Thread: Won't power off

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Won't power off

I don't know if I can get help but here it goes. I have a old iPhone 4s that was gave to me. It or I can't get it to shut down I want to store it away tell needed. Every time I want to use it I have to charge it and it awhile to charge it. I don't use it as a phone but I use it for video viewer. I have a Mobius Maxi (WiFi) camera and use it as video recorder and the 4s to view the video.

What wrong with it and can it be fixed?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Take it to a repair shop and ask for a repair cost/hardware evaluation to determine if it is economical to repair. Sometimes it is cheaper to replace than to keep fixing an older phone like yours.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There on repair shop in the town I live. The battery only has a short live when charge and not use it only holds a charge for 8 to 9 hours could that be the problem? I have never did the up grade to 9.35 because I heard there is a problem with it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Have you tried the hard shutdown holding power and home button at same time?
    Will the power button wake it up from sleep? Might be a bad power button

You could try a shot of canned air duster in power button area, it's a longshot, but my mute button would not stay put and I did that , it was just a speck of something in there,worked fine after a blast of canned air, I cleaned it better when I swapped battery.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdlcar View Post
    I don't know if I can get help but here it goes. I have a old iPhone 4s that was gave to me. It or I can't get it to shut down I want to store it away tell needed. Every time I want to use it I have to charge it and it awhile to charge it. I don't use it as a phone but I use it for video viewer. I have a Mobius Maxi (WiFi) camera and use it as video recorder and the 4s to view the video.

What wrong with it and can it be fixed?
    It's probably best to at least find a used iPhone 6s and move on, or if you are just viewing video from it even a cheap phone from any big box store can do that.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The 4s will power off when charging but when unplug the charger it will turn on.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just do a restore on it, make sure find my iPhone is off and you have any needed iCloud passwords if it is associated with any account.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mightynimbus View Post
    Have you tried the hard shutdown holding power and home button at same time? yes
    Will the power button wake it up from sleep? yes Might be a bad power button

I haven't try the below yet.
    You could try a shot of canned air duster in power button area, it's a longshot, but my mute button would not stay put and I did that , it was just a speck of something in there,worked fine after a blast of canned air, I cleaned it better when I swapped battery.
    I will keep working on it don't have the money to buy another one I am retired on a fixed income.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    All I know it a lost cause but all I know when charging I can turn it off and that the only time.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdlcar View Post
    All I know it a lost cause but all I know when charging I can turn it off and that the only time.
    Do you use iTunes? doing a restore is not difficult.
    When it's charging have you tried turning it off by holding power and home button at same time.
    Then turn it back on after a couple minutes and see if it works normal?

That is the step I would take before a restore. But restore will rewrite the operating system and get rid of a possible glitch. Of course if it is a control button issue it won't help, but the fact you can turn it on and off while charging suggests that might not be an issue.

Not sure how small of town you are in, but there are always ads on Craigs List from people that tinker with cell phones.
    Maybe someone would be willing to do a IOs overwrite for you for cheap. But again it is very easy to do yourself.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mightynimbus View Post
    Do you use iTunes? Done that doing a restore is not difficult.
    When it's charging have you tried turning it off by holding power and home button at same time. Yes
    Then turn it back on after a couple minutes and see if it works normal? Yes

That is the step I would take before a restore. But restore will rewrite the operating system and get rid of a possible glitch. Of course if it is a control button issue it won't help, but the fact you can turn it on and off while charging suggests that might not be an issue.

Not sure how small of town you are in, but there are always ads on Craigs List from people that tinker with cell phones.
    Maybe someone would be willing to do a IOs overwrite for you for cheap. But again it is very easy to do yourself.
    It turn it self on when not charging.