Thread: VZW 4G LTE Network Extender and HD Voice Data Usage for Calls

Carrier(s)
    Squashing Conservatism Not Good
    Feedback Score

VZW 4G LTE Network Extender and HD Voice Data Usage for Calls

Living in an apartment building in a poor 4G LTE reception area (1-2 bars, 110-115 dBm) which 3rd level VZW engineering could not improve, so given other factors https://www.verizonwireless.com/prod...sku=sku2490003 perhaps may be best option as have a business grade wired router for data security reasons. I would be using 4G LTE HD Voice with the extender as the old more reliable CDMA service in my area to be taken down by later in 2019 if not sooner. My phone a LG G7 ThinQ bought last year is HD Voice capable and currently only use 4G LTE for data.

One question is how much VZW data usage I be billed for if say I do 2500 minutes of calls a month with HD Voice plus how much data does the extender use against my VZW plan? This is assuming average pauses in silence in the calls. Today only have a 2GB data plan w/ unlimited talk/text which only typically today use 1 to 1.5 GB a month for data with calls on CDMA; and which I believe need to increase if use HD Voice and the 4G LTE network extender for calls, but unsure how much?
    * I would not use be using Wifi calling as noted above.
    * Though this extender uses my cable company Cox bandwidth, but last checked has a 1TB usage cap and only using 20GB of that in a month. As a second (perhaps deal breaking question), The 4G LTE Network Extender can enhance your HD Voice or 4G LTE **data** coverage per its FAQs. I could foresee other neighbors and visitors within 50 foot range (have sidewalk and parking lot spaces 10-20 feet outside ground floor window) using the extender with VZW mobile phones using this extender for huge 4G LTE downloads and then I be in trouble with the cable company (extra charges). Correct me if I am wrong? Right now, the extender does not allow whitelisting of phone numbers.
    * Also confirmed for VZW data with VZW tech support, I am only billed for only my HD Voice call usage on the extender (family account, my LG G7 already have and other phone will be a 4G LTE flip phone for a local elderly relative to replace an older CDMA phone and visit occasionally), not anyone else's including any visitors which is billed back to the VZW mobile number/handset MEI.
    * Am willing to pay for a higher GB shared plan for two lines if needed, but not willing to pay double what I am paying now for an unlimited data plan.

With my VZW data usage if go with this extender with HD Voice, I am though getting conflicting messages from VZW technical support vs. articles on the internet. One tech rep told only 139 kb per 2 minute call whereas https://mikebeach.org/2015/09/04/how...our-data-plan/ saying 47 kb per second but that article is 4 years old and with AT&T's service. This is a huge difference.
    Last edited by spurkcell; 03-08-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    If you are only using 20GB of your Cox data bucket, you're more than fine.

Honestly, even with all the calls, and a massive amount of "streaming" on your phone, you should not even use 1/15th of your data allotment.

VoLTE on Verizon uses a 12kbps codec, which is nothing.

VoLTE can go up to 24kbps but for interoperability reasons they went with 12kbps
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    If you are only using 20GB of your Cox data bucket, you're more than fine.

Honestly, even with all the calls, and a massive amount of "streaming" on your phone, you should not even use 1/15th of your data allotment.

VoLTE on Verizon uses a 12kbps codec, which is nothing.

VoLTE can go up to 24kbps but for interoperability reasons they went with 12kbps
    Just confirming my understanding for my VZW account data usage for HD calls:
    2 GB is 1024 bits = 1 kb x 1024 = 1 MB x 1024 = 1 GB x 2 = 2,147,483,648 bits
    2500 minutes a month = 12 kbps x 60 seconds x 2500 minutes = 1,800,000 kb = 1,843,200,000 bits
    1,800,000 kb / 1024 = 1758 MB / 1024 = 1.72 GB
    That would use up 86% of my 2 GB data plan allowance for HD Voice calls only with VZW where already using 1 to 1.5 GB monthly with 4G LTE data other than calls such as internet, apps, etc. And that's if my calls do not exceed 2500 minutes a month on HD Voice, if had a family emergency, multiple long business calls, etc.
    *** Please correct me if I made a miscalculation. ***

So the 1TB Cox allowance before being dinged:
    1024 bits = 1 kb x 1024 = 1 MB x 1024 = 1 GB x 1024 = 1 TB = 1,099,511,627,776 bits
    1,099,511,627,776 bits / 1024 = 1,073,741,824 MB / 1024 = 1,048.576 GB
    1,048,576 GB / 14 connections on the extender max (24 x 7 all month, not reality, but max) = 74,898 GB per user
    74,898 GB per user per month / 31 days month = 2416 GB per day = 101 GB per hour = 1.68 GB per minute = 0.02796 GB per sec = 28.635 MB per sec vs. speeds of VZ 4G LTE typically between 5 and 12 MB per sec but at peak 50 per sec
    So am more comfortable the Cox allowance, "but again correct me if I made a miscalculation.""
    Last edited by spurkcell; 03-08-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just talked with a VZW tech support rep. On her phone with HD Voice and Phone app, it shows usage at 1.228 MB per minute, say 500 calls using 614 MB of data usage, so this is 0.02047 MB per second, or 21 kbps. Wondering if for more technical curiosity, if the 12/12.65 kbps rate quoted elsewhere is for one way talking, and the 21 kbps is for two-way allowing for silence in the calls?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    Just talked with a VZW tech support rep. On her phone with HD Voice and Phone app, it shows usage at 1.228 MB per minute, say 500 calls using 614 MB of data usage, so this is 0.02047 MB per second, or 21 kbps. Wondering if for more technical curiosity, if the 12/12.65 kbps rate quoted elsewhere is for one way talking, and the 21 kbps is for two-way allowing for silence in the calls?
    Maybe I'm missing something here but HD voice, VoLTE if we're talking the same thing; doesn't really use any data to speak of. I've made many 40 minute VoLTE (HD voice) calls and it used in the low kb of data; not even enough that I remember or got charged for. Of course since I'm on a VZW/MVNO Pay Go plan it uses my minutes as usual. Maybe you're talking about something else when using the term HD voice, like video voice.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    So wait, you are concerned about using your LTE data plan?

No, you’d be using your Cox connection.. not your LTE data bucket from Verizon

VoLTE goes through a private Verizon server/APN and is not billable data... even on an LTE Extender

Now, say if you are connected to the LTE Network Extender and you are streaming/using the actual web with WiFi off *will* count toward your data plan as that extender is acting like a small cell and funneling all of your voice/data back to Verizon

So just be sure to leave WiFi on as well and you’ll be fine

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have a wired router, see 1st sentence of original post. On ground floor corner apartment unit where sidewalk is 10 feet outside window (fortunately facing SW for GPS extender signal) and several parking spaces 20 feet from windows and not know all neighbors, those expect most are honest, plus all of the visitors. For that and other reasons, I do not trust Wifi at my location, even with password protection, but that is a whole other separate forum discussion. I will not be doing video calling, have not done one in four years having a smartphone. I know how to do and software pre/installed on my LG G7, but I have not any need to do a video call, as many of those I know are not that tech saavy and no need to do so with work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    I have a wired router, see 1st sentence of original post. On ground floor corner apartment unit where sidewalk is 10 feet outside window (fortunately facing SW for GPS extender signal) and several parking spaces 20 feet from windows and not know all neighbors, those expect most are honest, plus all of the visitors. For that and other reasons, I do not trust Wifi at my location, even with password protection, but that is a whole other separate forum discussion. I will not be doing video calling, have not done one in four years having a smartphone. I know how to do and software pre/installed on my LG G7, but I have not any need to do a video call, as many of those I know are not that tech saavy and no need to do so with work.
    I honestly just think you are over complicating this

Get the LTE extender, your phone will register to that for calls/sms WITHOUT being charged data

Use WiFi when you can to save data usage for apps and browsing. Not that hard

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    LTE extender is being shipped now which hope will receive sometime next week. Assuming no technical issues in setup and operation once received, I will then test reality with my minute volume of HD Voice calls with good buffer/extra data of 2GB plan not yet used before my billing period ends. Also reality is, if it does not work or causes unexpected issues TBD, I will have to before the VZW CDMA shutdown later this year move home or switch cell phone carriers, AT&T most likely one as signal appears better unaided as already test using a very cheap backup prepaid phone have with them, as other options by VZW tech support not workable i.e. cannot put a Weboost signal booster antenna on the landlord's roof, and I have been on the phone with all of their levels. CDMA calling is 98%+ reliable for incoming calls in my apartment whereas HD Voice without any signal boosting such as the extender is only 85% reliable for incoming calls to ring through, sharing both data and calls on same 4G LTE signal, which is not enough good with an 80 some year old relative living locally miles away with health issues.

I do use password protected Wifi at other locations with more of a physical perimeter to download apps i.e. relatives house. Sorry, I do not fit the mold of probably 90%+ of people with wireless Wifi in their homes, but I have my security reasons and they would not still sell some wired routers, bought mine 2 years ago, if others do not share the somewhat similar data security concerns (some detailed above). We will see in my testing then if HD Voice uses much data or not of my monthly plan 2GB for standard audio calls (if it does, I'll increase my plan GB, not unlimited though as double cost). As far as my Cox cable company, if enough people come by outside on the sidewalk, in parking lot spaces, and in my street facing ground level apartment, plus a few apartments within 50 range and find the extender boosting signal outside or indoors, I could potentially have 14 connections going on using my cable internet with them using for large downloads and video, but believe I am good with info/calcs we shared above with 1TB with Cox. Everybody's situation is different and can be more complicated or simpler than others, and certainly I needed to do my homework beforehand given my environment, and appreciate all the feedback here.