Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless lied on Stir Shaken being ready, still getting spoofs on VoLTE

Feedback Score

Verizon Wireless lied on Stir Shaken being ready, still getting spoofs on VoLTE

I am still getting spoofed Verizon Wireless calls even after Verizon has claimed Stir Shaken was being used on Verizon Wireless calls. I thought I was getting these calls because I did not have VoLTE active. Even with VoLTE enabled, spoofed calls from the same area code and exchange pretending to be local Verizon Wireless calls in the same area code and exchange are getting through.

I have again filed complaints with Do Not Call/FTC as well as the FCC on this call and added a separate FCC complaint about Stir Shaken not working to prevent spoofed Verizon Wireless calls through the FCC Tell us your story.

Stir Shaken doesn’t seem to be helpful at all to stop robocalls as of now and somehow I doubt it will stop any of them unless FCC starts enforcing it and holding providers accountable,

Los Angeles or Santa Cruz during the school year
    Device(s)
    AT&T iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The initial iteration of Stir/Shaken will tell you if a caller is verified. It値l say something like call verified, etc. It is not ready to auto block spoofed calls yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    The initial iteration of Stir/Shaken will tell you if a caller is verified. It値l say something like call verified, etc. It is not ready to auto block spoofed calls yet.
    Verizon will be implementing on the phone itself saying call verified early next year. But Verizon has stated all calls within the Verizon Wireless network were Stir Shaken and if it was, then calls should have been rejected as all calls within the network itself are verified. Outside of Verizon Wireless, callers may be legitimate and not have Stir Shaken and that is when the phone saying it is verified or not is useful. Perhaps the issue is that non VoLTE circuit switched is not Stir Shaken and it cant reject all the calls till the 3G network is shutdown even though the systems are ready with it now. 3G shutdown is set to occur around 2020.

Hopefully robocalls stop due to Stir Shaken in the coming months. For now I report them to FCC and Do Not Call/FTC and use the FCC Share Your Story feature to comment on policy issues. There is also new legislation pending in government as well pertaining to robocalls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Verizon will be implementing on the phone itself saying call verified early next year. But Verizon has stated all calls within the Verizon Wireless network were Stir Shaken and if it was, then calls should have been rejected as all calls within the network itself are verified. Outside of Verizon Wireless, callers may be legitimate and not have Stir Shaken and that is when the phone saying it is verified or not is useful. Perhaps the issue is that non VoLTE circuit switched is not Stir Shaken and it cant reject all the calls till the 3G network is shutdown even though the systems are ready with it now. 3G shutdown is set to occur around 2020.

Hopefully robocalls stop due to Stir Shaken in the coming months. For now I report them to FCC and Do Not Call/FTC and use the FCC Share Your Story feature to comment on policy issues. There is also new legislation pending in government as well pertaining to robocalls.
    and you know the call was initiated on the Verizon network how? No one lied and if you hate Verizon so much then switch carriers and be done with it.

Feedback Score
    Unless FCC mandates the use authentication for everyone's calls, VZW cannot legally block a call originating outside their network, just because is not authenticated.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

I don't want any calls blocked. I'm paying for a telephone line, I expect any call dialed to my number to be completed.

next thing you know it'll be just like the spam filters that catch more legitimate email than actual spam.

I already miss enough important emails because of this crap, I don't need my phone calls being blocked by robots too. Pretty soon you'll have to pay extra for a business line just to be able to have all calls come through, just like we have to pay for business internet to have all the inbound ports open.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by veriztd; 04-18-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: offensive comment removed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I don't want any calls blocked. I'm paying for a telephone line, I expect any call dialed to my number to be completed.

next thing you know it'll be just like the spam filters that catch more legitimate email than actual spam.

I already miss enough important emails because of this crap, I don't need my phone calls being blocked by robots too. Pretty soon you'll have to pay extra for a business line just to be able to have all calls come through, just like we have to pay for business internet to have all the inbound ports open.

Nice you have the time to answer dozens of worthless calls a day. By the way when you answer they know you have an active line which result sin more calls. By the way Shaken/Stir is NOT going to filter out legit calls
    Last edited by veriztd; 04-18-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: offensive comment removed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    By the way when you answer they know you have an active line which result sin more calls.
    That's a myth. The "line not in service" doesn't ring and does not goes to a voice mail, so spammers figured that out long time ago.
    It has a special tone.
    Some record those sounds at the beginning of their voice mail:
    http://yourhomenow.com/sit.html

Other just say "Hold On, Please" and put the phone on the table.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm getting sms spam originating from an email address. That's something that stir/shaken cannot prevent.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon wireless fleet tracking spoofed my office number to call me. It didn't go well for the salesman

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I'm getting sms spam originating from an email address. That's something that stir/shaken cannot prevent.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Since stir/shaken is for voice calls, that makes sense. If Stir/shaken actually works, hopefully can do something similar for SMS.

I fear that, with the growth, the best you can probably hope for is a reduction from what it would have been.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Nice you have the time to answer dozens of worthless calls a day. By the way when you answer they know you have an active line which result sin more calls. By the way Shaken/Stir is NOT going to filter out legit calls
    That痴 what they say about spam filters, too. Which constantly block legitimate mail and let the BS through.

The spam calls come from the same numbers over and over anyway, it痴 easy to know which ones to let go to voicemail and which ones to answer. But hey, as long as this is optional I知 all for it.

But I知 sure eventually it値l be mandatory and I値l have to pay more to turn it off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    That’s what they say about spam filters, too. Which constantly block legitimate mail and let the BS through.

The spam calls come from the same numbers over and over anyway, it’s easy to know which ones to let go to voicemail and which ones to answer. But hey, as long as this is optional I’m all for it.

But I’m sure eventually it’ll be mandatory and I’ll have to pay more to turn it off.

funny my Hotmail I get very little spam and very little legit e-mail get through. Any legit e-mail labeled as spam were on inspected written in a way that were spammy. So maybe it's incumbent on the e-mail sender to not make their e-mail resemble an ED ad. As I said anyone that feels Verizon's effort in combating spam calls are free to choose another carrier. or they can continue to stay and be dissatisfy and whine on the innerwebs. Because that'll solve a lot.

Feedback Score
    funny my Hotmail I get very little spam and very little legit e-mail get through. Any legit e-mail labeled as spam were on inspected written in a way that were spammy. So maybe it's incumbent on the e-mail sender to not make their e-mail resemble an ED ad. As I said anyone that feels Verizon's effort in combating spam calls are free to choose another carrier. or they can continue to stay and be dissatisfy and whine on the innerwebs. Because that'll solve a lot.
    I got a call saying unknown number on my callerid without a number listed. Obviously I didn’t pick up and no voicemail was left. Not sure what purpose it serves to use unknown number. If someone has a private number or a non caller id number, then obviously they would leave a voicemail even if caller id isn’t displayed if its an important call.

If a telemarketer did it instead of spoofing numbers, it won’t lead to me picking it up. I believe anonymous call rejection would block the ability of getting legitimate voicemails on unknown numbers which is why I don’t add it. When Stir Shaken has the authenticated calls built into the phone, it should solve this problem altogether. Verizon’s time schedule is early 2020 as per their response to the FCC.

Feedback Score

I thought that the federal government made spam calls illegal many years ago. They established heavy fines for violators and also established the donotcall.gov website to list your phone numbers. Why did this not work as intended? Did the government drop the ball on prosecution of the spammers? Why didn稚 the spam calls stop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast