Thread: Good News for BlackBerry Fans

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score

Post Good News for BlackBerry Fans

Name:  bb-future.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  33.2 KB

Hot on the heels of last Friday's earnings report (direct link to PDF right here) BlackBerry stock shot up a whopping 47% on the Toronto Stock Exchange early this week. Granted, its stock price on both the TSX and NYSE is still nowhere near that of Apple or Google but, as Yahoo! Finance reports, they've managed what seems to be a very successful pivot into software and services:

Take a look at some recent headlines and you’ll quickly realize this isn’t the BlackBerry of yesterday.

For example, in November, BlackBerry partnered to develop new approaches for high-net-worth digital security. A few days later, BlackBerry announced that it had become a HIMSS Certified Consultant, meaning it can now integrate its service offerings into major healthcare initiatives around the world.

Most importantly, BlackBerry acquired artificial intelligence and cybersecurity company Cylance for $1.4 billion in cash. Management noted that they will immediately integrate the Cylance team into its segment that makes software for next-generation autonomous cars.

As you’ll see, these moves have helped build a reliable source of revenues for BlackBerry while positioning the company well to tap some of the largest growth opportunities of the 21st century.
    Now I myself don't own shares in the company, and I wouldn't ordinarily post about stock market blips here. But in this case I do think it's good news for fans of physical keyboards and security-hardened Android devices; if BlackBerry manages to stay in the black then there can only be more BlackBerries on the horizon for its loyal customers.

Source: Yahoo! Finance
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    I had to look twice to see if this was posted Monday.