Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 3G emergency phones

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That is why I still pay for VOIP service since a physical address is tied to my 911 call.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I blame the states for the mess of the 911 system since they do not seem to think it is a prioirty to properly fund and upgrade the crumbling 911 PSAP infrastructure. Their is alot of upcomming and existing technolgies that would improve the ability to track and locate people who call into 911 but have not been deployed due to lack of funding.
    Agreed! Someone fix this! This shouldn’t be a problem in 2019 for goodness sakes!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Hereís another informative video.

Whatís scary is that the even the more accurate NG911 RapidSOS solution can only locate someone within around 36 meters. Thatís an issue for people living in neighborhoods with houses close together, and people in Condos and Apartments.

https://youtu.be/VnU0ni21jKU

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Great video but how do we know what carriers and counties have implemented RapidSOS and Android Emergency Location Services?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

3G emergency phones

Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Agreed! Someone fix this! This shouldnít be a problem in 2019 for goodness sakes!
    Whatever did we do for the previous 20,000 years without the authorities being able to track us down to the centimeter in real-time for our own protection?

I couldnít care less if the nanny-state knows where I am or not.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Great video but how do we know what carriers and counties have implemented RapidSOS and Android Emergency Location Services?
    We donít, thatís one of the big issues. Less than 1/4 of them nationwide have it implemented.

Another issue is that while you may be in a city that has implemented RapidSOS, thereís not guarantee the call will go to them because calls are routed based on the address of the cell site and not where you are.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Whatever did we do for the previous 20,000 years without the authorities being able to track us down to the centimeter in real-time for our own protection?
    ......Died

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    We don’t, that’s one of the big issues. Less than 1/4 of them nationwide have it implemented.

Another issue is that while you may be in a city that has implemented RapidSOS, there’s not guarantee the call will go to them because calls are routed based on the address of the cell site and not where you are.
    Agreed. There has to be a way to fix this quickly and permanently.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Agreed. There has to be a way to fix this quickly and permanently.
    The problem is their is no accountability for failures of the state to hold municipalities responsible for not deploying life saving technolgy. The public is kept in the dark about what technolgies are currently supported at your PSAP. I do not see this chnaging anytime soon. Their is still 911 call centers who are unable to recieve E911 information from VOIP callers. That is insane.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

3G emergency phones

......Died
    Lol. Wow, I bet you actually believe that, donít you?

E911 is a joke and should be abolished. Itís not the governmentís job to ensure your safety. If you think it is, youíre in the wrong country.

I tend to make sure I have my own plans when things go terribly wrong, because when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

But letís spend billions of dollars installing a tracking grid so people can have the illusion of safety, right? What a waste and make work program for unnecessary expenditures of tax dollars.

It must be nice living in lalaland.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lol. Wow, I bet you actually believe that, don’t you?

E911 is a joke and should be abolished. It’s not the government’s job to ensure your safety. If you think it is, you’re in the wrong country.

I tend to make sure I have my own plans when things go terribly wrong, because when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

But let’s spend billions of dollars installing a tracking grid so people can have the illusion of safety, right? What a waste and make work program for unnecessary expenditures of tax dollars.

It must be nice living in lalaland.

That is true what DebiLee is saying. Before the 911 system was developed you had to know the actual local phone number to your local police or fire deapartment to get help to your location. Just imagine how many people could have died due to not having that number to get police or fire to their location. 911 was a life saving change and was desgined to work well only with the ILEC telephone company providing a physical location. Since then times have changed, we have the invention of cell phones and VOIP service which do not work well with the 911 PSAP's. Their is existing technology that would drasticly imrpove tracking a cell phones location and technolgy that allows 911 operators to recieve the E911 information from the VOIP carrier. The problem is 911 systems are generally underfunded and do not have the money to revamp their entire 911 infrastrucre. I blame the states since they are not funding and providing oversight of their 911 PSAP's in their state in addition they keep the public in the dark about what capabilities their PSAP has. But in your opinion I guess 911 PSAPS should be shutdown since they are a waste of money since citizens can just write down their local police and fire department phone numbers for help.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I donít know that 911 needs to be shut down, but I wouldnít consider it anything that needs any more money spent on it.

How often do you people get into these situations where you need the mother government to come rescue you? The way people talk on here, itís like they call 911 multiple times a day?

Or is the average HoFoer the ones calling 911 because they only got 9 McNuggets instead of 10? Or the ones who call the police on their neighbors for the grass being too tall?

Iíve called 911 maybe twice in my entire life, and neither time would anyone have died if I had to call an operator and ask for the police department. Again, if one is relying on those few seconds saved by direct-dialing 911 or by not having to give your location to the dispatcher, they must really be living on the edge and lead a much more exciting life than I do.

I just donít see how this matters to the average person, itís like the TSA or homeland security. Billion dollar theatre make-work programs designed to give scared people the illusion of safety. Itís a boondoggle and a complete waste of public monies.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I donít know that 911 needs to be shut down, but I wouldnít consider it anything that needs any more money spent on it.

How often do you people get into these situations where you need the mother government to come rescue you? The way people talk on here, itís like they call 911 multiple times a day?

Or is the average HoFoer the ones calling 911 because they only got 9 McNuggets instead of 10? Or the ones who call the police on their neighbors for the grass being too tall?

Iíve called 911 maybe twice in my entire life, and neither time would anyone have died if I had to call an operator and ask for the police department. Again, if one is relying on those few seconds saved by direct-dialing 911 or by not having to give your location to the dispatcher, they must really be living on the edge and lead a much more exciting life than I do.

I just donít see how this matters to the average person, itís like the TSA or homeland security. Billion dollar theatre make-work programs designed to give scared people the illusion of safety. Itís a boondoggle and a complete waste of public monies.

I think most people would disagree with you. 911 is designed to be a number to call when you are in a life threatening or emergency situation. Considering majority of people are disconnecting their landline/VOIP for cellular service we need to be deploying on working on new technolfyes to trace a cell phones location. It is messed up that Uber and Lyft can find your physical location but 911 can't. I have had to make a 911 call on a cellular phone and I did not know where I was at and 911 could not find me. An officer did eventualy find the accident scene but imaine if you were in a rural area or went off the side of the road and nobody knew where you were at including 911. I am for paying a higher tax to modernize the 911 infrastrure.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lol. Wow, I bet you actually believe that, don’t you?

E911 is a joke and should be abolished. It’s not the government’s job to ensure your safety. If you think it is, you’re in the wrong country.

HoFo
    If you believe in what you just said you're an idiot. Guess what I pay 911 taxes on my phone bill. I pay taxes that pay for law enforcement and fire dept. So YES it IS the governments job to ensure my safety or give me all the damned tax dollars I've been paying all these years.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

3G emergency phones

Oh wow.

I couldnít imagine living my life as a dependent of the state.

911 (emergency services) is there to clean up after the fact. Itís not their job nor is it their duty to ensure your safety. In a free country, thatís your own job.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh wow.

I couldnít imagine living my life as a dependent of the state.

911 (emergency services) is there to clean up after the fact. Itís not their job nor is it their duty to ensure your safety. In a free country, thatís your own job.

You donít have to be ďdependentĒ on the state for 911 to be effective.

Iím not sure if youíre aware, but there are some thing you canít just handle by yourself .

Firefighters save COUNTLESS lives rescuing people TRAPPED in buildings or EMS stabilizing a patient and transporting them to the hospital (canít drive yourself if youíre having a heart attack.)

911 definitely has its place and thatís why itís available.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast