Thread: Verizon Phone ratings for RECEPTION

Device(s)
    Brightside-GARBAGE!!!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Darth Vader)
    Feedback Score

Verizon Phone ratings for RECEPTION

Hi folks!

After many years with an iPhone 6, it is time to get a new phone. I don't want to get another iPhone as their previous spiking phones with old batteries disgusted me, and now i am seeing a few unaccountable errors like constantly losing my Exchange credentials and sometimes losing my Apple credentials. I also understand that Apple lead the lobbyist campaign in California to oppose the "Right to Repair" initiative. Adding it all together, their lack of ethics disgusts me.

And so, now i am looking at what Verizon has to offer. I find a lot of comparisons over screen size and brightness and cameras and so on, but i am not finding where i can see a good comparison between phones on reception. This is supposed to primarily be a PHONE, right??? I know i am kind of old-school and this consideration might not be popular, or even considered relevant by many, but reception happens to be my most important consideration in choosing a new phone as it is rather a problem when a business call drops; the rest follow.

Can anyone direct me to a reliable mobile phone reception comparison please?

Thank-you very much!!!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I would recommend iphone X from Apple. It still has the Qualcomm chip in it which is better than Intel. Never heard any issues with it on Verizon. X is way better than 6. I am currently on IOS 12.2 and have been using Outlook on it. I update it few days typically after updates come out in Apple Store. Always worked great, never missed any emails. Yes I had battery issue on six, no battery issue at all with the X. There are places with 14 days return maybe even VZ or Apple.
    Last edited by mm18; 03-29-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Feedback Score
    My Xs max has been flawless! Highly recommend. Apple might make some bad moves but so do many other phone makers. Also the battery thing was actually good...they were keeping the phones from shutting off, just poorly executed and they should have given people a choice like they do now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you're looking for something besides apple. Look at the s10 line or the note 9. The reception on these things is phenomenal.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Brightside-GARBAGE!!!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Darth Vader)
    Feedback Score
    Thank-you everyone!

Would someone tell me when we forgot that the primary function of a phone is to be a flipping phone??? It would seem that the target market for these things these days are spastic 16 year old girls. (btw, i have four daughters, ages 16 to 23...)

@Joeybutts - That seems to correlate to the StellaDoradus report. An Apple phone doesn't even place until number 34. Samsung phones place at number 2, 6, 8, 12, 26, 27, 31, 32 & 33.

Unfortunately, this can't be taken as the complete story as since the technology has been evolving so rapidly and so many new products have been thrown to the market in the last year to 1.5 years, i would really hope that they publish a revision with more of the more recent phones included. Further, given the wide distribution of the Galaxy line, you can't make any company-wide generalities. Though i would feel some regret, if Apple placed somewhere in the top, i would still give them serious consideration.

Will keep researching...

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mm18 View Post
    I would recommend iphone X from Apple. It still has the Qualcomm chip in it which is better than Intel. Never heard any issues with it on Verizon. X is way better than 6. I am currently on IOS 12.2 and have been using Outlook on it. I update it few days typically after updates come out in Apple Store. Always worked great, never missed any emails. Yes I had battery issue on six, no battery issue at all with the X. There are places with 14 days return maybe even VZ or Apple.
    Honestly I wouldn’t even do the X, those had an iffy antenna design, the 8+ is the RF beast of iPhones. A friend lost LTE on their Qualcomm X while my old 6 hung on just fine, and my 8+ hangs on where my old 6 lost LTE.

Feedback Score
    OP: I don't want another iphone.

Responses: Get the new iphone blah blah blah.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
    Thank-you everyone!

Would someone tell me when we forgot that the primary function of a phone is to be a flipping phone??? It would seem that the target market for these things these days are spastic 16 year old girls. (btw, i have four daughters, ages 16 to 23...)

@Joeybutts - That seems to correlate to the StellaDoradus report. An Apple phone doesn't even place until number 34. Samsung phones place at number 2, 6, 8, 12, 26, 27, 31, 32 & 33.

Unfortunately, this can't be taken as the complete story as since the technology has been evolving so rapidly and so many new products have been thrown to the market in the last year to 1.5 years, i would really hope that they publish a revision with more of the more recent phones included. Further, given the wide distribution of the Galaxy line, you can't make any company-wide generalities. Though i would feel some regret, if Apple placed somewhere in the top, i would still give them serious consideration.

Will keep researching...
    That was the s8+ at #2. I'd bet the S9+, S10+ and the note 9 would all be up there at the top, as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

There's also some limited data here: https://www.pcmag.com/article/364775...n-of-any-phone
    Last edited by mch; 03-30-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Brightside-GARBAGE!!!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Darth Vader)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting data at PCMAG. One aspect i am wondering about with the reports i am finding - why can't any of these high-tech testers just find a location of an isolated tower and at different locations of blockage and distance simply try "Can you hear me now"??? It might not be high tech, but it is "real world". I recall an old pilot phrase that likely came out of one of the World Wars, being "I read you 5 by 5". Two, nice, simple scales that represented signal strength and clarity (perhaps loudness and clarity). Is that so hard to do???

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Voice quality on modern networks is mostly an artifact of pushing bits around - bandwidth, jitter, and latency matter. The codec also matters. Reception still matters because phones with better reception have better data performance in areas with weak signal. However, it is all becoming data.

The other factor is that many people are far less focused on voice calls. For example, I am in my 50s, make maybe a couple of voice calls a month. Data has opened up so many other ways to communicate.

Back around 2000, I used a lot of voice (about 1000 minutes a month.) Now I probably use closer to 10. What took a voice call back in 2000, is now a quick text message, probably using an app. My conference calls now run over data and have video and allow screen sharing.

The fact that almost nobody answers calls from unrecognized numbers anymore is also limiting the usefulness of the PSTN. Many also don’t listen to voicemail. Spam is killing the PSTN.

I wouldn’t be the first to observe that for many people the cell phone has become a portable internet connected computer/communications device that happens to have a phone app. The high tech testers don’t mention voice because their tech geek audience cares little about voice and realizes that most voice just runs over data anyway.
    Last edited by mch; 03-30-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Device(s)
    Brightside-GARBAGE!!!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Darth Vader)
    Feedback Score
    I guess i am an old stick in the mud...

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The OP evidently does care about reliable voice calls. Given that I recommend Motorola as they started as a 2 way radio business & still offer some of the best performing radios in today's phones. Dropped calls are extremely rare for me & I make a few calls a day.
    Even the FM radios in their smartphones have excellent sensitivity. ( I know, hardly anyone listens to FM radio these days either)

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
    I guess i am an old stick in the mud...
    Guess I am too, even thought I am considered a “teenager” lol. If it’s something short I’ll text but anything more than 4-5 sentences it’s easier to me to just call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast