Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting time trying to sign up for a prepaid account

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Interesting time trying to sign up for a prepaid account

So, I decided to port my H2O wireless number over to AT&T prepaid and went online to AT&T's prepaid site.

Went through the sign up process and then chose a plan and then they asked if I was transferring my number and I selected yes and input my H2O number.

Lo and behold, it said the number wasn't transferrable. Hmmmm...

Input my other H2O number and it came back with the same message. I thought maybe no number was transferrable so I decided to try an old Google Voice number and it was transferrable. So two mobile numbers weren't transferrable but an old Google Voice number was? Interesting.....

I then started an online chat with an AT&T rep and explained all this and their answer was to go to a local AT&T store and submit valid ID and proof, but when I pressed the rep and asked how any number could be transferrable online if you needed to submit valid ID and proof, the rep then said they would try to initiate the transfer but by this time I didn't have much confidence in their chat reps so I declined the offer. The whole time I'm chatting with this rep my phone is ringing and it's from California so I keep kicking it to voice mail. Well after a few more calls, I decided this guy wasn't taking no for an answer so I answered it and it was someone from AT&T supposedly and I really had a hard time understanding him so I politely thanked him and hung up.

Not off to a good start with AT&T prepaid.

Any idea as to why my H2O numbers weren't transferrable? Ever heard of needing valid ID and proof?

Thanks.......
    Last edited by curvefan; 04-09-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Iíve never heard of this. Although any time Iíve ever activated an AT&T prepaid line, Iíve gotten a new temporary number to open the account, then ported my number in afterwards by calling customer service.

Maybe (I hope not) they are trying to get rid of the friendly, American phone reps who handle the port-ins. Itís always a pleasure to deal with then.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    So, I decided to port my H2O wireless number over to AT&T prepaid and went online to AT&T's prepaid site.

Went through the sign up process and then chose a plan and then they asked if I was transferring my number and I selected yes and input my H2O number.

Lo and behold, it said the number wasn't transferrable. Hmmmm...

Input my other H2O number and it came back with the same message. I thought maybe no number was transferrable so I decided to try an old Google Voice number and it was transferrable. So two mobile numbers weren't transferrable but an old Google Voice number was? Interesting.....

I then started an onlinee chat with an AT&T rep and explained all this and their answer was to go to a local AT&T store and submit valid ID and proof, but when I pressed the rep and asked how any number could be transferrable online if you needed to submit valid ID and proof, the rep then said they would try to initiate the transfer but by this time I didn't have much condidence in their chat reps so I declined the offer. The whole time I'm chatting with this rep my phone is ringing and it's from California so I keep kicking it to voice mail. Well after a few more calls, I decided this guy wasn't taking no for an answer so I answered it and it was someone from AT&T supposedly and I really had a hard time understanding him so I politely thanked him and hung up.

Not off to a good start with AT&T prepaid.

Any idea as to why my H2O numbers weren't transferrable? Ever heard of needing valid ID and proof?

Thanks.......
    It could be because H2O is a AT&T MVNO, so you are technically on AT&T already and this can be an issue.

If you don't mind me asking - why did you decide to switch from H2O?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    It could be because H2O is a AT&T MVNO, so you are technically on AT&T already and this can be an issue.

I thought so too, concerning the fact that both numbers that got rejected were H2O numbers. But if so, why not say that instead of saying I had to go to a store to submit valid ID proof. And then when I pressed them they wanted to try to do the transfer. I doubt that would have turned out well.

They never asked anything about where these numbers were coming from. If they knew they were from H2O, why would there be a problem? If these numbers are already on their system shouldn't it be an easy transfer?

As far as me switching, mainly just a personal choice, and I haven't been happy with H2O's support folks. I also liked the looks of the $50.00 8GB plan with it knocked down to $40.00 plus taxes and fees with auto pay enabled.

The main reason I always use chat is that my hearing's not too good to begin with, and speaking with some of these off shore reps is a real problem, hence the reason I opened a chat. Have you ever heard of getting phone calls while you're chatting online?

Thanks guys......

Like I said though, not off to a very good start with AT&T........

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I’ve never heard of this. Although any time I’ve ever activated an AT&T prepaid line, I’ve gotten a new temporary number to open the account, then ported my number in afterwards by calling customer service.

Maybe (I hope not) they are trying to get rid of the friendly, American phone reps who handle the port-ins. It’s always a pleasure to deal with then.

