Thread: So, I screwed up (again). Can someone help me?

Feedback Score

So, I screwed up (again). Can someone help me?

I bought my Dad and Smartphone and put him on Tello. He loves Tello. He hates the Smartphone. He wants a flip phone. I looked on the Tello website and saw the Alactel OneTouch Fling 2017B they were offering. To save a buck I purchased on off ebay. It stated it could only be activated on Sprint. I thought I was OK since Tello uses the Sprint network. NOT SO MUCH.

I tried registering the phone with Tello and it kept denying. I called them a few times. One time they said it would not work. Two other times they said it was locked. The only info I could find about unlocking said I needed to insert a SIM card and enter the unlock code (I got it from Sprint). Sprint would not sell me a sim. Tello told me the correct one to order. I did so. It was nano sized. It does not appear to fit this phone.

So, as you can see I am screwed. I am writing here hoping someone will know a path forward for me that will enable me to use this phone. If not, back to buying a new one.

Any (constructive) words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    the phone more than likely would need to be activated on sprint for 50 days - https://www.sprint.com/en/legal/unlo...nt-device.html before it can be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smaye View Post
    I bought my Dad and Smartphone and put him on Tello. He loves Tello. He hates the Smartphone. He wants a flip phone. I looked on the Tello website and saw the Alactel OneTouch Fling 2017B they were offering. To save a buck I purchased on off ebay. It stated it could only be activated on Sprint. I thought I was OK since Tello uses the Sprint network. NOT SO MUCH.

I tried registering the phone with Tello and it kept denying. I called them a few times. One time they said it would not work. Two other times they said it was locked. The only info I could find about unlocking said I needed to insert a SIM card and enter the unlock code (I got it from Sprint). Sprint would not sell me a sim. Tello told me the correct one to order. I did so. It was nano sized. It does not appear to fit this phone.

So, as you can see I am screwed. I am writing here hoping someone will know a path forward for me that will enable me to use this phone. If not, back to buying a new one.

Check it in the Sprint BYOD checker at
    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring...OD:Shop:030918

If it fails, obviously it cannot be activated on Sprint and you should be able to return it.

(The real situation may be that it is a Boost-only model locked to Boost, a Sprint Prepaid division).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Check it in the Sprint BYOD checker at
    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring...OD:Shop:030918

If it fails, obviously it cannot be activated on Sprint and you should be able to return it.

(The real situation may be that it is a Boost-only model locked to Boost, a Sprint Prepaid division).

This was really helpful. I checked and it cannot be activated on Sprint. I re-checked the ebay listing and it stated it could only be activated on Sprint Prepaid. I went to that website. Sprint Prepaid has been rebranded Sprint Forward. It has no way to check the MEID for activation. It only supplies a list of phones that can be activated. The phone I was sold is not on that list.

I sent the seller a message. Waiting on a response.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    This was really helpful. I checked and it cannot be activated on Sprint. I re-checked the ebay listing and it stated it could only be activated on Sprint Prepaid. I went to that website. Sprint Prepaid has been rebranded Sprint Forward. It has no way to check the MEID for activation. It only supplies a list of phones that can be activated. The phone I was sold is not on that list.

You will probably be able to return the phone. However I do have an alternative, not the least expensive provider but Ting has excellent tech support and experience in resetting the prepaid flag and activating devices like this. I would recommend that you try them out. If you get an error contact them on their site or on the Ting sub on Reddit and there's a decent chance they can get it going for you. You can port if it's too expensive. If they can't activate it, you're still good with the return option.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the options. I will await the response from the seller before proceeding, but at least there may be some options.

The phone was not expensive. It just bugs me in that for a few bucks more I could have just bought the same phone from Tello directly and had none of these problems. Now, if I can't return the phone or activate it anywhere I am out this phone plus buying another.

Feedback Score

Well that's more or less what I expected, that it would turn out to be prepaid-only model locked to one of Sprint's three prepaid only brands.

You can try it on the other two Sprint prepaid brands, namely Boost and Virgin. It may not work on those either, but it might. I think Boost might take it and re-sku it.
    But of course you want something much cheaper than that with a flip phone. Returning the phone may be best if you can.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-09-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    I got a reply from the seller. He was very apologetic and offered to take the return and pay return shipping. Great ebay seller.

I need to find a flip phone that will work on the Sprint network. Can anyone recommend a model?

Feedback Score
    Well before you return the phone, call sprint technical support and have them white list the phone. All my phones on sprint are whitelisted sprint pre paid phones from boost virgin. I called and they had white listed the phone for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tritron7 View Post
    Well before you return the phone, call sprint technical support and have them white list the phone. All my phones on sprint are whitelisted sprint pre paid phones from boost virgin. I called and they had white listed the phone for me.
    Have you really been able to get them to white-list Boost phones without much difficulty? Did you have a hard time finding someone to do it?

Some of the reps I spoke to have been shocked over any suggestion that a Boost phone, which has not been locked by Boost after the required period of service on Boost, could be used on Sprint postpaid, and practically treated me like a criminal for asking.

More power to you for accomplishing this, but I am just wondering if the average person would be able to pull this off.

It may depend a lot on the phone model too. iPhones seem to be accepted more readily - maybe because there may be no true prepaid-model iPhones.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tritron7 View Post
    Already gone. I just hope I can find another flip phone for my Dad.

Would anyone know a site I could look at for all past and present Sprint cell phones. Maybe I could find one that way.

Feedback Score
    Already gone. I just hope I can find another flip phone for my Dad. Would anyone know a site I could look at for all past and present Sprint cell phones. Maybe I could find one that way.
    sprint has several flip phones on their site - https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...?sort=FEATURED

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    sprint has several flip phones on their site - https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...?sort=FEATURED

Thank you. I see there are a few. I am also going back to my dad to see why he likes the flip phone. It may be just that it is smaller than most smart phones. If that is the case and it does not have to be a flip phone it opens up many other possibilities for him.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

IF u cant return the phone (depending on the seller will take returns?) take the phone to sprint and get the cheapest service plan, u might be able to jump on the free year of service? keep service for 55 days then get sprint to unlocked the phone and use it on Tello

BUT since the company runs on sprints network u might be SOL because im not sure what phones they take

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    IF u cant return the phone (depending on the seller will take returns?) take the phone to sprint and get the cheapest service plan, u might be able to jump on the free year of service? keep service for 55 days then get sprint to unlocked the phone and use it on Tello

BUT since the company runs on sprints network u might be SOL because im not sure what phones they take
    Boost / Sprint prepaid models are locked to Prepaid and cannot be used on either Sprint postpaid or on MVNO's.

90% of "Sprint" devices on EBay are actually low-cost subsidized Boost prepaid-only models that do not work on either Sprint Postpaid or on MVNO's. When sellers say "Sprint only" what they really mean is that it will not work on Sprint MVNO's (they do not know or care about Sprint postpaid which is obscure to them). If it actually worked on Sprint postpaid, it would also work on Sprint MVNO's.

By the way the Free plan closed to new takers on April 4.