Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Verizon Wireless lied on Stir Shaken being ready, still getting spoofs on VoLTE

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I thought that the federal government made spam calls illegal many years ago. They established heavy fines for violators and also established the donotcall.gov website to list your phone numbers. Why did this not work as intended? Did the government drop the ball on prosecution of the spammers? Why didn’t the spam calls stop?
    Well basically, long story short, it's not exactly what most people think it is. And it's under funded so it's not as effective as it could or should be. https://www.rd.com/advice/truth-about-do-not-call-list/

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    I thought that the federal government made spam calls illegal many years ago. They established heavy fines for violators and also established the donotcall.gov website to list your phone numbers. Why did this not work as intended? Did the government drop the ball on prosecution of the spammers? Why didn’t the spam calls stop?

You are joking right? No one I know that put their info on the do not call list ever had their calls stop. And mine certainly didn't.

Of course the worst offending calls I get are political calls. And those are not even included on the Do Not Call list anyway.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Verizon Wireless lied on Stir Shaken being ready, still getting spoofs on VoLTE

A "Do Not Call" list is similar to a "Gun-Free Zone" insofar as only honest people will abide by it and criminals, being criminals, will continue to ignore it.

And speaking of political calls, I'm surprised some googly-eyed congressperson hasn't taken up the cause and propose we ban phones to solve the problem. Of course, their self-awareness being what it is, they would robocall you to tell you about it.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    I file complaints with FCC and Do Not Call/FTC when I get calls I shouldn’t get. My numbers are all registered on the Do Not Call list. My Verizon Wireless number was put on the list years ago, well after the 31 day waiting period. They only go after a small percentage of these callers and the calls continue to happen. They are working on new government laws but they need to.be passed, and Stir Shaken is apparently at the beginning stages of implementation with some carriers. I get international one ring scams, unknown numbers without voicemail left, spoofed local numbers in same exchange, spoofed local numbers from same local area but different provider hence a difference exchanges, and a variety of other calls from different area codes, same area codes, and the like.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    The Do Not Call list is run by the FTC. Almost 100% worthless, the FTC does almost zero enforcement (due to funding). They theoretically enforce the do not call list. The FCC made it their mission to sue as many as possible a few years back, due to the (at the time) head of the FCC being pissed about how many illegal robocalls he was getting, and knowing the FTC was not enforcing; so they found as many ways to fine as possible. They can't fine for violating the Do Not Call list (that's the FTC's job) but robocalling cell phones is typically illegal, abandoning a robocall is illegal, and falsifying caller ID is illegal, so they fine for those. Problem being, it's the typical inefficient gov't agency, so they have in fact leavied MASSIVE fines, in one case $120 million. But they are a bloated gov't bureaucracy, so (per regulation) they then allow these greasy greasy scammers to self-report their income; so, they fraudulenty claim they are flat broke and can only pay like $1 a month or whatever on their fines. The FCC should at that point seize their property to pay down those fines but they don't do that either..
    next thing you know it'll be just like the spam filters that catch more legitimate email than actual spam.
    a) Calling people snowflakes is insulting. b) "A few" spam calls? I've reported over at least 1000 (and probably over 2000) illegal robocalls to the FCC; I get basically 1 real call a weak and 50+ illegal robocalls. Every single week for years. c) Your statement on E-mail spam is 100% false, I get tons of blocked spam, no spam coming past my spam filter, and have not caught a real e-mail put into spam in years.

You sound like "spamford wallace" back in the day, the biggest spammer on the planet at the time, who could not fathom that he was bothering people. Like "You don't want a few E-Mails? Just delete them." (this was before widespread use of spam filters.) ignoring that it was not "a few" e-mails, it was typically over 90% spam and 10% or less real E-Mails -- just like my getting over 90% junk calls. Then, of course, someone finally got his home address and he got immediately signed up for dozens of magazines, free samples, and so on, and all of a sudden he's like "What's happening! I don't want all this mail!" but could not fathom that is exactly what he was doing to everyone else on the planet with his spam. Luckily he got fined millions of dollars by AOL, and (since AOL is not a hamstrung gov't agency) when he (falsely) claimed he couldn't pay the $3 million settlement they went ahead and forced sale of his property to pay the debt.
    Last edited by veriztd; 04-18-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: offensive comments removed

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score
    Seriously people still do not get this. Most of the spammers are Indian phone scams, (Tech scams, IRS, etc.), and are using network-based IP spoof calling technology. They can spoof literally any number in the globe. Although some are getting cracked down by the Indian Government, others are filling in the gaps. They are outside of US prosecution, so no, there isn't no "Magic List" that will make an Indian scammer not call you. They are hard to pin down, because all they have to do is roll their settings and start fresh again with the spam calls. And even if Verizon somehow does an "authentication" of calls, it's just one move in a chess game that technology will find a way around. Unfortunately, if you want to not be harassed, use a paid service like robokiller that actually intercepts the call first, and also has neighbor spoofing (what these Indian scammers are using) enabled.
    Visible Early Access Code-90CC6

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I file complaints with FCC and Do Not Call/FTC when I get calls I shouldn’t get. My numbers are all registered on the Do Not Call list. My Verizon Wireless number was put on the list years ago, well after the 31 day waiting period. They only go after a small percentage of these callers and the calls continue to happen. They are working on new government laws but they need to.be passed, and Stir Shaken is apparently at the beginning stages of implementation with some carriers. I get international one ring scams, unknown numbers without voicemail left, spoofed local numbers in same exchange, spoofed local numbers from same local area but different provider hence a difference exchanges, and a variety of other calls from different area codes, same area codes, and the like.
    Indian Scammers can get your number in other ways, and do not care about "Do not call" lists. They won't obey them. Most of the offenders of this list aren't in US Jurisdiction.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    But, in the past they have found the calls were actually originating within Florida (i.e. they are VOIP calls from India but they have to connect to the landline network somewhere...) The reponsible parties were fined and of course ordered to stop these types of activities (they were fined for the caller ID falsification not the actual robocalls, since the FCC doesn't have that authority.). For some reason the FCC did not seize their VOIP hardware, so of course the scammers simply sleaze faster than the FCC and of course keep doing these activities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2