Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: How much will 5G service cost with Verizon

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    374
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Verizon doesn't have 150 million customers. It has 150 million devices. It has about 91 million postpaid retail phone lines of which 84 million are smartphones.


    Not everywhere is going to get 5G over mmwave and it's not necessary to put it everywhere. You don't need mmwave in an area that has less than 100 people per sqaure mile. Heck t-mobile is doing 5G over 600 MHz. No reason why Verizon couldn't do 5G over 850 instead of using it for 4G. Also Verizon will eventually have access to CBRS and C-Band spectrum which is sub-6 GHz
    I didn't know this (84M smartphones). Do you know how this is comarable to AT&T?

    Thanks
    AT&T: 2009 to Present
    Sprint: 2000 to 2009

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    903
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HPLouis View Post
    I didn't know this (84M smartphones). Do you know how this is comarable to AT&T?

    Thanks
    Nope. I don't really keep up on at&t quarterly reports. Also at&t has lots of prepaid phones to factor in where as Verizon's prepaid business is so small( and growing smaller ) it doesn't really matter.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    903
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HPLouis View Post
    Is it $10 more for the 5G or is the $10 additional for that add on device to the Motorola phone? I've been reading up on Reddit and it seems like the additional $10 is for the add-on. From what I read, it has its own IMEI and phone number, like a wearable.
    who is to say the other 5G phones don't have a similar thing. Even at $10 what people are missing is that any data that is used while on 5G is truly unlimited no deprioritization no video throttle no hotspot limits. Even on Go plans. That's not worth $10 assuming you have access to 5G quite a bit? Probably within a few years there will be just one plan.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,073
    Feedback Score
    0
    Unless you are on an unlimited plan, 5G makes no economical sense for clients. Who cares if you DL a file with 100 or 1000 Mbps? It's still much more than needed for a single phone video streaming or anything similar. Only when you use it as hotspot instead of land internet, with some 10 devices attached, it becomes relevant. But then, the data will be gobbled up really fast, so unless you are on unlimited...
    For example even a 45GB allowance, at 100Mbps will "last" only one hour.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,961
    Feedback Score
    0
    The rate increase for 5G will be based on how long you've been with Verizon. If you've been with Verizon more than 10 years, they will pay you $5 per month to switch to 5G. Over 5 years, no charge at all. Two years, $20 per month, etc. Loyalty counts.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DC area
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HPLouis View Post
    Is it $10 more for the 5G or is the $10 additional for that add on device to the Motorola phone? I've been reading up on Reddit and it seems like the additional $10 is for the add-on. From what I read, it has its own IMEI and phone number, like a wearable.
    The normal cost of the Motorola 5G mod is $350. But right now Verizon is offering a special of only $50 for the pre-order of Motorola 5G mod.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    314
    Feedback Score
    0
    Interesting but I wonder if there is actually any truth to it ? Seems like it very often works the opposite, new subscribers often qualify for better deals than old subscribers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    The rate increase for 5G will be based on how long you've been with Verizon. If you've been with Verizon more than 10 years, they will pay you $5 per month to switch to 5G. Over 5 years, no charge at all. Two years, $20 per month, etc. Loyalty counts.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    917
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    $10 a month more, posted real recently four days ago https://abc22now.com/news/nation-wor...tra-10-a-month

    Even if 80% of Verizon's almost 150 million customer's sign up for it eventually, that's $1.2 billion a month or $14.4 billion a year. Its going to be expensive and labor intensive to place 5G cells with range of no more than 2000 feet each per this article https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2019/...ns-for-tysons/
    I wonder if Verizon will have a way to disable 5G on their devices if customers do not want to pay the extra $10.00 a month?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    749
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I wonder if Verizon will have a way to disable 5G on their devices if customers do not want to pay the extra $10.00 a month?
    Wouldn’t need to be done on the device. Just create a whitelist of device IMEIs that are allowed to connect to 5G, and bump the rest to 4G.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    903
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Wouldn’t need to be done on the device. Just create a whitelist of device IMEIs that are allowed to connect to 5G, and bump the rest to 4G.
    I'm pretty sure they mean say you for some reason by a Samsung 10 5G but don't want to pay for 5G service. Though I don't know why someone would buy a phone with 5G capabilities then won't want to use 5G on it.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,155
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    The real point is Verizon is going to rip off their cell phone customers by charging $10 more a month for 5G service.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 03-19-2019 at 06:03 PM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,008
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    don't forget, when sprint came out with WiMAX, they were ripping off $10.00 for every smartphone activated

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    230
    Carrier(s)
    verzion
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am glad i am not with either or those carriers and they reason why I say that is because that both have horrible service


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,124
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sounds like an early adopter penalty to me. I have not seen anything about early 5G deployments and 5G handsets that would make their use any better than LTE in any meaningful way except bragging rights. It will take years until 5G starts to replace LTE and become a significant advantage.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,155
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Sounds like an early adopter penalty to me. I have not seen anything about early 5G deployments and 5G handsets that would make their use any better than LTE in any meaningful way except bragging rights. It will take years until 5G starts to replace LTE and become a significant advantage.
    It will make a difference when Verizon starts putting 5G on their Sub-3Ghz Spectrum. Like when their customers have access to 5G signals but weak or no 4G signals since the spectrum bands was moved to 5G to make a extra $10 a month. If all 5G is on mmWave it won’t be a major problem. Unless it is mmWave on small cells inside building, stadium or major outdoor concerts.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 03-19-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
  2. How much will these downloads cost me?
    By Scriptar in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. So How Much Will The V400 Cost?
    By LefttyGtr in forum AT&T
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 01:08 AM
  4. How much will 3g data cost?
    By jeffharris in forum Sprint
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2002, 11:30 AM
  5. How much will the i95cl cost?
    By BoYRaCeR in forum Motorola
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2002, 09:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks