Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto G7 Power

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Moto G7 Power

I decided not to wait any longer and ordered the Moto G7 Power. It should arrive on Wednesday. I'll report on it some time next week.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I decided not to wait any longer and ordered the Moto G7 Power. It should arrive on Wednesday. I'll report on it some time next week.
    Thanks. Sounds like an interesting phone. But I think it lacks NFC. That's a no go for me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like an interesting phone. But I think it lacks NFC. That's a no go for me.
    I noticed that but NFC was not an issue for me. I was more put off by the lack of dual-SIM capability but that was not a high-priority either. I had a long list of desirable features but at the core was a carrier-agnostic, Android phone that supports all the bands used by both T-Mobile and Sprint, with a maximum price of $350.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 03-25-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    My new G7 Power arrived on Monday. So far, I'm pretty impressed with the value this phone delivers for the price ($267 total). It's not a a thousand dollar flagship by any stretch of the imagination but it's filling my needs very nicely. It's carrier agnostic, runs a pretty much unmodified Android Pie and the bootloader is unlockable. The screen is big and bright enough for easy viewing of YouTube videos and Twitch streams without straining. The camera is OK. (I've got a digital SLR if I need to take serious photos.) The most important features for me include the list of LTE bands, including all of T-Mobile's and Sprint's current bands and the huge battery. No more lugging a battery phone charger on weekend backpacking trips. It also has most of the important international LTE bands. What it doesn't have that I wish it did is more memory, dual-SIM support and MHL video output. MHL however, seem to be flagship feature that I wasn't willing to pay hundreds more to have. What it has that I don't need is CDMA.

At this point in time, I don't know why manufacturers are introducing new models with CDMA. Verizon is about to drop CDMA. Sprint's probably going to merge and their CDMA network will be shut down. CSpire won't activate 3rd-party devices. The European model would have been a good choice, if only it had bands-12 & 71. It has only 13 LTE bands while the US model has 26. For this reason, it was a non-starter. IMHO, what Moto needs to do is to come out with a G7 that has all the LTE bands possible, drops CDMA, has 64 GB and dual SIMs.

There's a diagnostic menu that can be accessed by dialing *#*#2486#*#* but I haven't found it to be very useful. There doesn't seem to be a way to lock the phone on a given band, like on Samsungs.

There are a couple of YouTube reviews but they are for the European model. As far as the screen, camera & button pushing, I think they're pretty similar.
    https://youtu.be/ghLetKFeNG0
    https://youtu.be/GYeXJmG__I8

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My new G7 Power arrived on Monday. So far, I'm pretty impressed with the value this phone delivers for the price ($267 total). It's not a a thousand dollar flagship by any stretch of the imagination but it's filling my needs very nicely. It's carrier agnostic, runs a pretty much unmodified Android Pie and the bootloader is unlockable. The screen is big and bright enough for easy viewing of YouTube videos and Twitch streams without straining. The camera is OK. (I've got a digital SLR if I need to take serious photos.) The most important features for me include the list of LTE bands, including all of T-Mobile's and Sprint's current bands and the huge battery. No more lugging a battery phone charger on weekend backpacking trips. It also has most of the important international LTE bands. What it doesn't have that I wish it did is more memory, dual-SIM support and MHL video output. MHL however, seem to be flagship feature that I wasn't willing to pay hundreds more to have. What it has that I don't need is CDMA.

At this point in time, I don't know why manufacturers are introducing new models with CDMA. Verizon is about to drop CDMA. Sprint's probably going to merge and their CDMA network will be shut down. CSpire won't activate 3rd-party devices. The European model would have been a good choice, if only it had bands-12 & 71. It has only 13 LTE bands while the US model has 26. For this reason, it was a non-starter. IMHO, what Moto needs to do is to come out with a G7 that has all the LTE bands possible, drops CDMA, has 64 GB and dual SIMs.

There's a diagnostic menu that can be accessed by dialing *#*#2486#*#* but I haven't found it to be very useful. There doesn't seem to be a way to lock the phone on a given band, like on Samsungs.

There are a couple of YouTube reviews but they are for the European model. As far as the screen, camera & button pushing, I think they're pretty similar.
    https://youtu.be/ghLetKFeNG0
    https://youtu.be/GYeXJmG__I8
    Thanks for the update! I've been using the Z3 play for about a month now. I don't regret buying the phone, but I'm not sure if it's any better than the G line. The display looks washed out at lower brightness and it lags when running certain apps, or when too many apps are running. I haven't tried any Mods yet. The batter life is solid, though! Motorola does well with that. And a carrier-unlocked phone has value in itself. That said, the G line may be more worth-it compared to the Z line.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you're thinking of ordering a Moto phone from Moto, try this. Go through the process up to the point that you enter your credit card and stop. In several days you may receive an e-mail with a code offering you 10% off. They sent me a code because I abandoned one attempt to purchase before actually completing the process.

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you're thinking of ordering a Moto phone from Moto, try this. Go through the process up to the point that you enter your credit card and stop. In several days you may receive an e-mail with a code offering you 10% off. They sent me a code because I abandoned one attempt to purchase before actually completing the process.
    Nice to know.

Question,

Since Wi-Fi calling is the only way my phone works at a family members house I am curious if it has it.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Since Wi-Fi calling is the only way my phone works at a family members house I am curious if it has it.
    Yep. I've tested it in T-Mobile dead signal spots with WiFi and it works fine.

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yep. I've tested it in T-Mobile dead signal spots with WiFi and it works fine.
    Thank you

Sent from my LG G6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review, sir. Now I really regret not waiting. I bought my wife the T-Mo E5 Plus a few months ago to replace her broken Samsung S7 (her biggest complaint from day 1 with that phone and the S6 before it was battery life!)

I played with the G7 Power at Best Buy briefly, and was impressed by the (relative) snappiness of the device- much nicer than my old G5 Plus and seems comparable to my current Moto X4.
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    I bought Moto G7 Power yesterday for my son. Nice phone, T-Mobile's VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling work from the box.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have looked at the dual SIM G7 power on Amazon and eBay ,
    Yes there is no band 71 for TMobile , when will that become a problem if you do not have it ?

Also both these are South America models and no guarantee , I wonder if there is a guarantee if I happen to be in South America!
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    ....Yes there is no band 71 for TMobile , when will that become a problem if you do not have it ?...
    Depending on location any time from today to never. It all depends on if you live in an area that has band 12 and is not too congested.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    I have looked at the dual SIM G7 power on Amazon and eBay ,
    Yes there is no band 71 for TMobile , when will that become a problem if you do not have it ?
    I don't see band 12 or 17 support on either of the 2 International models offered on Amazon. Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I don't see band 12 or 17 support on either of the 2 International models offered on Amazon. Am I missing something?
    International/dual SIM models of Moto G5/6/7 (any version) and Moto E4/5 (any version) do not have bands 12,17,66 and 71. Also they do not support (must likely) VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling of T-Mobile and any other US operator.

So, you should not use these models of Moto G/E on T-Mobile network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast