Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Casual Poll, Have You Heard About the Year End VZW CDMA Shutdown?

Feedback Score
    I might be wrong here, but when AT&T shut down GSM in January 2017, I also don't remember it being some big news. I think carriers see such things as negative publicity, so they try to be as quiet as they can about it and notify affected customers individually. But I don't think they want to notify in a year or more in advance, because they hope that many of them can upgrade on their own before it's too close to the deadline.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    I might be wrong here, but when AT&T shut down GSM in January 2017, I also don't remember it being some big news. I think carriers see such things as negative publicity, so they try to be as quiet as they can about it and notify affected customers individually. But I don't think they want to notify in a year or more in advance, because they hope that many of them can upgrade on their own before it's too close to the deadline.
    Oh it was out there in the news. The thing is it ended up being no big deal. And this will be too. News coverage will come up with the sky is falling scenarios. Verizon will be painted as some evil corp that cares about money over people's lives because so many people will die because of not being able to make calls. Then after Jan 1st everything will be just fine except a few outliers who failed to listen to the warnings about the shutdown and they'll cause a stink even though it was their own fault.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Casual Poll, Have You Heard About the Year End VZW CDMA Shutdown?

We have gone through a few technology shutdowns in wireless over the years. I realize that some people will be surprised, but the world moves on. My old analog, IS-136/TDMA, iDEN, and AT&T 2G GSM phones wouldn’t function today if I still had them. Let alone some old data devices like the RIM 950 that ran on the Mobitex network.

I can’t really remember where I heard about this. It is unremarkable though.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    I work in tv news. Have not heard a peep. Likely just a print thing at the moment until they deem it relevant. However, now that they've replaced most news vets with staff straight out of or even while still in college, it's likely not on the youth radar as important or even considered a metro issue. I'll try to pitch it to one of our anchors soon.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For now, also a better way to get the word out is word of mouth or email/social media. If say you have a good relationship with one of your doctors, repair person, other service person, or retail clerk you know, mention it too them so they can share with other Verizon Wireless customers they come in contact with. Though some who need to will replace their 3G or non HD Voice phones this spring, summer, or early fall, but others waiting last minute during the holidays may encounter problems with stores or online running out of stock on their desired models (Verizon only has five 4G flip phones). It will be worse when the other carriers do their CDMA shutdown in 2020-2022, as currently at last check, AT&T and Sprint only have one 4G flip phone (ratings not good, sometimes for wrong reasons) and T-Mobile has zero.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I probably read it on FireceWireless several years ago. In mid 2017 at my most recent job, we have access to a Business Rep and I approached him about this issue and he confirmed that Verizon Wireless was turning off its CDMA network, so I had to ask my vendor to switch out a device which ran on the CDMA network for one which supports the LTE network. I could have waited till 2019, but I decided to get a head start on it. I asked my vendor about this, but he initially told me that the manufacturer had no plans to offer LTE models but came back later to tell me that had an LTE model available.

We had another device called TempAlert which used the AT&T GSM network, but we got rid of it because of poor performance and used the LAN version before my company stopped using them altogether. I try to avoid anything connected to AT&T due to poor coverage..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Kind of poor at your job then.
    No, not really tough guy. I'm skilled at what I do. Like I said before, I read it online but didn't hear any reports on our local networks. My job is not to write or report the news. 24 year olds in large cities with the latest iPhones aren't making this a priority across the board. However, I do see the importance and will pitch it to someone. It's that simple.
    Last edited by strathmore9; 03-24-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I probably read it on FireceWireless several years ago. In mid 2017 at my most recent job, we have access to a Business Rep and I approached him about this issue and he confirmed that Verizon Wireless was turning off its CDMA network, so I had to ask my vendor to switch out a device which ran on the CDMA network for one which supports the LTE network. I could have waited till 2019, but I decided to get a head start on it. I asked my vendor about this, but he initially told me that the manufacturer had no plans to offer LTE models but came back later to tell me that had an LTE model available.

We had another device called TempAlert which used the AT&T GSM network, but we got rid of it because of poor performance and used the LAN version before my company stopped using them altogether. I try to avoid anything connected to AT&T due to poor coverage..
    Thx for the tip. I was considering AT&T. Guess I'll stay put.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    However their wireless home phone device users category is still pretty SOL. From the reviews on their own website the VoLTE versions aren't as reliable as the 1X versions and the VoLTE versions do not support caller name ID for some unknown reason.
    My parents have one and it works fine; they replaced the "home phone connect" with "home phone connect with wifi" (not due to the CDMA shutdown but because the cost was the same for voice & data as voice only...); for some reason on the account it has a device-specific addon to kick on VoLTE instead of the "HD Voice" one, but VoLTE seems to work fine with their phones and the wifi works fine. Main source of bad reviews I saw were people thinking the wifi on this was not considered tethering, then getting the rude surprise when the throttle kicked in at 15GB.

On a side note... there's a Verizon retailer here in town that STILL has a (1X...) home phone connect in stock. I wonder if these are exempt from the end of 2019 shutdown like some enterprise stuff is? I would think they wouldn't be able to activate the thing otherwise.

Device(s)
    Iphone xr
    Feedback Score
    My hubby (VZ customer) has been using a flip ph for yrs & Will not believe it will not work in 2020 - “nothing on VZ website or VZ has not informed its customers” he will look for another flip - you are not alone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal71 View Post
    My hubby (VZ customer) has been using a flip ph for yrs & Will not believe it will not work in 2020 - “nothing on VZ website or VZ has not informed its customers” he will look for another flip - you are not alone
    Verizon has been selling 4G flip phones exclusively Since Feb 2017 that 14 months and has been selling 4G flip phones in it's site for over 2 years. it has not allowed 3G only deices to be activated on it's networks for over 9 months now. Those are 2 pretty huge clues. Not t mention the fact they have announced it and it made the news.

Not on their site? right from their site

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/

Device(s)
    Iphone xr
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Jack - sent to hubby maybe he will finally change his ph but I wouldn’t count on it��

Feedback Score
    3g will not be shut down now until 2023 and no one not moved off by the end of the year will lose service. That's the latest.

Device(s)
    Iphone xr
    Feedback Score
    My hubby will be so happy - his flip ph 3g will still work

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    3g will not be shut down now until 2023 .
    wrong and come Jan 1 2020 you'll find out

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast