Thread: Bell takes home no 600mhz licenses

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score

Bell takes home no 600mhz licenses

I imagine this will get discussed more generally, as there is a lot to unpack, but I have to say I'm really surprised Bell didn't get any 600mhz spectrum in the auction. Just looking at Southern Ontario, Bellus has absolutely no 600 mhz spectrum, while Rogers walked away with 40mhz! Telus seemed to score a healthy amount of spectrum everywhere it operates the RAN, but that leaves nothing for either Telus or Bell in areas where Bell operates the RAN.

I guess Bell will have to hope to buy some from Rogers or Freedom, or is there another strategy here I'm missing?

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    I imagine this will get discussed more generally, as there is a lot to unpack, but I have to say I'm really surprised Bell didn't get any 600mhz spectrum in the auction. Just looking at Southern Ontario, Bellus has absolutely no 600 mhz spectrum, while Rogers walked away with 40mhz! Telus seemed to score a healthy amount of spectrum everywhere it operates the RAN, but that leaves nothing for either Telus or Bell in areas where Bell operates the RAN.

I guess Bell will have to hope to buy some from Rogers or Freedom, or is there another strategy here I'm missing?
    Yeah I noticed that when I read the results earlier as well. So weird! I guess they figure they already have enough spectrum currently so 600 MHz isn’t necessary for them to compete?

Rogers did well though. Should allow them to compete against Bellus a little better for sure.

Feedback Score
    Wow, big surprise for sure!

Keep in mind the bandwidth is paired, so Rogers really got 20 MHz of band 71 in Southern Ontario. Freedom got 15 MHz.

Link to results: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf11499.html

Their message is they have enough other spectrum and didn't want to buy any more:
    http://www.bce.ca/news-and-media/rel...MHz-spectrum-1
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    How much does Bell have of 700 MHz and 850 MHz?
    Do you think Telus will share their 600 MHz with Bell where they acquired it?
    That was a great opportuniy for Bell to acquire contiguous low spectrum and they failed.

Feedback Score
    In most places Bell and Telus have 5 MHz of B12, 5 MHz of B13, 10 MHz of B29, 12.5 MHz of B5. And those are all shared between both operators.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    In most places Bell and Telus have 5 MHz of B12, 5 MHz of B13, 10 MHz of B29, 12.5 MHz of B5. And those are all shared between both operators.
    Would you agree with bell that they don't need more lower band?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    They're probably going to be ok with what they already have. The biggest winner is Freedom in my opinion. They desperately needed it, and they got 15 MHz in Southern Ontario!

For the Big 3, it remains to be seen who made the smartest choice.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Can B5, B12, B13, and B17 be repurposed for 5G? If not, how is Bell going to provide adequate 5G coverage in rural parts of the country where there are far fewer sites?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Yeah the network can do it, but we don't know which 5G bands will be supported on phones initially.