Thread: Android Ad Fraud is Killing Your Battery

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score

Post Android Ad Fraud is Killing Your Battery

Name:  ad-scam.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  25.7 KB

Here's evil in action on a whole new level: BuzzFeed is reporting on a new ad fraud scheme for Android apps that may run up extra charges on your data network, but will almost certainly drain your device's battery. I don't really understand the graphic above either, so here's the scam works—using the example of "Julien", an app developer:

Julien sells a banner ad, which appears in the app and is visible to his users. Then, hidden from view behind that banner, fraudsters conceal auto-playing video ads that no human being actually sees, but which register as having been served and viewed. In this scenario, Julien gets paid for the small banner ad in his app that users see, but the fraudsters earn many times that amount by stuffing far more lucrative video ads behind the banner. Ultimately, it’s the brands whose ads were shown in hidden video players that lose money to those running the scheme.
    According to BuzzFeed, this scam streams as many as 60 million unseen video ads per month, and is a $20 billion annual business for fraudulent advertisers. This might be a good time to remind you of the existence of ad blockers. I've heard good things about AdGuard, but nothing beats AdAway if you've got root.

Links: AdAway, AdGuard, BuzzFeed
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    Blokada doesn't require Root. Ime it's not as good as AdAway. Never used NetGuard.
    Name:  blokada_icon.png
Views: 89
Size:  28.8 KB
    https://blokada.org/index.html

"Note: Blokada isn't allowed on Google Play because it interferes with Google's business model. Please contact us in case you experience any problems. If for some reason you don't want to use the recommended way, Blokada is available on app stores listed below. Pick the one that suits you the most!"

"Blokada is an open source project, which means you can be sure it's always going to be free, safe to use, and without any hidden agenda. We believe this is the only right way to develop an ad blocker you can trust."

Last time I used Blokada it tunneled through a VPN service. So if you were using a VPN already Blokada wouldn't work.

Last time I read about it it was highly regarded on XDA.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    The effing ad model is wrong and companies wonder why we bend over backwards to circumvent the pesky nuisances. Now it's getting worse with these scams and bots running [email protected] in the background.

Feedback Score
    All the "ad revenue" model is a bunch of bull. It's not working and all the studies that are out there about that are paid by ad companies.

At home I am using PiHole installed on a couple of Raspberry Pi boxes - to be DNS servers for the whole house.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Blokada doesn't require Root. Ime it's not as good as AdAway. Never used NetGuard.
    Name:  blokada_icon.png
Views: 89
Size:  28.8 KB
    https://blokada.org/index.html

<>

Last time I read about it it was highly regarded on XDA.
    Thank for this, I have been looking for a stable hands off replacement for Adhell 2 as I don't have the time, patience or resources to keep up with the knox key generating, app compiling, and app editing that it was taking for the current edition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    Thank for this, I have been looking for a stable hands off replacement for Adhell 2 as I don't have the time, patience or resources to keep up with the knox key generating, app compiling, and app editing that it was taking for the current edition.
    Glad I can help.

Feedback Score
    I use Adguard Pro on any of my Android phones, doesn't require root either.

This is the kind of reasons that I block ads. Plus, several years ago, I would be using a certain app and an ad would suddenly take me out of the app and bring me to the play store and show me some worthless app. AdGuard stopped all that.