Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where should I go now that my free year of Sprint is over? Mint? Any suggestions?

Feedback Score

Where should I go now that my free year of Sprint is over? Mint? Any suggestions?

My free year of Sprint has been great, but it's coming to an end.

Suggestions on where I should go now? Great deals?

I'm averaging less than 500 min talk; 1000 text; 1.5gb data. All of the major carriers work fine in my area.

Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    what phone do you have
    and is it unlocked ??

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by achoo View Post

I'm averaging less than 500 min talk; 1000 text; 1.5gb data. All of the major carriers work fine in my area.

Thanks!!!
    You may average less than 500 minutes, but do you ever need to go over? If so, then suggestions for plans with 500 minutes wouldn't work well
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    Tello/Sprint. $19.00 for UT&T with 2gb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    what phone do you have
    and is it unlocked ??
    Pixel 2. Unlocked.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Red pocket eBay promo. Combine it with a coupon / ebay bucks sale it's been down as low as $15/mo for unlimited talk/text/data. 5gb @ lte speeds. AT&T network.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    We have one line on Mint mobile, since about 2 years. My son says it is fine, no complaints. It is of course a T-mobile MVNO and you get their best price when you prepay for a full year. We are in the Maryland suburbs of DC.

I have Google Fi, which has many bells and whistles, but is less cheap. It is of course great. In an emergency situation one month ago, my son's Mint had no signal, but Fi connected via Sprint. Fi works equally across T-mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular, plus WiFi.

I'm not knocking Mint at all. I was on Ultra for a time, Mint's sister service, and it was great. But Fi is fun too.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Lifeline program and FreedomPop annual plan

Do not overlook Lifeline program especially Californians at https://www.californialifeline.com/en/provider_search I noted SafeLink Wireless (by TracFone Wireless, Inc.) at https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...html#!/newHome offers the best options especially for Californians: First three months 3 GB LTE, thereafter 2 GB LTE if you bring your own phone, and they have different carriers to work with your carrier specific phone. If you want their phone which is absolutely low-end smartphone with as little as 16 GB storage space often with more than 65% of it already have been occupied by preinstalled apps and operating system that cannot be removed by user, you get 2 GB LTE from first month. All these for free of charge with unlimited talk and text. However, each household can only get one for free.

California Lifeline program has minimal requirement as below:

There are two ways to qualify for the California LifeLine Program. You may qualify for California LifeLine via Program-Based OR Income-Based. Documentation of proof of eligibility is required. Submit COPIES of proof of eligibility with the completed and signed application. Make sure that your signature is very clear and legible.

1) Program-Based Qualification Method:
    You can qualify for California LifeLine if you or another person in your household is enrolled in any one of these qualifying public assistance programs:

Medicaid/Medi-Cal
    Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
    CalFresh, Food Stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
    Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
    National School Lunch Program (NSL)
    Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
    1. California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
    2. Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKs)
    3. Welfare-to-Work (WTW)
    4. Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)

Tribal TANF
    Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
    Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
    Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
    Federal Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit Program

2) Income-Based Qualification Method:
    You can qualify for California LifeLine if your household's total annual gross income is at or less than these annual income limits:
    LifeLine Income Guidelines effective June 1, 2018 to May 31, 2019
    Household Size Annual Income Limit
    1-2 $27,000
    3 $31,300
    4 $38,100
    Each Additional Member $6,800

If you do not qualify for lifeline program, I would consider FreedomPop anually prepaid $149.99 AT&T 5GB LTE/month with unlimited talk and text at https://shop.freedompop.com/product/...IM-DOTRIVDKT06
    Last edited by hoktrillian; 03-18-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Feedback Score
    FreedomPop works for a lot of people. Just keep in mind that they have issues with randomly disconnecting service until you contact them due to "unusual activity", and their voice service is VOIP.

If you need your phone for business or you need to be able to rely on the service for urgent calls, stay away.

On the other hand it's the cheapest way to get ATT data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm on Mint. I really like it. I notice slow data speeds in some areas that I didn't encounter on TMobile prepaid. Also I can't get my visual voicemail to work. But otherwise my data is not throttled, call quality is excellent, texts aren't delayed, and their online bill pay is really clean.

Their 3GB plan is $180 annually, which breaks down to $15 a month. I think that's the cheapest non-VOIP service available, but please someone fact-check that.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by achoo View Post

Thanks!!!
    For Mint, which is on TMO, you should get a more recent phone that has Bands 71 and 12, or the coverage will be more "legacy" and overall poor.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you use google voice and/or have another family member, you could probably start up another line of service under their credit info.

Feedback Score
    If you don't want to deal with Mint's price increase after their introductory offer, Simple Mobile has a 3GB Unl talk/text plan for $20 a month with auto refill.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Concerning the price for Mint, I just paid 1 year on the $15 per month plan. 12 months X $15 = $180. The total charge to a credit card was $192.79 . If they applied only tax for our state, Maryland, it would be a little less. So maybe they did not add state sales tax, but added something else such as 911 charge.

In any case, that's the the total charge for a year's service including 3 GB of data each month, $192.79.

Feedback Score
    Maybe check out Xfinity Mobile? Free 100 MB of shared data, free unlimited talk/text & free Comcast unlimited WiFi hotspot internet.

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : “Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.” Leo Buscaglia : “With God, all things are POSSIBLE.” Mark 10:27

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast