Thread: WiFi calling from overseas , does it work? And show USA number

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score

WiFi calling from overseas , does it work? And show USA number

I am on an old TMO prepaid Gold plan with no data,
    Wifi calling works at my home in California.

Will it also work over WiFi overseas , and will it just use my minutes the same as if I was at home ?
    Mostly interested in calling back home ,
    But if my phone has turned WiFi on overseas could I also receive calls and only use my USA minutes ?
    Thanks for your help
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As long as you are on WiFi it doesn't matter where in the world you are, everything is like you were in the US.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes it works great.. the 5 dollar a day add on for high speed internet also nets you unlimited calls to anyone apparently not just back to u s I had to make a call from Switzerland to France and it was rated as an no charge call

Feedback Score
    It not only works overseas, but anywhere WiFi is available at modest to moderate speeds. I've made 20+ minute calls from cruise ships in the middle of the ocean. You just have to remember to switch on Airplane Mode, then WiFi on also.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Last time I checked, (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) if you call the US via WiFi while you are abroad, it's as if you were in the US. If you call an overseas number, it's as if you were in the US. Whatever your international rate is, that's what you pay. For instance, if I call Italy from the US, it's $3/min. If I call Italy while roaming an Italian carrier, it's 25˘/min. Via WiFi it's $3/min. If you're on the $15/mo international calling plan, it's free.

All incoming calls while on WiFi are charged as if you were in the US (i.e. free).

If you are on WiFi while abroad, it's best to put your phone in airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on. That way there can be no billing issues.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Or use Google Voice (with a Google provided US number) and foreign SIM card for data in your phone. This way you won't have to hunt for WiFi in hotels, McDonalds, etc.
    PS: Some of "Free" WiFi places block the ports needed for WiFi calling. That's why I like to have the data plans while abode.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Hi , thanks for the info ,

I would probably just leave it in my hotel on WiFi and use my local sim in another phone .
    One question , If I use my Go Flip TMobile phone , I can see who called or messaged.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    I am on an old TMO prepaid Gold plan with no data,
    Wifi calling works at my home in California.

Will it also work over WiFi overseas , and will it just use my minutes the same as if I was at home ?
    Mostly interested in calling back home ,
    But if my phone has turned WiFi on overseas could I also receive calls and only use my USA minutes ?
    Thanks for your help

Correct me if I am wrong but you are on prepaid so I dont think you can use your phone abroad... even on wifi. You need to be on a monthly plan. I would check with TMO and get it in writing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but you are on prepaid so I dont think you can use your phone abroad... even on wifi. You need to be on a monthly plan. I would check with TMO and get it in writing.
    Since wifi works on prepaid, as someone previously said, it will work on Wifi abroad. But it won't roam on cellular networks abroad when on prepaid. I think that's the difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Last time I checked, (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) if you call the US via WiFi while you are abroad, it's as if you were in the US. If you call an overseas number, it's as if you were in the US. Whatever your international rate is, that's what you pay. For instance, if I call Italy from the US, it's $3/min. If I call Italy while roaming an Italian carrier, it's 25˘/min. Via WiFi it's $3/min. If you're on the $15/mo international calling plan, it's free.

All incoming calls while on WiFi are charged as if you were in the US (i.e. free).

If you are on WiFi while abroad, it's best to put your phone in airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on. That way there can be no billing issues.
    This is all good info and accurate from my experience. Allow me to add that with the $5 International Pass, if you are in Italy and call Italy, or any other included roaming country, there is no charge for calling on cellular. Texting anywhere in the world is free also.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Can you do the $5 a day on prepaid ?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Can you do the $5 a day on prepaid ?
    I was surprised that Verizon Prepaid offers an international travel plan. I don't think any of the others do except for Canada/Mexico.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Hi , I was in Korea yesterday and I tried to get aWiFi calling on my Prepaid phone to work.
    It works on this same Moto e5 plus in the USA.
    Nothing !
    I turned off cell data, enabled WiFi calling only but nothing ,

Anything else to try ?

I did get text from TMobile telling me how much it would cost per minute or text....

Feedback Score
    Hi , I was in Korea yesterday and I tried to get aWiFi calling on my Prepaid phone to work.
    It works on this same Moto e5 plus in the USA.
    Nothing !
    I turned off cell data, enabled WiFi calling only but nothing ,

Anything else to try ?

I did get text from TMobile telling me how much it would cost per minute or text....
    Did you try to more than one Wifi location? What kind of error are you getting?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    I tried a couple , no error message , just no picture with the wifi logo and the phone over it ,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast