Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Casual Poll, Have You Heard About the Year End VZW CDMA Shutdown?

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So does this mean my Motorola Star-tac is no good anymore
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    So does this mean my Motorola Star-tac is no good anymore
    Only after 12/31/2019.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    3g will not be shut down now until 2023 and no one not moved off by the end of the year will lose service. That's the latest.
    That would be big news. Do you have a source for that?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I knew I would be doubted as always. I was kind of shocked I haven't seem more information about this posted.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Size:  22.6 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I knew I would be doubted as always. I was kind of shocked I haven't seem more information about this posted.
    Sorry, I did not know your history.

So, has Vz decided that the network is not ready to shutdown CDMA voice? Too many old, remote, cells not ready for VoLTE?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm honestly not sure. I think more than anything it has to do with what we've already seen posted. The companies that have contracts in place and needs for keep using the older network. I'm assuming they are keeping a small chunk active until 2023 for those needs and if it's still here that means any phone still active will keep working too. They are still actively trying to get people to move to 4g devices and aren't letting the 3g devices be activated. Plans to prevent plan changes and such to lines with 3g devices have been changed to a warning popping up in the system suggesting the customer get a new device.

I personally think this will make things a lot easier on older people. There are a decent amount of people that had still been upgraded to a 3g basic phone early last year that would still be paying on it late this year. This assures everyone will be paid off and a lot of those older devices will have been replaced by the time 2023 comes around anyway.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Of course you will be doubted when stating without proof. By the way I'm 50 I don't have bionic eyes I can't read sh-t in that pic. Post a link to a larger version

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm honestly not sure. I think more than anything it has to do with what we've already seen posted. The companies that have contracts in place and needs for keep using the older network. I'm assuming they are keeping a small chunk active until 2023 for those needs and if it's still here that means any phone still active will keep working too. They are still actively trying to get people to move to 4g devices and aren't letting the 3g devices be activated. Plans to prevent plan changes and such to lines with 3g devices have been changed to a warning popping up in the system suggesting the customer get a new device.

I personally think this will make things a lot easier on older people. There are a decent amount of people that had still been upgraded to a 3g basic phone early last year that would still be paying on it late this year. This assures everyone will be paid off and a lot of those older devices will have been replaced by the time 2023 comes around anyway.
    No reason to keep it active after Dec 31 except that small slice dedicated to m2m vendors. The spectrum needs to be converted to 4G. If Verizon is truly backing away form a promise unnecessarily then then I really need to assess whether I should switch carriers until 2023 or perhaps permanently

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    No reason to keep it active after Dec 31 except that small slice dedicated to m2m vendors. The spectrum needs to be converted to 4G. If Verizon is truly backing away form a promise unnecessarily then then I really need to assess whether I should switch carriers until 2023 or perhaps permanently
    Nothing has said more than a small slice will stay active. I've also never seen Verizon say that's all that would be active. Hasn't that just been speculation? But if that slice is active it would seem logical that anything 3g that's still out there could connect to it. They probably aren't concerned by the small amount of devices that will be left. If it's going to be active might as well let those slow movers use it instead of upsetting them.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Of course you will be doubted when stating without proof. By the way I'm 50 I don't have bionic eyes I can't read sh-t in that pic. Post a link to a larger version
    Well I don't like to get in the habit of posting anything that could be remotely considered an internal document of sorts. I'm not sure where they have or haven't publicized this information. I don't go posting things that aren't fact though. Proof isn't always easy.

By the way you should be able to click the picture and then pinch to zoom in.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That "small slice" won't be everywhere. There are already areas with limited, if any, 3G service where there use to be. Any remaining slice will get smaller and smaller while they choke it off. MVNOs may be first to go. If you want safe and reliable I'd stick with the 12/31/19 assumption for now.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    That "small slice" won't be everywhere. There are already areas with limited, if any, 3G service where there use to be. Any remaining slice will get smaller and smaller while they choke it off. MVNOs may be first to go. If you want safe and reliable I'd stick with the 12/31/19 assumption for now.
    Exactly. Verizon is making huge mistake not making people get off before Jan 1st 2020. You're enviably going to have people that are going to have terrible or no service in some areas. Are they so cheap as to not want to offer them like $50 off a 4G flip phone?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Actually it was already posted that CDMA will be completely shut down at the end of 2022 ( https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...rise-Customers ). But it's only guaranteed that it will work for some enterprise M2M devices customers by that time.

The tentative date for the end of the phone service on CDMA was the end of 2019. But even when Verizon annonced it back in 2016, they said
    Verizon (NYSE: VZ) confirmed to FierceWireless that it is currently planning to shut down its CDMA 1X network by Dec. 31, 2019. However, the carrier said it would work with its current CDMA 1X customers and would consider operating its CDMA 1X network into 2020 if those customers need more time to move onto Verizon's LTE network.

"We will not abandon a single customer," Verizon spokesman Chuck Hamby told FierceWireless. "We will work with each of the customers one-on-one."

"Should there be stragglers, we will continue to work with them," Hamby added.
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rk-by-end-2019

It looks like they decided to go ahead with that "operating its CDMA 1X network into 2020" plan, but they might've just moved the end of 2019 date for several months and will stop providing the phone service sometime in 2020. The picture that you posted only confirms the final shutdown date for CDMA, and not that non-M2M devices will be allowed to use the network until 2023.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, etc.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    It looks like they decided to go ahead with that "operating its CDMA 1X network into 2020" plan, but they might've just moved the end of 2019 date for several months and will stop providing the phone service sometime in 2020. The picture that you posted only confirms the final shutdown date for CDMA, and not that non-M2M devices will be allowed to use the network until 2023.
    He posted two pictures. It's the second one that says non-M2M devices will be allowed to use the network past the end of 2019.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry K. Nathan View Post
    He posted two pictures. It's the second one that says non-M2M devices will be allowed to use the network past the end of 2019.
    I saw both pictures. That's exactly my point. Past the end of 2019 means it will stop working for non-M2M devices at any time between the beginning of 2020 and the end of 2022. His picture doesn't clarify it, and I think even Verizon doesn't know it yet. It will probably depend on how quickly the remaining people will migrate to VoLTE compatible phones.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast