Thread: Hangouts Android App - Strange Issue

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Hangouts Android App - Strange Issue

On my LG Phoenix 2, I set a screen lock PIN because it was required when I set up Google Pay for the first time around 6-9 months ago. Since then, I've used Google Pay exactly once. So today, I decided to remove the PIN. As soon as I did that, the Hangouts app stopped ringing for incoming calls!

I tried a few things, including a couple of restarts, clearing Hangouts cache, force stopping and restarting Hangouts, but nothing helped. So I decided to re-enable the screen lock PIN, and Hangouts started ringing again!

Then I went in and turned the screen lock PIN back off, and Hangouts wouldn't ring again. So I thought I'd re-enable the screen lock PIN again so Hangouts would ring, but now not even that makes the Hangouts app ring!

The Hangouts app on my Moto E4 and Vivo XI still ring just fine for incoming calls.

I guess my next step is to uninstall and re-install the Hangouts app on my Phoenix 2 to see if that helps, but I'd rather not do that!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After you disable the pin, confirm hangouts notifications for calls is still enabled?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    After you disable the pin, confirm hangouts notifications for calls is still enabled?
    Thanks, but Phone doesn't need to be enabled, only Camera, Contacts, Microphone, and Storage, for Hangouts for be fully functional, at least on my devices.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not talking about permissions, but notifications in hangout settings.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I'm not talking about permissions, but notifications in hangout settings.
    Oh! Sorry! Yes, that's still enabled.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmm.... After you disable the pin, try toggling them. Also, might try fully killing hangouts (force stop), then restart it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I had done that. It seems to be ringing correctly today even without the lock screen PIN. I don't know what the problem was yesterday. Oh, well.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'm still having this problem, and still ONLY with my Phoenix 2, and ONLY when using cellular data.

I uninstalled all Hangouts updates and data. I reinstalled a recent Hangouts app version. But still if I disable the screen lock PIN, Hangouts doesn't ring when using cellular data unless I'm already actively using the phone.

It isn't an issue while on WiFi, or on any other device that I use with Hangouts! If I reenable the screen lock PIN, Hangouts rings for incoming calls like it's supposed to while using cellular data.

This was NOT an issue BEFORE I first enabled a screen lock PIN because it was required to use Google Pay. I had never used a screen lock PIN prior to that, and Hangouts ALWAYS rang when it was supposed to.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    More info...

Everything always works over WiFi.

On cellular data, WITHOUT a screen lock PIN, I have discovered the following with the phone screen off and all apps closed.
    Hangouts won't ring for calls or texts
    Google Voice won't ring for calls or texts
    TextNow won't ring for calls or texts
    K9 Mail DOES receive push email like normal
    I didn't test Viber because I really only use it for one person in a different country, but I suspect it wouldn't ring for calls or texts, either.

While on cellular data, WITHOUT a screen lock PIN, if any of the above mentioned apps is OPEN when a call or text comes in, it will ring correctly. But if the app is closed, it won't!

I'll just repeat that this was NOT an issue on this phone BEFORE I first enabled a screen lock PIN around 9 months ago because it was required to use Google Pay. I had never used a screen lock PIN prior to that, and Hangouts ALWAYS rang when it was supposed to.

But with what I reported above, it's obviously a device problem and not a Hangouts problem. Still, if anybody has any thoughts on the problem, please post. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you able to flash different software to it? If so, that might be the route to go.

Recall my issue with inbound calls using gv wifi/data. Since updating to the new android (9) I periodically test, and it works properly now, regardless of wifi or mobile data.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, it's non-rootable.

It's just such a weird problem to affect only (multiple) VoIP apps, and only when using cellular data, but not affect push email.

I guess I'm just stuck with keeping the screen lock PIN.

Maybe it's a sign that it's time to switch to my Moto E4...

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An acquaintance went from a galaxy s4 to a note 9. Probably doesn't need 99% of what the device is capable of, but at least they're current. So much for rooting it through.