Thanks for any help or suggestions!
    how much are you wanting to spend ?? did you try amazon - https://www.amazon.com/unlocked-cell...ode=2407749011 best buy - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...nlocked+phones

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

The Moto E4 XT1768 is an excellent universal unlocked budget phone. The biggest problem is that it is "officially" stuck on Android 7.1, although it's still getting occasional security updates. But if you want a phone that can be used on all the US and most (all?) worldwide cellular networks right now, at $69.99, it's probably the best low-cost option available.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    I paid $123 for the Moto e4 from bestbuy.com last year so I think $69 is a good price. I doubt there is a better unlocked phone at that price.

I also think the Moto e4 works good.

Feedback Score
    You might find something cheaper but it won't be too good.

The Moto E4 a good phone.

If you find something for $39 and it has a terrible camera, lousy battery life, and lags and freezes constantly, you will regret not spending the extra money...

Feedback Score
    The Moto E4 is a fantastic budget phone that does everything well. I really liked the call quality, compact size and battery life. The unlocked Moto G6 Play is also a great budget phone that should be dropping in price pretty quick. I currently use an unlocked LG-G6 that I really like but I'm not sure if it works on Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Moto E4. I bought one for myself at bestbuy.com back when they were $125. I had a $25 gift card so I used that so it cost me $100. I like the phone so much I bought one for my wife also to replace her old Samsung Galaxy SIII. Yes, it does VoLTE. My wife is on boom! and uses VoLTE, but I'm not convinced it makes a lot of difference in call quality.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Not sure why but I'm thinking of ordering a $70.00 unlocked E4 directly from Moto now. I've got the Verizon version but sold all the unlocked E4s I picked up during the Wally clearance. It's always nice to have a phone around that works on all US carriers.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Maybe cheaper to just get your Verizon version unlocked?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clocks11 View Post
    Maybe cheaper to just get your Verizon version unlocked?
    My Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 is unlocked and sporting a H2o sim. Used it on Cricket for about 4 months too. Not sure if it would work on Sprint/Tello but that's what my Boost Moto G6 Play is being used for.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    My Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 is unlocked and sporting a H2o sim. Used it on Cricket for about 4 months too. Not sure if it would work on Sprint/Tello but that's what my Boost Moto G6 Play is being used for.
    I couldn't get the hotspot to work, did you?
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I couldn't get the hotspot to work, did you?
    I couldn't get the E4's hotspot to work on Cricket either. Matter of fact ,none of my unlocked Motos would ever hotspot on Cricket. I'm currently using an unlocked LG-G6 and Huawei Mate SE for Cricket hotspotting duties.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I couldn't get the E4's hotspot to work on Cricket either. Matter of fact ,none of my unlocked Motos would ever hotspot on Cricket. I'm currently using an unlocked LG-G6 and Huawei Mate SE for Cricket hotspotting duties.
    when you tried to use the hotspot, were you using a laptop or a desktop computer ?? my hotspot would always fail trying to connect to phones hotspot, but bluetooth & USB work just fine when trying on my laptop. and my desktop connects just fine if you get close enough to the wireless adapter.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Moto e4, but more posting to note that the XT1768's LTE bands: 1/2/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/25/26/66

For worldwide use, missing support for bands 3 and 20, which are very common outside the US, could be a problem. That said, it has enough other bands that you have a good chance of picking up LTE, and if not, it supports all 5 HSPA+ bands.

Also worth noting: removable battery!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast