Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: many parts of my city still only has Verizon 3G signal, what will happen after it's

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps that 850 spectrum will be refarmed to 5G instead of LTE to provide a more nationwide 5G(non mmWave) network. That's what AT&T is planning from what I hear.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    What did CDMA soft handoff to?

Obviously, because Verizon didn't implement it. VoLTE on ATT hands off to 3G.
    Because CDMA is a different core, it does not support handoff.. HSPA/LTE is based off the same GSM core vs IS-95 core

The phone would have to negotiate a link to the CDMA network, change codecs, etc.. it's just not feasible. AT&T can use the same codec on HSPA/LTE/WiFi, whereas Verizon it's EVRC on 1xRTT and EVS on LTE/WiFi Calling.

When 1xRTT first came out, it was far superior to GSM as far as data speed and range, but once EvDO came around and HSPA started getting meaningful upgrades it became a dead end tech unfortunately.

CDMA works better in low signal environments as it does not require a time slot like GSM did, and so like if it took the transceiver a bit longer to get back to the base it was fine, and the call was still legible to both parties. and honestly i fondly remember tethering my phone on a regular basis as where we lived it was dial up only and the 144kbps was solid and worked well.

Hell, that place now only has 3Mbps from frontier, as the cable system is old 330MHz analog one-way that's never been upgraded by Time Warner Cable/Spectrum.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Perhaps that 850 spectrum will be refarmed to 5G instead of LTE to provide a more nationwide 5G(non mmWave) network. That's what AT&T is planning from what I hear.
    No, see https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...d-5-deployment

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    Right but they already have 5x5 B5 LTE deployed in many areas but that doesn't mean they're going to use the other chunk(after the CDMA shutdown) for LTE. At some point carriers will start refarming LTE spectrum for a sub 6 GHz 5G deployment.

Feedback Score
    Right but they already have 5x5 B5 LTE deployed in many areas but that doesn't mean they're going to use the other chunk(after the CDMA shutdown) for LTE. At some point carriers will start refarming LTE spectrum for a sub 6 GHz 5G deployment.
    Some people in that thread already saw 10x10 B5 LTE.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    If the OP is paranoid regarding WiFi security, then the best solution is a network extender plugged into a wired Ethernet connection but you will still have LTE signal between the phone and the network extender that can be snooped and monitored if your neighbor works for the CIA. You need to choose you level of paranoia. Most folks accept WiFi with WPA2 security as “good enough”.
    But how easy or not is a LTE signal to intercept, the same which we all use with our phone out in public? I would expect a high level of security by Verizon and the carriers on that. When had that neighbor with his Wifi router labeled as such, I was using the CDMA 1x band on my 4G LTE phone for my calls which read uses military grade encryption, because the 4G LTE signal 'in my neck of the woods' was and is still weaker and not all critical incoming calls rang through, hence the need now for the network extender with the impending VZW CDMA shutdown. Paranoia or not, lived and learned from being hacked after 911 (two month mess to clean up, could have been much worse), but internet security lot less available in those days, but now using more encryption couple of layers while connected to the internet with my laptop. Yes, will use WiFi with WPA2 with a long and strong password with my 4G LTE phone at a relative's home, but they have more of a property perimeter than my apartment, and avoid using unsecured Wifi in public.

Again everyone's risk assessment with their phone security is different. Most sensitive personal information (SPI) transmit with my smartphone is a credit card number (if hacked, not a big deal to replace). Especially since the security Google/Android apps for smartphones are not there yet compared with Windows laptops. Wish there was a security encryption app for smartphones, like SpyShetler has for PCs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    But how easy or not is a LTE signal to intercept, the same which we all use with our phone out in public? I would expect a high level of security by Verizon and the carriers on that. When had that neighbor with his Wifi router labeled as such, I was using the CDMA 1x band on my 4G LTE phone for my calls which read uses military grade encryption, because the 4G LTE signal 'in my neck of the woods' was and is still weaker and not all critical incoming calls rang through, hence the need now for the network extender with the impending VZW CDMA shutdown. Paranoia or not, lived and learned from being hacked after 911 (two month mess to clean up, could have been much worse), but internet security lot less available in those days, but now using more encryption couple of layers while connected to the internet with my laptop. Yes, will use WiFi with WPA2 with a long and strong password with my 4G LTE phone at a relative's home, but they have more of a property perimeter than my apartment, and avoid using unsecured Wifi in public.

Again everyone's risk assessment with their phone security is different. Most sensitive personal information (SPI) transmit with my smartphone is a credit card number (if hacked, not a big deal to replace). Especially since the security Google/Android apps for smartphones are not there yet compared with Windows laptops. Wish there was a security encryption app for smartphones, like SpyShetler has for PCs.
    Total tinfoil hat

All of your data is going back over a public network at some point, and using WiFi calling is still making a vpn tunnel back to Verizon just as the network extender does

Also, for absolute security you should be using a Unix based system and not windows

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Yep. Verizon actually has (2) 10 MHz B5 LTE carriers deployed here around Lansing, Michigan and in the central counties where they own both CLR licenses. At some point though, they will end up refarming some of that(I'm guessing B5) to 5G NR in the same manner as AT&T. T-Mobile will be deploying some of their B71 on 5G as well.

From what I've seen here, LTE is just about on par with their 3G coverage. In fringe areas where LTE drops off any signal is pretty much useless anyway from my observations. No doubt it varies depending on where you live though but they seem to be actively adding new sites.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    What did CDMA soft handoff to?

Obviously, because Verizon didn't implement it. VoLTE on ATT hands off to 3G.
    There was no workable way to handover from a VoLTE call to a CDMA 1x call. Qualcomm couldn't get SRVCC to work in tests and Verizon wasn't willing to hold up their VoLTE deployment for it. It's not a matter of the technology existing and Verizon saying 'no' -- the technology doesn't exist. The best they could offer was to encapsulate the VoLTE voice stream into an EVDO data session with "best efforts" connectivity (basically VoWifi over EVDO), and verizon understandably decided it wasn't worth it.

Sprint did hold up VoLTE waiting for SRVCC, and in the end they couldn't get it working either and are following in a pure VoLTE network with no handoffs - and they're much, much more dependent on 1x Advanced to hold their voice network together because they have very limited sub-1900mhz bandwidth.

Feedback Score
    Yep. Verizon actually has (2) 10 MHz B5 LTE carriers deployed here around Lansing, Michigan and in the central counties where they own both CLR licenses. At some point though, they will end up refarming some of that(I'm guessing B5) to 5G NR in the same manner as AT&T. T-Mobile will be deploying some of their B71 on 5G as well.

From what I've seen here, LTE is just about on par with their 3G coverage. In fringe areas where LTE drops off any signal is pretty much useless anyway from my observations. No doubt it varies depending on where you live though but they seem to be actively adding new sites.
    Personally I hope they won't deploy 5G on B5 or any other existing LTE band any time soon. The reason is currently 0% of users have a 5G capable phone, and I don't think this number will increase that much next year. At the same time their LTE definitely needs additional capacity in some places. B13 is the only thing that works inside some buildings. 10x10 B5 LTE will increase the capacity by 100% in such cases.

Feedback Score
    A) that would mean they have either no CDMA active in their area anymore or they are in an area that has both CDMA blocks

B) having some of it deployed now doesn't preclude them from using it for 5G in the future. If they were going to refarm it from 3G to 4G then they can refarm it from 4G to 5G. In a rural area like mine where none of it has been refarmed yet and it might not be necessary for 4G( we have bands 2, 4 and 13 totaling 50X50 MHz already activated and 10X10 of band 66 still yet to be )

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    A) that would mean they have either no CDMA active in their area anymore or they are in an area that has both CDMA blocks
    Not necessary. They still have 2.5x2.5 left for CDMA even where they have only one CDMA license block. It should be enough for at least 1 CDMA channel and maybe even 2 if the block is split like 10x10 + 2.5x2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    B) having some of it deployed now doesn't preclude them from using it for 5G in the future. If they were going to refarm it from 3G to 4G then they can refarm it from 4G to 5G. In a rural area like mine where none of it has been refarmed yet and it might not be necessary for 4G( we have bands 2, 4 and 13 totaling 50X50 MHz already activated and 10X10 of band 66 still yet to be )
    Nobody's saying they will never use B5 for 5G or 10G sometime in the future. I just mentioned that it doesn't seem to be in their immediate plans from what I read so far.

Feedback Score

many parts of my city still only has Verizon 3G signal, what will happen after it's

This is straight from the horses mouth

Dunne only mentioned the use of millimeter wave (mmWave) spectrum for the expanded 5G offering. However, Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg touched on plans to eventually layer in additional spectrum resources using dynamic spectrum allocation technology as it becomes available. This would most likely include mid- and low-band spectrum assets that are critical for expanding coverage.

Like other carriers, Verizon will go hard on mmW spectrum for dense urban areas only, then refarm their existing spectrum holdings for 5GNR. Also CBRS will be able to be deployed on 5G next year as well. The FCC needs to act swiftly on the C-BAND which will give the carriers plenty of mid band capacity. My guess is that’s still a few years away.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, adding those extra layers makes the most sense. You will get some people that will insist Verizon is only using mmWave for 5G because that is their plan for this 5G ISP service and the only plan they've really talked about to date but in reality all carriers are using some plan of a mixture of the bands you've mentioned. It might not be explicitly stated now but there's enough rumblings that that might be the case moving forward. At an industry event I went to last year one of the chief people at AT&T did a little presentation and mmWave was only one of the key pieces for how the industry wants to implement 5G.

More on topic, moving B5 to 5G would definitely make sense and all of the radio heads I've seen being used now for it (standalone or dual band) are NR capable.

Feedback Score

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast