Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 12-Month 1GB FreedomPop SIMs on Clearance for $14.98 at some Target Stores (YMMV)

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

12-Month 1GB FreedomPop SIMs on Clearance for $14.98 at some Target Stores (YMMV)

Ran across a couple of the 12-Month, 1GB prepaid SIMs for $15 on the clearance rack at my local Target today. I checked Brickseek.com and this price seems pretty hit or miss- of the 10 Targets close to me, only 2 had marked them down to $15- the others were at $35 (still a good deal- they sell for $50 regularly.)

Here's the Brickseek link if you want to plug in your zip and see if they're available near you. (Insert standard disclaimer here that Brickseek may not be 100% accurate, yada yada...): https://brickseek.com/target-invento...ku=080-02-1798

Cue the usual "FreedomPop is a scam"/"FreedomPop SUCKS!" posts, (and I agree with that sentiment!) but this is a safe way to use FP's AT&T data service cheaply. The "free" FP plans are chock full of fine print and pitfalls that make it easy for them to charge you for extras and overages, but since this is prepaid, you can avoid all of that by NOT giving them any credit card info. You just activate online and get 1GB data/month for 12 months.

Oh, they'll try and bribe you with "500MB of bonus data" to give them a credit card "just in case" you need/want to buy additional data if you go over, but this is not a company anyone should be trusting with their credit card data!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

12-Month 1GB FreedomPop SIMs on Clearance for $14.98 at some Target Stores (YMMV)

My friend bought one of these but then FP wants a $10 activation fee. I didn’t know they charged fees for activations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    They always get you one way or another.

If the fee is not disclosed on the package then a refund is warranted.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    My friend bought one of these but then FP wants a $10 activation fee. I didn’t know they charged fees for activations.
    Your friend is either wrong about the "$10 activation fee", or FP changed the rules again. It really could be either!

Unless/until others report the same, I'd take that info as just one report that still needs to be verified.

Feedback Score
    Last year I bought several of the 3-month version of this SIM when they were on sale at the local Target (for I think $10 each) and my son's been using them without ANY issues ever since. He never hits his monthly limits so his accounts have never been disabled. He simply installs a new SIM every 3 months, then re-programs his Google Voice account to forward calls to the new FP number.

There is NO ACTIVATION FEE on these cards.

My local Target does not have any 12-month SIMs for $15 but the typically discounted $35 retail price is still a better deal than four of the 3-month SIMs. Not only will you pay $5 less per year, but you can use the same phone number for a full year. If you can get one for only $15 that's a tremendous deal, assuming that you understand how FP works and that you do not have unreasonable expectations.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know if this can be used in a hotspot? I might pick one up just for that if it is possible

edit: I found one comment that said it was possible. I guess as long as you can update the APN with it, there shouldn't be any problems
    Last edited by Qt0; 04-04-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Your friend is either wrong about the "$10 activation fee", or FP changed the rules again. It really could be either!

Unless/until others report the same, I'd take that info as just one report that still needs to be verified.
    I activated one three weeks ago and there was no fee. I did (stupidly) fall for the bribe, using a $25 Amex Gift Card as my "credit card". FP placed a $20 authorization hold on it that came off in three days, then I spent the card at a store, so good luck collecting any unwarranted extra charges, FP...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    brickseek seems to be... less than reliable. My "in stock" target had 0. Maybe they got pulled from the shelves. The display cases were empty, and there were a lot of other sim cards not there on the racks either. A lot of blank spaces from various other companies.

Feedback Score
    I was all set to get some of these -- brick seek (if true) claimed two stores within walking distance had stock.

But then I screwed my head on straight and realized that I already have 2350MB of free FP data spread across various Sprint and ATT devices (which I never actually use up) and I kicked myself for thinking of heading to a store to spend even just $15+ taxes on something that I really don't need.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    I was all set to get some of these -- brick seek (if true) claimed two stores within walking distance had stock.

But then I screwed my head on straight and realized that I already have 2350MB of free FP data spread across various Sprint and ATT devices (which I never actually use up) and I kicked myself for thinking of heading to a store to spend even just $15+ taxes on something that I really don't need.
    I had the same temptation to get to the one Target in my area that is listed to have some of these.

Just for the reason that 'Hey that's a great deal!'

But then I had to remind myself that I have tons of service that will last well into 2024 over a few different carriers.

I don't need to spend $15 on something that I don't really need.

Of course I'll probably buy something cell phone related in the next several months.

Black Friday is just around the corner after all.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Anyone know if this can be used in a hotspot? I might pick one up just for that if it is possible

edit: I found one comment that said it was possible. I guess as long as you can update the APN with it, there shouldn't be any problems
    I am using one with an unlocked Netgear Unite Explore hotspot. Since the unit is unlocked I just popped the SIM in and it just worked.

FYI
    Bill

Feedback Score
    Does FreedomPop 's Unreal mobile use regular cell calling and is the data hard capped like FreedomPop, I keep finding conflicting info.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Works well if you know what you're getting...no normal cell circuit calling, no normal text messaging, Everything is VoIP
    (Google voice, WhatsApp), data is hard capped too.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Does FreedomPop 's Unreal mobile use regular cell calling and is the data hard capped like FreedomPop, I keep finding conflicting info.
    Unreal Sprint: YES. Unreal AT&T: NO

Unreal data includes unlimited throttled after the LTE allowance is used.

Feedback Score
    Can confirm. Brickseek had "Limited Stock" but 4 of them were at my local Target. Looks like a reset of the SIM area, which not all stores will have.

Grabbed 4 of those for $15 and 4 of the Unreal Mobile 3-Month SIMs for $6 each. Thanks for the heads up!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast