Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Connecting Two Smartphones, 1 Master + 1 Slave, over Bluetooth or WiFi

Feedback Score

Question Need Help Connecting Two Smartphones, 1 Master + 1 Slave, over Bluetooth or WiFi

Basically, think of the "slave" smartphone as a "bluetooth smartwatch" but with a bigger screen.

I want the slave to be able to make/receive calls and texts, Google Maps with GPS, etc, all without a SIM card. I can pair it to a "master" smartphone (with a SIM) using Bluetooth or Wifi.

I do not want to purchase a second cell line or have a second phone number for the slave. I will only be using one phone at a time. Ever.

When I pair the phones together over Bluetooth, nothing works.

When I pair the phone together using Wifi, the data passes through, but not calls or messaging.

What apps to I need to mirror or sync the two Android smartphones?

Thanks in advance.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You cannot have 2 different cell phones with the same phone # in the US. I understand what you want the phones to do, but it won't happen like you want it.

You can use another phone without a SIM card on Wifi only and that would work for data, not voice.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    You can use Google Voice with one phone number between various devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by springoflife View Post
    Basically, think of the "slave" smartphone as a "bluetooth smartwatch" but with a bigger screen.

I want the slave to be able to make/receive calls and texts, Google Maps with GPS, etc, all without a SIM card. I can pair it to a "master" smartphone (with a SIM) using Bluetooth or Wifi.

I do not want to purchase a second cell line or have a second phone number for the slave. I will only be using one phone at a time. Ever.

When I pair the phones together over Bluetooth, nothing works.

When I pair the phone together using Wifi, the data passes through, but not calls or messaging.

What apps to I need to mirror or sync the two Android smartphones?

Thanks in advance.
    I do not know of any apps to master-slave or mirror phones. No way that I know of to use the phone service of the master phone from the slave.

You can sort of do what you are asking if you can get the master phone to hotspot. Hotspot the master phone to provide Wifi. Connect the slave phone to the master on Wifi and use Google Voice or Hangouts to make data VOIP calls.

Theoretically there is a way with Bluetooth. That is what my car does. My phone is the master and the car is the slave. Maybe there is an app.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I can connect the phones to each other by Hotspotting the Master and connecting the slave through WiFi, or by pairing the phones with Bluetooth. The phones do connect/pair either way.

I was hoping this would work similar to how a Bluetooth smartwatch is paired to the Master. The smartwatch can make/receive calls and texts, using the cellphone SIM.

Or even a Tablet. It can be setup the same way, using a phone as a master.

But instead of a watch or a tablet, I want to use another smartphone as the slave.

Feedback Score
    In the beginning I was thinking that it is possible for a minute. Everything was described like you can do that. Oooh. Why we can't do that? Even if master-slave sounds awful.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried configuring the Bluetooth connection as a handsfree audio device type? You might be able to at least take calls, and possibly use voice activation to make calls.

Failing that, you can use VoIP to have a consistent phone number between as many handsets as you like. That includes Google Voice and any number of VoIP solutions.

Feedback Score
    Will Wear OS or Watch OS work if installed on your phones?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by good4life View Post

As long as your phone is compatible.

Feedback Score
    Windows 10 has a new my phone app that I think can make calls from the PC using your Android phone.

I have not used it yet so not sure but sounds like it works like you want except you wanted to use another phone not a PC.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

I can make calls from my Samsung Gear S3 Frontier smart watch only if my phone is within Bluetooth range using the same phone #. Not sure if that is something you are thinking of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I can make calls from my Samsung Gear S3 Frontier smart watch only if my phone is within Bluetooth range using the same phone #. Not sure if that is something you are thinking of.
    Yes, basically.

The OP wants an extension to his primary phone to make calls/texts over Bluetooth, similar to how a smartwatch works. I was suggesting installing the watch software to see if that will work. I don't think it will but the OP could try. Since BT is short range, I'm not sure what the OP wants to accomplish since he only uses one phone at as time.

Feedback Score
    Yes, basically.

The OP wants an extension to his primary phone to make calls/texts over Bluetooth, similar to how a smartwatch works. I was suggesting installing the watch software to see if that will work. I don't think it will but the OP could try. Since BT is short range, I'm not sure what the OP wants to accomplish since he only uses one phone at as time.
    A use case could be for poor cell signal in a location. The master phone with paid service may get adequate signal with the phone placed at a window. The slave phone could do calls away from the window through the master phone without paying for a second cell service. This used to be the case at my house.

A Link2Cell cordless phone would do the same for the extra cost of the cordless phone system.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone, for your replies so far. Silly me thought this would be easy.

Maybe I should take a step back and ask, if I were to link a wifi/bt tablet to a smartphone, and wanted to receive text messages, what app(s) would I need? I hate to admit my ignorance, but I don't even know that much.

The application is an oddball. When I ride bike, I carry my smartphone with me in a padded and waterproof bag mounted on the rear of the bike. Even if I wipe out (which I have), the phone is protected. The issue is, I receive calls and texts (sometimes important!) and am unaware until hours later. Sometimes I get lost and need directions. Sometimes it would also be nice to have music, but I will not wear headphones while riding.

I already own an IP-68 smartphone (Plum Gator 4) with a 5,000mAh battery that I'm not using. So I thought I would mount this inexpensive phone to the front of the bike. If I could link the two phones, then I would get notifications of calls, texts, and emails. The Plum Gator 4 also has GPS and navigation. I'm not a spring chicken, so the large display of the Plum Gator 4 would be much nicer to navigate by, rather than using a smartwatch. And if I wipe out, I'd rather risk damaging a Plum Gator 4 than a smartwatch. (Especially because I already own the Plum Gator 4). "All I need to do" is find a way to link to the Plum Gator 4 at the front of the bike to the smartphone tucked away in the rear, without paying for an additional SIM or second phone number.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Neat idea , I would think a tech who knew android could clone the watch software to the phone , it would take a lot of work ,
    I would love the same idea but on a tablets I am not sure if you turn your phone into a hotspot that calls and texts still work on the "hotspoted" phone
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast