Name:  whiteboard.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  58.6 KB

This is about the only good reason I can think of to allow smartphones in the classroom. Then again, it's been a while since I myself was a student...

Today Ontario Education Minister Lisa Thompson has announced a province-wide ban on mobile phones during class time, via a directive to be issued for the 2019-2020 school year. An official statement is to follow; here's what she said today:

"Ontario's students need to be able to focus on their learning—not their cellphones. By banning cellphone use that distracts from learning, we are helping students to focus on acquiring the foundational skills they need, like reading, writing and math."
Accommodations are to be made for students with special needs, and when such devices are used as teaching aids.

The other thing about this directive is that it will be up to individual school boards (and schools) to decide how—or even if—to enforce the ban. For example, the Toronto District School Board had their own cell phone ban in place for four years, then decided to lift it and leave the matter to the discretion of teachers.

Source: CBC, Imgur