Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need Help Connecting Two Smartphones, 1 Master + 1 Slave, over Bluetooth or WiFi

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by springoflife View Post
    Thank you everyone, for your replies so far. Silly me thought this would be easy.

Maybe I should take a step back and ask, if I were to link a wifi/bt tablet to a smartphone, and wanted to receive text messages, what app(s) would I need? I hate to admit my ignorance, but I don't even know that much.

The application is an oddball. When I ride bike, I carry my smartphone with me in a padded and waterproof bag mounted on the rear of the bike. Even if I wipe out (which I have), the phone is protected. The issue is, I receive calls and texts (sometimes important!) and am unaware until hours later. Sometimes I get lost and need directions. Sometimes it would also be nice to have music, but I will not wear headphones while riding.

I already own an IP-68 smartphone (Plum Gator 4) with a 5,000mAh battery that I'm not using. So I thought I would mount this inexpensive phone to the front of the bike. If I could link the two phones, then I would get notifications of calls, texts, and emails. The Plum Gator 4 also has GPS and navigation. I'm not a spring chicken, so the large display of the Plum Gator 4 would be much nicer to navigate by, rather than using a smartwatch. And if I wipe out, I'd rather risk damaging a Plum Gator 4 than a smartwatch. (Especially because I already own the Plum Gator 4). "All I need to do" is find a way to link to the Plum Gator 4 at the front of the bike to the smartphone tucked away in the rear, without paying for an additional SIM or second phone number.
    Thanks for the use info. That is like a phone/smartwatch or phone/car system. I have not heard of an app that will do that in the same way with two phones.

If you want to switch to Google Voice, you can do it with two phones - one with cell service and the other getting Wifi from the master phone. I know this works. I have been doing it for years. My main phone sits in one place when I am home. I use another phone to bang around the house with it on Wifi.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can use the cheap phone with here wego offline maps for navigation on your bike. You can put music mp3 files too.

You can put the phone with service in your pocket on vibrate so you will know if you get a call.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    You can use the cheap phone with here wego offline maps for navigation on your bike. You can put music mp3 files too.

You can put the phone with service in your pocket on vibrate so you will know if you get a call.
    OP wants the high value phone with service in the padded bag behind the seat for protection.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by springoflife View Post
    Thank you everyone, for your replies so far. Silly me thought this would be easy.

Maybe I should take a step back and ask, if I were to link a wifi/bt tablet to a smartphone, and wanted to receive text messages, what app(s) would I need? I hate to admit my ignorance, but I don't even know that much.

The application is an oddball. When I ride bike, I carry my smartphone with me in a padded and waterproof bag mounted on the rear of the bike. Even if I wipe out (which I have), the phone is protected. The issue is, I receive calls and texts (sometimes important!) and am unaware until hours later. Sometimes I get lost and need directions. Sometimes it would also be nice to have music, but I will not wear headphones while riding.

I already own an IP-68 smartphone (Plum Gator 4) with a 5,000mAh battery that I'm not using. So I thought I would mount this inexpensive phone to the front of the bike. If I could link the two phones, then I would get notifications of calls, texts, and emails. The Plum Gator 4 also has GPS and navigation. I'm not a spring chicken, so the large display of the Plum Gator 4 would be much nicer to navigate by, rather than using a smartwatch. And if I wipe out, I'd rather risk damaging a Plum Gator 4 than a smartwatch. (Especially because I already own the Plum Gator 4). "All I need to do" is find a way to link to the Plum Gator 4 at the front of the bike to the smartphone tucked away in the rear, without paying for an additional SIM or second phone number.
    I have thought of a way to accomplish the goal of being notified of calls and texts.

Put IFTTT (If This Then That) on the master phone. Run the triggers/applets: Email Missed Call and Email New Text.

Tether the IP-68 to the master. Receive email notifications of missed calls and texts.

Tethering will take care of music and navigation. The master phone would still be needed for actual calls and texts.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I ride a bike and I carry my phone in my jacket pocket and the phone is protected OK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2