May I ask why you got a temporary number when activating as opposed to just transferring your number? Why have it ported later? Wouldn't that be the same thing as a transfer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post

I switched away from H20 because as a new customer, I had no data for 3 days. Trying to get someone with at least a basic knowledge of wireless was fruitless as both reps told me to restart phone and then one finally said to buy a new phone (using a Nexus 6P that's unlockedit for all carriers). Then I tried to set up voice mail and thier system required 7 numbers and the rep said no other option. Finally, data is S L O W..even Cricket beats it..lol

Feedback Score
    Might have to port to a non-AT&T carrier/MVNO for a few hours. I suggest T-Mobile. Requires unactivated TM SIM. When asked about plans I haven't decided will call back later. When current line goes dead number is ported. Then port to ATT. Cost 1 TM SIM.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Interesting time trying to sign up for a prepaid account

May I ask why you got a temporary number when activating as opposed to just transferring your number? Why have it ported later? Wouldn't that be the same thing as a transfer?
    Iíve never been given the option to port in a number when activating a prepaid line. In fact, the instructions have always said to do this in the SIM kits Iíve purchased.

Iíve always just bought SIM kits from Walmart or Best Buy. Maybe itís changed recently.

Sure, itís the same thing as a transfer. But itís easy to call and talk to customer service when you already have an account.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    There seems to be issues with the system. I tried to activate a new line of service yesterday with a new SIM sent by ATT, and I'm getting website errors attempting it. Failed several times last night, and I'm getting Oops errors again this morning.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, there's definitely something going on with their web site. I noticed problems on their site for the past week or so. Freezing up mostly.

I don't think that has anything to do with my problems signing up, but hey, who knows?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I’ve never been given the option to port in a number when activating a prepaid line. In fact, the instructions have always said to do this in the SIM kits I’ve purchased.

I’ve always just bought SIM kits from Walmart or Best Buy. Maybe it’s changed recently.

Sure, it’s the same thing as a transfer. But it’s easy to call and talk to customer service when you already have an account.

It might be easy for you to call and talk with customer service but I generally have a hard time understanding/hearing them so that's why I always try to transact business through chat. Plus you have a record of exactly what transpired. Many times I have been told things over the phone only to be told later that those things were never said.

Anyway, I just thought it odd that there would be a problem porting/transferring an H2O number to AT&T.

Just posted to see if anyone else had run into this problem.......

Feedback Score
    It might be easy for you to call and talk with customer service but I generally have a hard time understanding/hearing them so that's why I always try to transact business through chat. Plus you have a record of exactly what transpired. Many times I have been told things over the phone only to be told later that those things were never said.

Anyway, I just thought it odd that there would be a problem porting/transferring an H2O number to AT&T.

Just posted to see if anyone else had run into this problem.......

Have you successfully ported in those H2O numbers yet? Not clear to me.

You have to contact H2O to release the number and get your account number and security PIN to provide to AT&T. You'll need to know the last three outgoing call numbers as verification. And the lines must be active. (https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...61532121021850)

I ported from H2O to Tracfone BYOP AT&T without problems. I never had to reset my voicemail settings, interestingly.

The one time I ported a number into AT&T prepaid, they assigned a temporary number to the line while the port was in progress, so that much is normal for them.

Feedback Score
    I was lucky enough to have an AT&T store around the corner from here so I avoided the online or phone help hassles I have by activating and porting at the store. The port was fast, had it done by time I left the store, plus, they gave me a free SIM since it was an older phone and didn't have one. If its possible to do it at a store you may be better off.

I just left AT&T for TracFone today. Ported out my number.

H20 has its good points for low end users but i had issues with them too. Hard to add funds when they reject the debit, and no nearby H20 dealers.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    I went to the ATT store today at lunch to resolve things. Things were still erring off online. Ended up with another SIM since the one i got yesterday apparently was "activated" at some point before an error was displayed. If I had known that this most easy of actions, singing up for a new account and not doing a port would error off due to web site issues, then I would have just gone there originally.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oax View Post
    Have you successfully ported in those H2O numbers yet? Not clear to me.

You have to contact H2O to release the number and get your account number and security PIN to provide to AT&T. You'll need to know the last three outgoing call numbers as verification. And the lines must be active. (https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...61532121021850)

I ported from H2O to Tracfone BYOP AT&T without problems. I never had to reset my voicemail settings, interestingly.

The one time I ported a number into AT&T prepaid, they assigned a temporary number to the line while the port was in progress, so that much is normal for them.
    I only ever intended to port one of my H2O numbers but when the first number came up as not being transferrable, I tried the second H2O number and it was also listed as not transferrable.

As of right now I have not transferred/ported any of my H2O numbers to AT&T prepaid. I thought there were advantages to signing up online as opposed to doing it at a store so that's why I attempted the online sign up.

I had already contacted H2O about my account number and pin and after a lot of hassle, even after providing them with the information they requested, they told me to come back later to try again. Well I went back later and tried again with the same info and they finally gave me my account number and pin. See my posts in the H2O forum about those issues.

But when trying to sign up with AT&T prepaid, they never asked who my previous carrier was or my account number or pin. I guess after the numbers came up as not transferrable, there was no way to provide the account number and pin?

Anyways, I will probably go to a store and see what they say.

Thanks guys......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast