Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 3G emergency phones

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    There this thing on my wall with a cord and some numbers on it. Can I make a 911 call on that if I need to? There is no way Verizon, or any other cell phone provider, can or should devise a system to make sure every moron out there is coddled to the point of knowing they need to upgrade to a 4G phone. Can’t be done nor should they try to address every single scenario out there. Personal responsibility seems to be a lost art. I wonder what everyone did when catastrophes struck in the old days without cell phones. Wait a minute, I’m one of those old people and here I am. We survived somehow, it’s a miracle. I also knew that coffee was hot long before McDonald’s had to label the cups to tell me that. Wait a minute, what if someone can’t read. McDonald’s, save us.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    There this thing on my wall with a cord and some numbers on it. Can I make a 911 call on that if I need to? There is no way Verizon, or any other cell phone provider, can or should devise a system to make sure every moron out there is coddled to the point of knowing they need to upgrade to a 4G phone. Can’t be done nor should they try to address every single scenario out there. Personal responsibility seems to be a lost art. I wonder what everyone did when catastrophes struck in the old days without cell phones. Wait a minute, I’m one of those old people and here I am. We survived somehow, it’s a miracle. I also knew that coffee was hot long before McDonald’s had to label the cups to tell me that. Wait a minute, what if someone can’t read. McDonald’s, save us.
    Or whether the Department of Motor Vehicles should make accommodations for the blind on the driver's test.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoboy View Post
    From what I read the other day it's my understanding the enterprise users' signal ranges are for machine communications and such and are not the same frequency bands as cell phones. So even though they stay active they won't serve phones.

But questions like this, and what spurkcell is asking, is why VZ needs to be proactive in getting reliable information disseminated. How soon is soon enough? Who knows? Maybe Jack is right and 90 days will be sufficient, but based on my observations of human traits, I'm skeptical.
    Enterprise can be a number of things including car telematics (OnStar), M2M (alarm systems, vending machines, or large corporations with phones that run on CDMA that can’t quickly be replaced.

They all run on the same network and same frequency so any CDMA 1x phone would still be able to see the signal for emergency calls.

That said, there is no guarantee that emergency calls will go through, even on phones with active service agreements.

In fact on the customer agreement, it says there is no guarantee a 911 call will successfully complete.

If having an emergency phone is important to someone, they really need to have a landline installed with pay per use billing.

Even if you make a 911 call on a cell phone, they don’t get an immediate and accurate location like they do on a landline.

Verizon will comply with any FCC regulations and provide any legally required notices they need to.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Enterprise can be a number of things including car telematics (OnStar), M2M (alarm systems, vending machines, or large corporations with phones that run on CDMA that can’t quickly be replaced.

They all run on the same network and same frequency so any CDMA 1x phone would still be able to see the signal for emergency calls.

That said, there is no guarantee that emergency calls will go through, even on phones with active service agreements.

In fact on the customer agreement, it says there is no guarantee a 911 call will successfully complete.

If having an emergency phone is important to someone, they really need to have a landline installed with pay per use billing.

Even if you make a 911 call on a cell phone, they don’t get an immediate and accurate location like they do on a landline.

Verizon will comply with any FCC regulations and provide any legally required notices they need to.
    CDMA Onstar will not work since 1X voice is being shutdown at the end of the year. EVDO will remain up for a couple of more years for a couple of companies who use the network for m2m use.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoboy View Post
    Note that in my OP I was referring to 3g phones being kept for 911 use only. Since the users of those phones do not have an active subscription for the phone, there is no making and receiving calls or texts except for 911. Since a user is not going to frivolously make calls to 911 there will be no way for them to know a connection is not possible until they may actually need to make a 911 call. Then it will be too late to find out the phone is no longer usable.
    Agreed I was speaking more broadly about everyone who ignores the notices and warnings.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    CDMA Onstar will not work since 1X voice is being shutdown at the end of the year. EVDO will remain up for a couple of more years for a couple of companies who use the network for m2m use.

They are leaving 1x up for enterprise users. When they say 3G, they also mean 1X as that is a 3G technology as part of the CDMA2000 suite.

If anything they will shut off EVDO at the end of the year as it’s not required for M2M devices.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score

Well with all Android and iOS phones supporting this https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...tion-with-911/ and this https://crisisresponse.google/emerge.../how-it-works/ there shouldn’t be much of a problem with this anymore.
    Speaking of the FCC...
    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1080426...s%20Filed).pdf
    https://pocketnow.com/fcc-carriers-elevation-911

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Well with all Android and iOS phones supporting this https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...tion-with-911/ and this https://crisisresponse.google/emerge.../how-it-works/ there shouldn’t be much of a problem with this anymore.
    Speaking of the FCC...
    It is a problem even with this technology. 911 routing is based on the tower location not GPS. Depending on the 911 call center they may have a limited abilty to track a cellular call. Landline and VOIP are better since they have a physical location attached to them for 911 dialing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Speaking of the FCC...
    The issue is that there are 6100 PSAPs in the US and not even 1/4 of them can receive NG911 clearinghouse location info.

The vast majority can locate someone within a football fields accuracy or worse with Phase II..

There are also counties out there that can’t even receive Phase I and only get a phone number, whereas they can receive landline E911 ALI immediately..

It’s going to be a problem for quite some time I can assure you.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The issue is that there are 6100 PSAPs in the US and not even 1/4 of them can receive NG911 clearinghouse location info.

The vast majority can locate someone within a football fields accuracy or worse with Phase II..

There are also counties out there that can’t even receive Phase I and only get a phone number, whereas they can receive landline E911 ALI immediately..

It’s going to be a problem for quite some time I can assure you.
    I blame the states for the mess of the 911 system since they do not seem to think it is a prioirty to properly fund and upgrade the crumbling 911 PSAP infrastructure. Their is alot of upcomming and existing technolgies that would improve the ability to track and locate people who call into 911 but have not been deployed due to lack of funding.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Does Verizon have any indoor DAS equipment that is still broadcasting 1xRTT?

I know the other day I walked into USC Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA. and the moment I walked indoors I had full fledge EDGE everywhere with T-Mobile with a strong 2G signal even inside the elevators. Perhaps their telecom manager needs to request an upgrade?

I just wondered if Big Red has places like that too?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I blame the states for the mess of the 911 system since they do not seem to think it is a prioirty to properly fund and upgrade the crumbling 911 PSAP infrastructure. Their is alot of upcomming and existing technolgies that would improve the ability to track and locate people who call into 911 but have not been deployed due to lack of funding.
    My state charges $1.16 per line per month no matter what type of phone you have, cell phone, POTS lines VoIP line all charged the same. I would hope they have enough funding.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    My state charges $1.16 per line per month no matter what type of phone you have, cell phone, POTS lines VoIP line all charged the same. I would hope they have enough funding.
    It's not enough funding. These upgrades to bring in NG911 can cost these centers millions of dollars and can involve replacing nearly everything they have. Smaller PSAPs especially don't have enough because their funding is even more limited.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's not enough funding. These upgrades to bring in NG911 can cost these centers millions of dollars and can involve replacing nearly everything they have. Smaller PSAPs especially don't have enough because their funding is even more limited.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Here is a John Oliver YouTube video on the subject on our 911 system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XlyB_QQYs

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Here’s another informative video.

What’s scary is that the even the more accurate NG911 RapidSOS solution can only locate someone within around 36 meters. That’s an issue for people living in neighborhoods with houses close together, and people in Condos and Apartments.

https://youtu.be/VnU0ni21jKU

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast