Thread: Discounts & Porting from Cricket

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Question Discounts & Porting from Cricket

Hey Folks,

I've been a happy Cricket customer for several years now, but I saw the promo that AT&T Prepaid is running ($45/mo for the Unlimited plan for new activations) which is $10/mo cheaper than I'm paying now with Cricket for the same thing, and I decided I'd go ahead and switch. I prefer porting in-store, so last night I dropped by an AT&T store and told the associate my plan, and he told me that I'm not eligible for the discount because ports from AT&T-owned MVNOs don't count. He said that, for me, it would be $55/mo. This seems like BS to me. Can anyone confirm this?

Additionally, he told me I need my "Cricket account number" to port. I figured it'd probably just be my phone number, but he said he knew nothing about Cricket so he wasn't sure -- anybody know about this? Do I have to call Cricket to get my account number or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I ported from Cricket to AT&T prepaid in store with no issue. You can log into your Cricket account online or thru the mobile app and your account # will be listed there. Or they should give it to you if you call. I took a screenshot while logged into the mobile app of my Cricket account #, went to the AT&T store told the associate what I wanted to do, showed the screenshot with all the info and everything went fine.

Feedback Score
    Guy probably doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

I'm sure EVERYONE is eligible for the $45 unlimited plan, all it needs is Autopay enabled to get the discount, it has NOTHING to do with what previous carrier/mvno you were with prior.

Do it online man, everything went well for me, came from cricket.

Hope you get everything sorted out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cougar11; 03-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar11 View Post
    I'm sure EVERYONE is eligible for the $45 uninjured plan, all it needs is [Autopay] enabled to get the discount, it has NOTHING to do with what previous carrier/mvno you were with prior.
    Right, this is what I suspected too. I might go the online route -- I just prefer in-store in case something goes horribly wrong, I can basically hold them accountable until it's taken care of. We have one more AT&T store in town that I can try, but if they feed me a bunch of BS like the other store, I'll probably just do it online.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreenOfTOM View Post
    Right, this is what I suspected too. I might go the online route -- I just prefer in-store in case something goes horribly wrong, I can basically hold them accountable until it's taken care of. We have one more AT&T store in town that I can try, but if they feed me a bunch of BS like the other store, I'll probably just do it online.
    Just do it online, no hassle and pretty straight forward.

Good Luck

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If you’re worried about the BS, tell them it’s ok, you don’t mind paying full rate. As soon as their iPad gets to the last step in the activation process and autopay is setup, it’ll charge you the $45 rate and the rep will get to feel stupid. Alternatively if you don’t even feel like dealing with the BS, don’t tell them the carrier you are porting from, they have no way to see who it is on their iPad, just say it’s metro or something.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Awesome, good info, thanks. Might still go this route, but...

I was checking out the online system and I see that I can get a free ZTE Maven 3 if I do it online (looks like this phone/deal is online only). Now, I don't really need this phone, but I figure it's always good to have a temporary backup in case my primary phone meets an untimely demise. I have a GS8, so I could just use the SIM card and stick the Maven in a drawer. Anyway, if I'm reading the fine print correctly, if I sign up online, I have to pay full price for the first month (so a full $65), then as long as I sign up for Autopay by April 11, it should be at the discounted $45/mo rate. Do I have that right?

Feedback Score
    Awesome, good info, thanks. Might still go this route, but...

I was checking out the online system and I see that I can get a free ZTE Maven 3 if I do it online (looks like this phone/deal is online only). Now, I don't really need this phone, but I figure it's always good to have a temporary backup in case my primary phone meets an untimely demise. I have a GS8, so I could just use the SIM card and stick the Maven in a drawer. Anyway, if I'm reading the fine print correctly, if I sign up online, I have to pay full price for the first month (so a full $65), then as long as I sign up for Autopay by April 11, it should be at the discounted $45/mo rate. Do I have that right?
    That’s all right EXCEPT if you do it online l, you just complete autopay enrollment by 4/1, it’s 4/11 in store.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Oh, hmm... so, I assume if I begin this process today, the port won't be complete until I receive and activate the new phone/SIM. It follows that I can't enable autopay until this happens. Is this correct? So if I go the online route, I'm cutting it close...

Feedback Score
    Oh, hmm... so, I assume if I begin this process today, the port won't be complete until I receive and activate the new phone/SIM. It follows that I can't enable autopay until this happens. Is this correct? So if I go the online route, I'm cutting it close...
    That’s correct

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Oof... yeah, that's cutting it too close. I guess I'm going back to the store tonight. I'm just going to go in and tell them I want to port in and not mention that I'm coming from cricket and not mention the autopay discount (but do tell them I want to sign up for autopay) as you suggested. Wish me luck!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Just thought I'd report back. I went to the second AT&T store last night and told them I wanted to port. Didn't mention anything about the discounts. They seemed cool with it, no issues. Way nicer people than the guy at the store I went to the previous night. We sat down, entered all the info, etc, and it appeared to go smoothly. Popped the new SIM in my GS8, booted it up, and eventually it got a signal... but data never came through.

After waiting 10 minutes or so, the techs played with my phone and discovered they could make calls, but no SMS/MMS was going through and there was no data. Going to the APN settings showed everything correct. They messed around with it for 15 minutes or so, finally calling some port department who confirmed everything had gone through successfully. They couldn't figure it out. Eventually they took the SIM out of my phone and put it in one of the store phones and... same issue on the store phone. So then they decided to try issuing me a new SIM. They got it all configured and put the new SIM in my phone and it immediately connected with data.

I was impressed with how the situation was handled. Even though I was a lowly prepaid customer, I had (at one point) 3 techs at the store trying to help. It was clear they weren't going to give up until everything was working properly for me. So kudos to the in-store team on this one. I can also confirm I got the $45/mo rate right off the bat... since I was able to sign up for Autopay at time of purchase, I only paid $45 for the first month. Sounds like if I'd gone the online route, I would have had to pay $65 for the first month, so this was nice.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just thought I'd report back. I went to the second AT&T store last night and told them I wanted to port. Didn't mention anything about the discounts. They seemed cool with it, no issues. Way nicer people than the guy at the store I went to the previous night. We sat down, entered all the info, etc, and it appeared to go smoothly. Popped the new SIM in my GS8, booted it up, and eventually it got a signal... but data never came through.

After waiting 10 minutes or so, the techs played with my phone and discovered they could make calls, but no SMS/MMS was going through and there was no data. Going to the APN settings showed everything correct. They messed around with it for 15 minutes or so, finally calling some port department who confirmed everything had gone through successfully. They couldn't figure it out. Eventually they took the SIM out of my phone and put it in one of the store phones and... same issue on the store phone. So then they decided to try issuing me a new SIM. They got it all configured and put the new SIM in my phone and it immediately connected with data.

I was impressed with how the situation was handled. Even though I was a lowly prepaid customer, I had (at one point) 3 techs at the store trying to help. It was clear they weren't going to give up until everything was working properly for me. So kudos to the in-store team on this one. I can also confirm I got the $45/mo rate right off the bat... since I was able to sign up for Autopay at time of purchase, I only paid $45 for the first month. Sounds like if I'd gone the online route, I would have had to pay $65 for the first month, so this was nice.
    This is typical of my experience at AT&T stores.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Durham, NC

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I’ve had the same experience at my AT&T store, except last time. They were busy but I got pushed off to the side, for almost 40 minutes. And when someone finally same up to me it took only 5 minutes because I needed new sim cars. No wonder my store is hiring.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:
    https://imgur.com/a/UMj1hM1