Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cheapest unlocked phone I could buy today?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post

Also worth noting: removable battery!
    Forgot about the removable battery advantage the Moto E4 has. I've actually used this feature during a long hunting adventure last year. The E4 takes the same battery as the Moto G4 Play.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    The cheapest way was to have a carrier model, then unlock it. However, I have noticed that the Verizon model I had (and officially unlocked through Verizon) has limitations.

For instance, I didn't have VoLTE on T-Mobile. I tried to activate it on a Verizon MVNO (where it should work), but when it failed online I just used a different phone for right now. If I ever need to use it on the Verizon MVNO, I would just call the MVNO and have them activate it. (MVNOs seem to have to submit the number to Verizon to get certain features like VoLTE enabled on the account).
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    My husband has a Moto E4 with VoLTE. I have a Moto G4Play with no VoLTE. We both use Selectel. I used a SIM on T-Mobile on the G4 Play and had VoLTE. So when CDMA goes away, I'm not sure if I have to get a new phone or not. T-Mobile isn't solid enough where I live. Verizon works better. My husband's Moto E4 was a refurb for $90 and works great. Voice quality is definitely better with VoLTE.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge Moto E4/E2/G4-G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I'm not sure if I have to get a new phone or not.
    I don't think the Moto G4 Play (I have one) will ever do VoLTE on Verizon. You will most likely have to get something else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I don't think the Moto G4 Play (I have one) will ever do VoLTE on Verizon. You will most likely have to get something else.
    Yeah that's what I thought.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I am looking to buy an unlocked phone that can be used on any of the big-4 networks/mvno's. And of course I am looking for the best deal. Don't care if it is an old model, but I do want to buy it new -- i.e. I don't want to buy a used or certified-new or refurbished phone.

I found the Moto E4 on the Motorola site for $69.99. Is there anything cheaper available? Thanks for any help or suggestions!
    If you or anybody is interested, the unlocked/universal Moto E4 XT1768 had a price drop at Walmart to $30 for stores that still have stock. This will be YMMV and in store only.

See https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=333487562. Some example zip codes showing stock at $30 include 43528 and 48162.

FOR REFERENCE ONLY: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-...lack/333487562

$30 for this unlocked/universal Moto E4 XT1768 is a great deal. I love the front fingerprint reader / navigation pad, and it just works well for a sub-$100 phone, ESPECIALLY if you can get one at $30!

I bought 2 last night for $30 each at a nearby Walmart. I'll probably eventually try to root/ROM at least one of them, if (that's a big "if") I ever figure out how to do that!

Feedback Score
    Got lucky cuz the unlocked E4 has been on clearance at Wally since before Christmas. I'm sure there's a few more out there along with some $40.00 Mate SEs and the $50.00 Moto G5 Plus. Someone also found a leftover LG-G6 recently. The best odds at a Walmart Easter Egg Hunt is probably the more recent $49.00 Alcatel Idol 5S clearance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2