Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: House Judiciary hearing on T-Mobile-Sprint merger covers Trump hotel stays

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

House Judiciary hearing on T-Mobile-Sprint merger covers Trump hotel stays

https://www.tmonews.com/2019/03/hous...ork-equipment/
    Small excerpt from article:
    “One of the first topics brought up during the hearing was Legere and other T-Mobile executives’ stays at the Trump hotel in Washington D.C. Reps. Hank Johnson (D-GA) and Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) asked Legere about the stays, with Legere saying that he was a longtime customer of Trump hotels and that it was his decision for executives to stay at the D.C. hotel after the merger’s announcement. “Do you understand the optics of that? What it looks like? It looks like what’s happening is that T-Mobile is trying to curry favor with the White House,” Johnson said. Legere said that he believes the merger will be judged by the FCC and DOJ on its merits.”
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Feedback Score
    If I was John and Obama was the president at the time and had his own hotel line, you'd bet I'd be staying in Obama hotel. This is business but yet democrats are hell bent on playing political favorites. John did shut them down with a solid answer though.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    If I was John and Obama was the president at the time and had his own hotel line, you'd bet I'd be staying in Obama hotel. This is business but yet democrats are hell bent on playing political favorites. John did shut them down with a solid answer though.
    This line of thinking does not work. We have never had a president before that co-mingled his political and business interests. Simply put, Obama would not have a hotel chain (nor Bush, Reagan, Eisenhower etc.)

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I liked John's answers much better this hearing when compared to the last one. He seemed more prepared for the questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    This line of thinking does not work. We have never had a president before that co-mingled his political and business interests. Simply put, Obama would not have a hotel chain (nor Bush, Reagan, Eisenhower etc.)
    Clearly it works. If the two CEOs decided to fluff the presidents chain hotel, clearly they see value in it. Just because we never had such thing in the past happen is not an excuse.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Clearly it works. If the two CEOs decided to fluff the presidents chain hotel, clearly they see value in it. Just because we never had such thing in the past happen is not an excuse.
    Read carefully. You claimed that ’if Obama had a hotel.’ My point is that this type of conflict has never occurred before.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Read carefully. You claimed that ’if Obama had a hotel.’ My point is that this type of conflict has never occurred before.
    Given the choice between someone frequenting a hotel for favor, and weaponizing the DOJ and FBI, I chose the former. But that is just me, I could be wrong.

Hopefully Mr.Legere is correct and the merger will be judged on it's merits. But with everything being politicized, I sincerely doubt it.

Feedback Score
    That was a mere example. Not sure how its relevant.

Feedback Score
    The founding fathers never restricted inn owners from holding the office of the President. Nor did they put that restriction on any other business owner.

Device(s)
    Moto X DevEd
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    because other than Reagan, we've had career politicians in office.

You are implying that to stay at a hotel owned by Trump has to be equated with political favors. Somehow, i don't think when Kerry was SecState, that everyone stopped using Heinz ketchup just to eliminate the "optics" of it. I know my example is far fetched, but it is still in the same vein. Someone in power has a stake in a private business (Kerry's wife in this case). Or if you really want to nitpick, then Kerry's daughter getting Peace Corps funding, when Kerry was Chairman of the committee that oversaw the Peace Corps. Or when he was SecState, his daughter got a no-bid renewal of said grant. Optics.

i have no issue of a CEO staying at an Obama/Bush/Trump hotel, provided that there are sufficient airwalls between the stay and the politician. If Trump/Obama/Bush required John to stay, that is one thing. For John or Cook, or anyone else to stay because they find it more convenient, then that is fine.

Too many on the left try to nitpick and find a way to torpedo this, just because of his stay.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How about Obama that had two books published and the State Dept purchased $70,000 of Tax Payer money on Obama's Memoirs Book. Sure bet T-Mobile didn't pay anything close to $70K for hotel rooms.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    How about Obama that had two books published and the State Dept purchased $70,000 of Tax Payer money on Obama's Memoirs Book. Sure bet T-Mobile didn't pay anything close to $70K for hotel rooms.
    C’mon now! Rules are only applied to one side of the political spectrum...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I believe they dropped in total around 120K in the hotel. However the drastic difference is that in your example tax payed dollars were spent vs private corporation money.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I believe they dropped in total around 120K in the hotel. However the drastic difference is that in your example tax payed dollars were spent vs private corporation money.

That T-Mobile money to Trump's hotel were for all T-Mobile and it covered 38 days of hotels.

Now back to the fact Obama made $20 million while in office and some of that was from foreign governments in book sales that would violate the Emoluments Clause. How Barack Obama Has Made $20 Million Since Arriving In Washington

Please tell me how Obama's Books that sales went ballistic while he was in Office were any different than Trump's Hotels visits by T-Mobile?

BTW, Trump's Washington Hotel is owned by the US Government that was the Post Office and is under Lease to Trump Company. So the US Taxpayers are getting paid via any hotel customers via the Lease the US Government made with Trump of that Old Post Office.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So according to this story....

"The questions regarding T-Mobile executives’ Trump hotel stays is in regard to a Washington Post report that T-Mo execs had stayed at least 52 nights at the Trump hotel in D.C. in the 10 months since the merger’s announcement. T-Mobile has confirmed that it spent $195,000 at the hotel since the merger’s announcement out of a total of $1.4 million total that it spend at D.C. hotels during that time."

So T-Mobile spent $1,205,000 million in other Washington DC hotels that were not Trump's hotel.

House Judiciary subcommittee hearing on T-Mobile-Sprint merger covers Trump hotel stays, Huawei network equipment, and more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast