Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WiFi calling from overseas , does it work? And show USA number

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Hi , I was in Korea yesterday and I tried to get aWiFi calling on my Prepaid phone to work.
    It works on this same Moto e5 plus in the USA.
    Nothing !
    I turned off cell data, enabled WiFi calling only but nothing ,

Anything else to try ?

I did get text from TMobile telling me how much it would cost per minute or text....
    Some countries don't allow usage of Wi-Fi calling. Including North Korea. I'm assuming you were in South Korea, where it isn't specifically blocked.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Or use Google Voice (with a Google provided US number) and foreign SIM card for data in your phone. This way you won't have to hunt for WiFi in hotels, McDonalds, etc.
    PS: Some of "Free" WiFi places block the ports needed for WiFi calling. That's why I like to have the data plans while abode.
    Not sure it will work. Google voice will only work from USA and Canada, AFAIK. You can make international calls from these two but voice will know your location & inform you that it does not work in the country you are in. Also, international texting doesn't work in google voice even from USA- you can only receive texts on the phone.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    I tried a couple , no error message , just no picture with the wifi logo and the phone over it ,
    This is why I always recommend having a backup plan: Skype-out, Google Voice, Viber, SIP, etc.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I dont think prepaid works outside of the US. You have to have the simple choice or tmobile one plan. Even for wifi calling. Dont let anyone give you false info. Im almost 99% sure it will not work. Call tmobile and speak to the international dept. They can help you.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok, so i just reached out to tmobile and I was RIGHT!
    Hello Nikos and thank you for reaching out today! Unfortunately, our prepaid plans are domestic only and wouldn’t work internationally. You can still connect to Wi-Fi and use the available internet service but calls and texts still wouldn’t work. ^OscarSalaiz

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Please do not spread false information on these boards. If you are not sure please research and post your findings.

Device(s)
    BJ II
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    WiFi calling\texting will infact work overseas with T-Mobile prepaid. I was in China and Taiwan a couple of weeks back and had no problem using WiFi calling and texting from my hotel WiFi. The cell service wouldn't work, but wifi did. I'm using a Nokia 7.1 btw. I also took an older Moto X with me and put an HK China Unicom sim in it. I could use Google voice from this phone without issue in both locations. I could also use the hotspot in the Moto X and make WiFi calls from the Nokia. I could have used the second sim spot in the Nokia, but I had an SD card full of Netflix movies in it.

On the way back, I spent 4 hours in the Tokyo airport and WiFi calling\texting worked there as well.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8704F using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Here's T-Mobile's webpage on prepaid international roaming: https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pr...tional-roaming

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Here's T-Mobile's webpage on prepaid international roaming: https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pr...tional-roaming
    Except that page doesn't cover using the Gold plan that the OP is using with wifi calling overseas.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Except that page doesn't cover using the Gold plan that the OP is using with wifi calling overseas.
    The OP not withstanding, the statement was made:

Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I dont think prepaid works outside of the US.
    I was trying to point out that this might have been a bit too broad. While I have seen enough trouble reports on prepaid roaming that I would not want to count on it, T-Mobile does, in fact, claim to support roaming for some prepaid accounts. The grandfathered type of prepaid is probably better described as PAYG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post

I was trying to point out that this might have been a bit too broad.
    Understood. Thank you for adding that point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    Not sure it will work. Google voice will only work from USA and Canada, AFAIK. You can make international calls from these two but voice will know your location & inform you that it does not work in the country you are in. Also, international texting doesn't work in google voice even from USA- you can only receive texts on the phone.
    True, but the workaround to Wi-Fi calling on Google Voice, when abroad, is to use a VPN server in the U.S..

You can receive texts to your Google Voice number in your e-mail, but you can’t send international texts from Google Voice no matter where you are. I’d be happy to pay for this capability but it’s not available.

Even though data-only foreign prepaid SIMs are often a better deal than voice+SMS+data SIMs, I pay for the latter when traveling because the locals don’t like having to make an international call to my T-Mobile or Google Voice number, and because international voice roaming on T-Mobile still costs money. The prepaid foreign SIMs are much less costly than paying extra for fast data on T-Mobile and paying for voice; callers from the U.S. call my Google Voice number and I can answer as long as I have data, either Wi-Fi or cellular. There’s also a way to forward a Google Voice call to a foreign number, but it’s not free.

Feedback Score
    Was that a data-only HK China Unicom SIM?

Feedback Score
    No need to be using other crap like google voice man just like someone here said make sure to switch on airplane mode and then WiFi wait few seconds and you should see T-Mobile WiFi displayed on your phone. If for some reason you dont move closer to the router and stay there by it. Don’t walk around the house or you may loose service.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2