Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Casual Poll, Have You Heard About the Year End VZW CDMA Shutdown?

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Casual Poll, Have You Heard About the Year End VZW CDMA Shutdown?

Unless by chance you read about it for the first time today here on Howard Forums, had you heard before of the older Verizon Wireless CDMA network shutdown around year end 2019 https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ ?

As a side note, not a Verizon employee, only a VZW customer, but myself and other HoFoers are concerned about whether Verizon is communicating this critical issue well so far or not? There is also a separate recent HoFo post about this will be affecting 911 service on some older VZW phones.

Answer Choices - Yes, No

If Yes, how and around when did you *first* hear about it?

* Date, approximate month and year?

* On internet - Which website, including forums, newspapers, or blogs?

* On TV or radio, which station?

* From someone you know: relative, friend, coworker, neighbor, etc. and how did they let you know: phone call, email, text, Facebook posting, or other (specify)?

* From Verizon Wireless directly and how: text, email, online chat, in your bill, talking with a Verizon Wireless tech support person while on a call with them, a Verizon or Verizon Wireless store employee, Verizon postal mailing, or other (specify)?

* Other - Billboard or flyer along the highway or business (which one, name, not address), hard copy newspaper or magazine (which one), something you received in postal mail, or other (specify)?

-----------------

So for starters, for myself, Yes; January, 2019; https://www.fiercewireless.com/ and other like tech websites, then after confirmed with Verizon Wireless phone tech support.

Feedback Score
    Yes; I heard about it about 2-3 years ago probably from dslreports, reddit or maybe it was here? It's been a while back.

Verizon hasn't sent out any notification to customers that i'm aware of.

I assume support will mention it at this point as they can't activate 1x-3G voice devices anymore and they stopped selling those devices a few months prior to that.

However their wireless home phone device users category is still pretty SOL. From the reviews on their own website the VoLTE versions aren't as reliable as the 1X versions and the VoLTE versions do not support caller name ID for some unknown reason.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    I've known about it for awhile. I let another Verizon customer (who had last year finally upgraded to a smartphone) know about it. Neither he or his sister had heard, and his sister will have to upgrade phone for this. Though likely to anyway since her iPhone 5s is getting old.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Yes first time 2012

Feedback Score
    I only found out about it about 6 months ago when coming into the forums to check on something else about my 3G phone. Been doing allot of learning on the various forums/threads ever since. NONE of my friends or family knew about it before I then informed them. And this includes people that are direct Verizon customers and not Vzw/mvno. Verizon spends big bucks for their TV commercials to sell the latest and greatest. You'd think they could spend 5 seconds of that time to make this notification on their commercials. Isn't there anyone in these forums that works at some level at Verizon to rattle the can?

Feedback Score
    First read about the supposed shutdown on this forum sometime last year, retired my basic flip phone in January 2019 and got my first smartphone, it’s a refurbished iPhone 7 Plus ,it’s working fine but I sure miss the simplicity of the old flip phone. Maybe I’m the only one that believes the old basic flip phones will keep working a pretty long time past the end of 2019 ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    Maybe I’m the only one that believes the old basic flip phones will keep working a pretty long time past the end of 2019 ?
    You'd be very wrong. What part of "shutdown" confuses you? If phones still worked it wouldn't be a shutdown. That spectrum is better served for 4G than CDMA

Feedback Score
    Heard hear and nowhere else.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well I heard about it years ago, I'm guessing it'll happen unless they postponed it for some reason. I have a prepaid phone on a separate line that will be affected.But I should be able to switch that with no problem as I have a used iPhone that should be acceptable.

Feedback Score
    First mention of shut down Oct 2012 https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...tworks-by-2021

Official sunset date set July 2016 https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rk-by-end-2019

Verizon confirms it stopped activating CDMA only phones Jul 2018 https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/17/...ing-3g-phones/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I only found out about it about 6 months ago when coming into the forums to check on something else about my 3G phone. Been doing allot of learning on the various forums/threads ever since. NONE of my friends or family knew about it before I then informed them. And this includes people that are direct Verizon customers and not Vzw/mvno. Verizon spends big bucks for their TV commercials to sell the latest and greatest. You'd think they could spend 5 seconds of that time to make this notification on their commercials. Isn't there anyone in these forums that works at some level at Verizon to rattle the can?
    Like you, I happened across this news in the last months looking up something else on the internet about my phone. And I come to HoFo forums only periodically, but more recently more so. Also like you, except for one contact who works for a major company using VZW CDMA, none of others I know and relatives knew anything about it Agree with you about using a small part of the commercials to make the notification.

Just wondering how many who do not visit Howard Forums or any tech forum even know about this shutdown, especially any whose tech devices are reliable and have other priorities and interests in life i.e. family, other work, etc. and who do not deep dive into technology until they have a big problem with one of their devices? Or will simply ask a friend or someone they know when even a simple tech problem comes up, and that person is too clueless about the shutdown.

And some in the know, whether work for Verizon or not, will just assume *everyone* knows about this shutdown which is not reality.

And reaching out to contacts, as Verizon's communication about the shutdown is not yet nationwide effective, you can input any area code and exchange here https://www.telcodata.us/search-area...xchange-detail and it will tell you what carrier the phone is. It of course does not work, if the person or your contact has ported their number to another carrier.
    Last edited by spurkcell; 03-19-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    Like you, I happened across this news in the last months looking up something else on the internet about my phone. And I come to HoFo forums only periodically, but more recently more so. Also like you, except for one contact who works for a major company using VZW CDMA, none of others I know and relatives knew anything about it Agree with you about using a small part of the commercials to make the notification.

Just wondering how many who do not visit Howard Forums or any tech forum even know about this shutdown, especially any whose tech devices are reliable and have other priorities and interests in life i.e. family, other work, etc. and who do not deep dive into technology until they have a big problem with one of their devices? Or will simply ask a friend or someone they know when even a simple tech problem comes up, and that person is too clueless about the shutdown.

And some in the know, whether work for Verizon or not, will just assume *everyone* knows about this shutdown which is not reality.

And reaching out to contacts, as Verizon's communication about the shutdown is not yet nationwide effective, you can input any area code and exchange here https://www.telcodata.us/search-area...xchange-detail and it will tell you what carrier the phone is. It of course does not work, if the person or your contact has ported their number to another carrier.
    As soon as Verizon makes an announcement( though technically they have already ) it'll be all over every news source. Last year when they stopped activating 3G phones it was on even the local news.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    As soon as Verizon makes an announcement( though technically they have already ) it'll be all over every news source. Last year when they stopped activating 3G phones it was on even the local news.
    As far as being on the local news last year, in some areas, yes, if they not have greater news to report. In other areas like mine near a major government center, politics can be 2/3 of the newscast with tech news maybe getting a minute or two airtime near the end, and does anyone have the time or attention span to listen to an hour of live local TV news, especially when it is so much stuff you do not really need to know, such as this or that politician is involved in such or such scandal. As time gets closer to year end, do agree and hope as you say that the TV news channels will put this story earlier during the hourly broadcast, even in TV markets where politics is the biggest news.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I read about it on fiercewireless.com in 2016.

Feedback Score
    Yes I heard about several years ago here on Howard Forums.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast