Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Any reason to replace 7 year old sim

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    82
    Feedback Score
    0

    Any reason to replace 7 year old sim

    My sim is probably 7 years old or so. Been used in multiple phones. Not noticing any problems just wondering if there would be any benefit/advantage to getting a new one.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    219
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusters View Post
    My sim is probably 7 years old or so. Been used in multiple phones. Not noticing any problems just wondering if there would be any benefit/advantage to getting a new one.
    What phone is it in now??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18,014
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    My theory is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    Unless you are having trouble with the SIM or if it is no longer compatible with your current phone, no reason to replace it. If the carrier detected an issue on their end, they would contact you directly.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    82
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown View Post
    What phone is it in now??
    Currently in a S6 going to be switching to a S8 next week.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    82
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    My theory is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Does not seem to be broke

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    15
    Device(s)
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't know any cons of using old SIM. If it's working and no problems, just go on
    Best and worst brands, reviews from real customers - https://www.pissedconsumer.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,006
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    SIMs are a big unknown. How does a carrier decide that a new feature requires a new SIM, not supporting old SIMs.

    Used to be, they would get more storage, which affected older feature phones that may store contacts on the card. I've not heard in years storage being specified as a reason for the upgrade.

    Going to smaller sizes is a reason to upgrade. But now all but 1 of my phones support nano SIMs. Or the MiFi hotspot if I decide to move a SIM into that. So I use a converter for that.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,557
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    SIMs are a big unknown. How does a carrier decide that a new feature requires a new SIM, not supporting old SIMs.

    Used to be, they would get more storage, which affected older feature phones that may store contacts on the card. I've not heard in years storage being specified as a reason for the upgrade.

    Going to smaller sizes is a reason to upgrade. But now all but 1 of my phones support nano SIMs. Or the MiFi hotspot if I decide to move a SIM into that. So I use a converter for that.
    cricket wireless got a newer simcard - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...SIM-cards-quot

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,006
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    cricket wireless got a newer simcard - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...SIM-cards-quot
    Apparently it affected proxy services that apparently got changed at some point even with the old SIMs. So another question of just WHY they had to do this with a new SIM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    64
    Feedback Score
    0
    A couple years back I had an old SIM in my current phone. Service was really starting to stink on my old phone, so I got a newer one and moved the SIM. Service was not much better. Evenutally I got a new SIM and it improved 200% because the problem I did not realize was that they were rapidly moving everything to VoLTE. So the new SIM brought that into play where the old SIM had me on rapidly disappearing 3G. Even though the old SIM would use LTE for data, it would not do so for calls. So there might be an advantage to switching, you never can tell.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2015, 05:17 AM
  2. Any reason to buy a new sim for 5c?
    By Princ4ever in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM
  3. is there ANY reason to keep an old Tracfone?
    By cps6568 in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 01:31 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 10:55 AM
  5. Any reason to change from Old Nation plan?
    By Alex_de_Large in forum AT&T
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks