Thread: Cricket Wireless locked an Iphone that was BYOP

Device(s)
    ZTE Zmax, Zte Blade ZMax, Samsung in my previous life.
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Cricket Wireless locked an Iphone that was BYOP

We started our service September 2016. My mum went to the Apple store October 2018 to purchase an Iphone 7 plus 128 gb (Cricket doesn't sell 128 gb in Rose Gold) We were attempting to transfer our service to Xfinity. We were told by Xfinity, that Cricket has locked IMEI.

Isn't this illegal? Shouldn't Cricket unlock if we ask to unlock?? Seems very shady to me.

Also Cricket continually lies when we ask to unlock by saying it is...

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 830, HTC One M7, iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Cricket Wireless locked an Iphone that was BYOP

This is an issue created by Apple. Apple has two different kinds of “unlocked” phones.

The first is what most people think of as unlocked. You can put in any sim at any time and it’ll work.

The second is a type that will automatically lock to the first sim inserted. This way a single model iPhone is not carrier locked when sold, but locks when activated on a carrier.

So the phone is likely locked to cricket, but it’s not in crickets database since they didn’t sell it, and it technically wasn’t cricket who locked it. You’ll probably have to sort it out with Apple if you have proof you bought an unlocked model.

Apple has a model like this so stores like Best Buy can have a pile of iPhones they can sell on cell contract for a variety of carriers without Best Buy needing to have a ton of unique stock for each carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    We did specifically purchase a phone that is Unlocked & Sim free. We also ensured it is capable to GSM/CDMA.
    Hopefully it will unlock soon. I've spoken with Cricket who admitted to me in chat that they did lock the phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had heard of universal unlocked iPhone like the ones Best Buy sells meaning once a sim is inserted weather it’s cricket at&t or t mobile it’s locked to that carrier. If you can’t convince that carrier to unlock your iPhone there is an alternative motive by looking on eBay there are tons of sellers who claim they can unlock your iPhone for a nominal charge. Good luck

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RemydaRat View Post
    We started our service September 2016. My mum went to the Apple store October 2018 to purchase an Iphone 7 plus 128 gb (Cricket doesn't sell 128 gb in Rose Gold) We were attempting to transfer our service to Xfinity. We were told by Xfinity, that Cricket has locked IMEI.

Isn't this illegal? Shouldn't Cricket unlock if we ask to unlock?? Seems very shady to me.

Also Cricket continually lies when we ask to unlock by saying it is...
    I ve been buying unlocked iPhone since 6, 6s plus, and 7 plus through Apple store app and all were sold back on swappa. None a single issue of locking, people use them on T-Mobile, sprint and Verizon afterward.
    Currently XR on Cricket and the XR will get sold at year end for newer model.
    Your case may be exclusive. FYI

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
    This is an issue created by Apple. Apple has two different kinds of “unlocked” phones.

The first is what most people think of as unlocked. You can put in any sim at any time and it’ll work.

The second is a type that will automatically lock to the first sim inserted. This way a single model iPhone is not carrier locked when sold, but locks when activated on a carrier.

So the phone is likely locked to cricket, but it’s not in crickets database since they didn’t sell it, and it technically wasn’t cricket who locked it. You’ll probably have to sort it out with Apple if you have proof you bought an unlocked model.

Apple has a model like this so stores like Best Buy can have a pile of iPhones they can sell on cell contract for a variety of carriers without Best Buy needing to have a ton of unique stock for each carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by echance20 View Post
    I had heard of universal unlocked iPhone like the ones Best Buy sells meaning once a sim is inserted weather it’s cricket at&t or t mobile it’s locked to that carrier. If you can’t convince that carrier to unlock your iPhone there is an alternative motive by looking on eBay there are tons of sellers who claim they can unlock your iPhone for a nominal charge. Good luck
    Oryan and echance are right. The 'Reseller Flex Policy' is on iPhones sold by retailers like Best Buy and Walmart. Once you insert a SIM and activate, it is locked to that carrier. If that first activation is Verizon, then it is unlocked. It sounds like the Apple store gave you the wrong version of the phone and you didn't find out until months later. I would run an Apple GSX report (found on ebay for about $1) to see if it shows the Reseller Flex Policy as initial activation. The Apple store should be able to help since they sold you the phone, as long as it was listed as 'SIM Free' on the purchase.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I got Apple to admit in writing via chat, the original phone we ordered was GSM/CDNA. It was delivered and stolen off the porch so Apple reordered. We believe, the new phone isn't the exact model which has been confirmed. We're supposed to hear back from Apple today as the Rep indicated, they want to make it right.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 830, HTC One M7, iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RemydaRat View Post
    I got Apple to admit in writing via chat, the original phone we ordered was GSM/CDNA. It was delivered and stolen off the porch so Apple reordered. We believe, the new phone isn't the exact model which has been confirmed. We're supposed to hear back from Apple today as the Rep indicated, they want to make it right.
    That sounds oddly familiar to my experience. We ordered an unlocked iPhone 6s when they first came out. We thought there was an issue with the speaker phone, so Apple sent a replacement. But, during initial setup we got a screen that said it would lock to a carrier. So we had them send another, same issue. The rep told us we could ignore that warning, so we setup the phone. We learned the speaker issue was still there and that it was indeed locked. It seemed Apple was sending out those flex policy phones as replacements instead of actual unlocked phones. We ended up just keeping the original. I think there is still confusion within Apple over the two different types of “unlocked” phones.