Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Red Pocket AT&T preferring "4G" instead of "LTE"

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,158
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't know if this is in any way related, but if I switch FP AT&T LTE data only SIMs in my Moto E4 XT1768, it sometimes takes several minutes to switch from 4G to LTE using the newly inserted FP AT&T LTE data only SIM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,016
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can speed things up perhaps by toggling airplane mode. Although if it's just after swapping sim cards, it could take up to a min or two sometimes. Seems to vary with device.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,996
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Can speed things up perhaps by toggling airplane mode. Although if it's just after swapping sim cards, it could take up to a min or two sometimes. Seems to vary with device.
    I wish it were that easy. Anytime it makes a new connection to the AT&T network, either via cellular toggle, phone restart or eSIM/SIM toggle - the 12-14 minute delay to connect to LTE begins.


    Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,016
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's a long delay. Maybe a unique feature of Iphone

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    After much troubleshooting, I found the issue is with Red Pocket's mobileconfig file for IOS. Specifically, when I added the AttachAPN value my phone now joins LTE immediately. No more waiting around.

    If you want the newly modified file, I posted it to Dropbox.
    I'm too new to post the full link, but the path is /s/t7jzj4i71ck80t5/redpocket.mobileconfig?dl=1

    If you want to make your own (or don't trust me), do the following:
    1. Download the official file from ios.redpocket.com
    2. Add the following on line 8 (that is, right between the "<dict>" and "<key>APNs</key>" lines)

      Code:
           	<key>AttachAPN</key>
           	<dict>
           		<key>Name</key>
           		<string>RESELLER</string></dict>
    3. Save to a location you get to on your phone. Dropbox worked well for this.
    4. Remove the old profile from Settings > General > Profiles
    5. Go get your new profile from wherever you saved it (you'll have to use Wifi)
    6. Install the new profile in Settings > General > Profiles
    7. Enjoy not waiting for LTE.


    Hopefully Red Pocket will fix this in the future releases of their mobileconfig file for iOS.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,996
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @kioneo
    Thanks and great detective work! I saw your Reddit post too. I was able to successfully install the updated profile, and will try the fix at a later time - after I switch my RP GSMA SIM back into my iPhone. Did you contact RP tech support with this information?

    Since my initial posts, I have instead put the GSMA SIM in my Pixel 3 so that I am manually able to switch between T-Mobile/Sprint on the Google Fi eSIM, and AT&T on the physical SIM. On my iPhone I am using Verizon on the eSIM, and Google Fi (T-Mobile) as a data-only physical SIM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I did contact support, though I feel like it may have been a futile effort. They kept telling me to install the profile from ios.redpocket.com (which is still broken). I told them I no longer have the issue after applying the modified profile.

    Hopefully it filters it's way up to the proper folks who can fix it as I asked them to checkout the Reddit and Howardforums threads for more detail.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Worked great thanks for the tip.

    Quote Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
    After much troubleshooting, I found the issue is with Red Pocket's mobileconfig file for IOS. Specifically, when I added the AttachAPN value my phone now joins LTE immediately. No more waiting around.

    If you want the newly modified file, I posted it to Dropbox.
    I'm too new to post the full link, but the path is /s/t7jzj4i71ck80t5/redpocket.mobileconfig?dl=1

    If you want to make your own (or don't trust me), do the following:
    1. Download the official file from ios.redpocket.com
    2. Add the following on line 8 (that is, right between the "<dict>" and "<key>APNs</key>" lines)

      Code:
           	<key>AttachAPN</key>
           	<dict>
           		<key>Name</key>
           		<string>RESELLER</string></dict>
    3. Save to a location you get to on your phone. Dropbox worked well for this.
    4. Remove the old profile from Settings > General > Profiles
    5. Go get your new profile from wherever you saved it (you'll have to use Wifi)
    6. Install the new profile in Settings > General > Profiles
    7. Enjoy not waiting for LTE.


    Hopefully Red Pocket will fix this in the future releases of their mobileconfig file for iOS.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,120
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On iPhones, Apple controls the configuration files and most of the times they are not pushing the right one, due either to confusing plans or just bad skills from Red Pocket admins. Here is the later.

    Those cut-rate plans are made for cut-rate phones...

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    111
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Update: Interestingly, after putting the SIM in my Pixel 3 and configuring the APN - LTE comes up nearly instantaneously - no ~12 minute delay. Will be calling support...
    Have you checked with a cell phone discovery app to see what you are really receiving?

    It might just be a display issue.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,996
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Red Pocket AT&amp;T preferring &quot;4G&quot; instead of &quot;LTE&quot;

    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    Have you checked with a cell phone discovery app to see what you are really receiving?

    It might just be a display issue.
    I definitely had HSPA speeds when displaying “4G”. But it’s no longer a problem with the modified profile posted earlier.


    Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,577
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I wonder if this isn't actually expected behavior due to it being a Data only line, power saving. If iOS thinks you have an active connection to the other provider (Verizon) and data is not needed then it might skip connecting to the back-up service simultaneously to conserve on battery perhaps? The "AttachAPN" key may be an "accelerant" to tell iOS that you don't care about the battery saving measure and force a connection as soon as possible.

    I don't know this for a fact, but it's one theory I came up with on the understanding that you're doing the Dual-SIM thing.

    --Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,996
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    I wonder if this isn't actually expected behavior due to it being a Data only line, power saving. If iOS thinks you have an active connection to the other provider (Verizon) and data is not needed then it might skip connecting to the back-up service simultaneously to conserve on battery perhaps? The "AttachAPN" key may be an "accelerant" to tell iOS that you don't care about the battery saving measure and force a connection as soon as possible.

    I don't know this for a fact, but it's one theory I came up with on the understanding that you're doing the Dual-SIM thing.

    --Kidd
    When this was initially a problem a few months ago, I tested turning off the eSIM (Verizon), and with only the physical SIM (Red Pocket) it had the same delay. Thankfully a sharp forum member figured out the problem and fixed the config file.


    Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Red Pocket AT&T Network vs Verizon
    By mogulman1 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-16-2019, 05:39 PM
  2. Red Pocket AT&T vs Red Pocket Verizon-any difference in annual plans
    By Robynsus in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 04-07-2018, 12:20 PM
  3. iPhone 5S now says HOME 4G again, instead of TFW LTE
    By TheDoc46 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2014, 01:23 AM
  4. Red Pocket AT&T Sim - no data working?
    By offroad1994 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks