Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Casual Poll, Have You Heard About the Year End VZW CDMA Shutdown?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Exactly. Verizon is making huge mistake not making people get off before Jan 1st 2020. You're enviably going to have people that are going to have terrible or no service in some areas. Are they so cheap as to not want to offer them like $50 off a 4G flip phone?
    They are definitely targeting offers towards people with 3g devices and will continue to do so.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One Verizon MVNO reseller is being proactive, honest, upfront, and explains it well about the CDMA shutdown. Its one I switched my service to two weeks ago, which not for everyone, it serves mine and others needs well. Prominently on their support page that appeared this past week https://www.charitymobile.com/support.html EXISTING CUSTOMERS PLEASE READ: Is my phone's network being decommissioned? which leads to link https://www.charitymobile.com/suppor...missioned.html - paraphrasing:

'The network (Verizon Wireless) used by older Charity Mobile 3G and 4G/LTE phones with no support for HD Voice technology is gradually being decommissioned in 2019. Once this network has been fully decommissioned, these older phones will no longer function properly. What does this mean for me? - If you have already upgraded to a 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support, you do not need to do anything else. However, if you are still using an older 3G or 4G/LTE phone with no HD Voice support, you will need to upgrade to a new 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support before the end of 2019. All phones (Verizon Wireless) currently offered by us support HD Voice. To place your order for a new 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support, or for more information, call us toll-free at 1-877-474-3662, or e-mail us at [email protected]. Which phone models are affected? - A list of older Charity Mobile 3G and 4G/LTE phones with no support for HD Voice can be found below (see URL/weblink above for details). If you are still using one of these phones, you will need to upgrade to a new 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support before the end of 2019. Older "bring your own" devices may also be affected. To determine if your "bring your own" device is affected, or if you do not see your phone listed below (see URL/weblink above), please call us toll-free at 1-877-474-3662, or e-mail us at [email protected].
    My note added - You can also check at https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php

This may be a great source https://www.charitymobile.com/phones.html if you cannot get a replacement Verizon Wireless 4G LTE flip phone (they sell three) or smartphone (15 currently listed) if Verizon Wireless and other local stores and online run out of inventory toward year end 2019. Of course, you have to sign up for service with them to get their phones, which they do a credit check on you before they will ship any phones to you and https://www.charitymobile.com/terms.html (Note Section 1 - Failure to Activate). Great customer service, better prices and lower monthly cost for many than Verizon Wireless directly, more discussion here in this Hofo thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...less-Providers

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what exactly is the Verizon version of 3G? At least in the distant past, 3G on CDMA-based networks like Verizon referred to EV-DO, which is data only... no voice calls (unlike WCDMA on GSM-based networks, which does support voice), and 2G CDMA referred to something like 1xRTT, which supports voice and low-speed data. But in the current discussion, people are talking about 3G voice calls, and when it will be shut down on Verizon, so they clearly are not talking about EV-DO. So is 3G in the current context referring a particular dialect of CDMA? Where does EV-DO fit into this picture?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what exactly is the Verizon version of 3G? At least in the distant past, 3G on CDMA-based networks like Verizon referred to EV-DO, which is data only... no voice calls (unlike WCDMA on GSM-based networks, which does support voice), and 2G CDMA referred to something like 1xRTT, which supports voice and low-speed data. But in the current discussion, people are talking about 3G voice calls, and when it will be shut down on Verizon, so they clearly are not talking about EV-DO. So is 3G in the current context referring a particular dialect of CDMA? Where does EV-DO fit into this picture?
    Some people seem to believe that voice also goes 3G. But in current CDMA based systems, 3G might be used for data when LTE isn't available, but voice is still 2G.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Verizon is shutting down 1X which what they use for voice. this is typically on 850 MHz or CDMA bands 0 and 1 and LTE it's called band 5. In some area they do not have any 850 MHz so I'm not sure what they use PCS perhaps. PCS is what they use for 3G which is also being shut down and that is LTE band 2.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, Verizon uses 2 CDMA technologies - 1xRTT and EV-DO. 1xRTT can be used for voice and very slow data (up to 153 kbit/s) and EV-DO is data only. There's no argument that EV-DO is 3G, but with 1xRTT it's not that simple. Technically it's also 3G because it belongs to CDMA2000, which is a family of 3G mobile technology standards. But many call it 2G due to its low speed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As posted elsewhere, if you are unsure whether your phone, this includes both older flip phones and older smartphones, is affected by this,

Use this website https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php to check nearly all cell phones, including older discontinued ones. Works for 98%+ phones out there which are listed in their database. On this web page/URL:

- First click the Show All Options link near the top.
    - Then select Verizon Wireless as Carrier and select option of Required.
    - If known, your phone's Manufacturer i.e. Apple/iPhone, LG, Samsung, etc. and select option of Required.
    - and toward the bottom of the web page, find HD Voice and select option of Required.
    - You may need to select additional filters, depending on your phone's manufacturer and type, to limit the search results to 20 or less which is the maximum that can be displayed.

If you already know your phone manufacturer and model, you can simply type it in the search box on the left side of the page https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php , which when the search result come up, if in your phone's specs further down that page HD Voice is listed with Yes, then your phone does NOT need to be replaced; which otherwise you WILL need to replace it before the year end CDMA shutdown (see added info and exceptions following). Step by step instructions above assuming many people do not always know the manufacturer and model of their phones. If you cannot find the model of your phone by looking at its exterior, software Settings, or inside the battery or SIM/SD card compartments, or your user manual either paper or online, then hopefully us HoFoers can help you.

Additionally, it has been my recent experience (have a dual band phone on older 1x CDMA and newer 4G LTE with HD Voice) and others experience (some already reporting spotty or poor quality CDMA call reception in some places nationwide) that Verizon Wireless is ALREADY moving radio channels from CDMA to 4G LTE recently and over the next months, you may find CDMA work working better *before/now*, but find 4G LTE working better *now/in next month(s)* depending on the cell towers in your area. Before VZW CDMA worked better in my neighborhood, but now 4G LTE with HD Voice works better for calls both incoming or outgoing as well as data. Its not some magical wand that all of a sudden that your cell reception changes at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve 2019, as Verizon techs have to adjust each cell tower individually, and some cell towers will stay up longer up to couple of years with perhaps fewer CDMA radio call channels if they serve corporate/government users or first responders (police, fire, rescue) if in a locality where they have not updated their CDMA cell phone technology.

Do note if you have a weak cell signal with 4G LTE, 1 bar or less (around 110 dBm or higher, 140 dBm is max with no signal), that will be challenging with both calls and data sharing the same 4G signal, as you will end missing some incoming calls which require a stronger cell signal than outgoing calls, texting, or data. If you are in such a situation and you are a Verizon Wireless direct customer, call 1-800-922-0204 and ask to speak with technical support, 2nd level is better, where if needed (they do some basic phone checking to make sure its not just your phone), they will then open a NRB (Network Radio Broadcast) ticket which is sent to the 3rd level engineers who will come to your neighborhood outdoors, which usually takes 3-5 business days and they keep you updated by text messages.

But better sooner to replace your phone if needed before the holidays/Christmas, especially flip phones, store inventories may be lower then because of 4Q19 gift buying, and some places expect to run out of some phone models.

Official notices I have found so far
    * https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ - buried in support section of website, has good instructions though for checking for and setting HD Voice on your phone
    * https://www.charitymobile.com/suppor...missioned.html - prominently displayed on support section, explains it well, posted in last two weeks
    * 2G Migration Eligibility, https://www.tracfonephoneexchange.co...brand=TRACFONE - prominently displayed in help section of website, has MEI checker, not sure whether works for only Tracfone customers or anyone, but not totally clear when it says only for 2G.

Has anyone seen any other official notices posted at Verizon Wireless reseller websites or any other official notification from Verizon Wireless directly either at MyVerzion website or app, text message, email, postal mail, bill notices, etc.?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As best I could find, EVDO runs as an extension to CDMA2000. I don't know if Verizon is going to leave EVDO running after the end of the year, but I'm not counting on it.

My read of the situation is that they want to get rid of all that CDMA infrastructure.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    As best I could find, EVDO runs as an extension to CDMA2000. I don't know if Verizon is going to leave EVDO running after the end of the year, but I'm not counting on it.

My read of the situation is that they want to get rid of all that CDMA infrastructure.
    Any newer towers in the last few years don't have any. Any CDMA equipment that went bad was not replaced. So it's been well on it's way to being gone anyway.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Any newer towers in the last few years don't have any. Any CDMA equipment that went bad was not replaced. So it's been well on it's way to being gone anyway.
    Sounds right to me. As a student of human nature, I predict that clutching at straws and whistling through the graveyard will continue, followed by denial when CDMA is dead on 1/1/2020.

Anyone want to predict the over/under on when the consumer press will hype the story of the evil Verizon taking away grandma's phone service? My guess is about three weeks before the end of the year.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sounds right to me. As a student of human nature, I predict that clutching at straws and whistling through the graveyard will continue, followed by denial when CDMA is dead on 1/1/2020.

Anyone want to predict the over/under on when the consumer press will hype the story of the evil Verizon taking away grandma's phone service? My guess is about three weeks before the end of the year.
    Yep even though Verizon has been selling LTE basic phones since mid 2017. And have been selling LTE basic phones exclusively since Feb 2018.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I have alerted the local news media in my metro area, the city paper and one of the suburban ones; however, in my area, sadly, relevant to our lives or not, politics trump over nearly all other news. Agreeing with you about three weeks before the end of year, or wait right after Christmas, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and the major news outlets, announce 'the sky is falling.'

Otherwise, best we can do as individuals for now, let our less techy loved or liked ones know, whether a relative, a neighbor, coworker, classmate, our service providers (doctor, repairman, etc.) so they can let their customers or those who they come in contact with know, either in person, over the phone, email, through Twitter, etc. social media, text messaging/chat, etc. If too many people find out 'last minute', with Verizon and electronics stores people have already made their purchases for Christmas or the holidays, store inventories will be low, and add to that, how many? seeking out replacement phones, some store inventories of some phones expect will be depleted, though for 'grandma' who may or may not shop online, that may be challenge getting a replacement phone. Some folks on vacation the last couple of weeks of December not staying in tune with major news broadcasts, will sadly find out the hard way early next year, getting stranded in a winter snowstorm on the road with a non working phone. Then the media will have more 'fun' if peoples lives are at stake.

The time of year on this shutdown is bad.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    I have alerted the local news media in my metro area, the city paper and one of the suburban ones; however, in my area, sadly, relevant to our lives or not, politics trump over nearly all other news. Agreeing with you about three weeks before the end of year, or wait right after Christmas, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and the major news outlets, announce 'the sky is falling.'

Otherwise, best we can do as individuals for now, let our less techy loved or liked ones know, whether a relative, a neighbor, coworker, classmate, our service providers (doctor, repairman, etc.) so they can let their customers or those who they come in contact with know, either in person, over the phone, email, through Twitter, etc. social media, text messaging/chat, etc. If too many people find out 'last minute', with Verizon and electronics stores people have already made their purchases for Christmas or the holidays, store inventories will be low, and add to that, how many? seeking out replacement phones, some store inventories of some phones expect will be depleted, though for 'grandma' who may or may not shop online, that may be challenge getting a replacement phone. Some folks on vacation the last couple of weeks of December not staying in tune with major news broadcasts, will sadly find out the hard way early next year, getting stranded in a winter snowstorm on the road with a non working phone. Then the media will have more 'fun' if peoples lives are at stake.

The time of year on this shutdown is bad.
    You know very few people even have 3G only devices

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You know very few people even have 3G only devices
    Its more than you think, unless you do not know many senior citizens. And how many of these people have 3G only devices? - https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...ulation-000531 Personally I have already *so far* helped three people over age 65 on my email contact list of a few dozen to replace their older devices to 4G LTE phones. I have read elsewhere online quite a number of stories of people or in other tech forums with only older car glove compartment flip phones which they only use for calling and some of those maybe for a text message here and there. Some of us here at HoFo may put on blinders that everyone has the smartphones with many of the latest and greatest features, which reality there is a segment of the population who does not, which some of them do not connect or post on the internet. How many, its anybody's exact guess, but definitely more than a very few.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    Its more than you think, unless you do not know many senior citizens.
    Well since I'm 50 myself do my parents, aunts, uncles, some cousins, parents of friends etc etc count?

And how many of these people have 3G only devices? - https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...ulation-000531 Personally I have already *so far* helped three people over age 65 on my email contact list of a few dozen to replace their older devices to 4G LTE phones. I have read elsewhere online quite a number of stories of people or in other tech forums with only older car glove compartment flip phones which they only use for calling and some of those maybe for a text message here and there. Some of us here at HoFo may put on blinders that everyone has the smartphones with many of the latest and greatest features, which reality there is a segment of the population who does not, which some of them do not connect or post on the internet. How many, its anybody's exact guess, but definitely more than a very few.
    I go by Verizon's numbers that can be found in quarterly reports which last time I checked were legally binding to be accurate. And a percentage of their total phone base 3G only devices are in the single digits and that number shrink each quarter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast