Thread: Postpaid to prepaid, buy phone on payments?

Feedback Score

Postpaid to prepaid, buy phone on payments?

Thinking of switching from postpaid. The wifes Iphone is 2.5 yrs old and she'd like a new one.

The bill now is $112, a new Iphone is around 35/month, plus the line fee of 20, plus losing the corporate discount I no longer qualify for, the bill will be near $160. Prepaid is 80 on autopay for 2 lines each with 15Gb, so 80 + 35 = 115.

Can you do that, get a prepaid phone on payments? Spending 7-800 outright isn't an option. Spectrum Mobile and Total Wireless have phone payments if Verizon doesnt, so those are other options I'm considering.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    Prepaid phones must be paid in total upfront for Verizon

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    There are credit cards that offer introductory 0% rates for 18 months and no fees. An $800 phone would be around $45 a month. Add in the prepaid savings and you're still ahead.

Feedback Score
    To add to this discussion a little, getting converted from a postpaid to prepaid account in-store is as simple as a couple button clicks by the store reps. Once you figure out your phone situation the process itself is super easy.

Feedback Score
    You can also finance through Apple.com directly. I think they make you take Applecare+ but still a net savings to you for a totally clean and unlocked phone. You can also subsidize your purchase by getting cheaper Verizon cards on Ebay. I have around $500 bucks in my account that was roughly 40% or so discounted.

Depending on what phone your wife has, Apple is also bumping up there trade in allowance. Thatd bring down the bill too on a new phone.

Feedback Score
    thanks for all the suggestions. Buying at the apple store seems to be the best way to go, i hadnt thought that would be a better option.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tocthecat View Post
    Thinking of switching from postpaid. The wifes Iphone is 2.5 yrs old and she'd like a new one.

The bill now is $112, a new Iphone is around 35/month, plus the line fee of 20, plus losing the corporate discount I no longer qualify for, the bill will be near $160. Prepaid is 80 on autopay for 2 lines each with 15Gb, so 80 + 35 = 115.

Can you do that, get a prepaid phone on payments? Spending 7-800 outright isn't an option. Spectrum Mobile and Total Wireless have phone payments if Verizon doesnt, so those are other options I'm considering.
    Just get them somewhere else. FOr instance, I got a Galaxy S10 directly from Samsung on Wednesday and it is now on my Verizon prepaid account. Samsung will be giving me $300 trade in for my S8. And then after taxes and 24 months no interest, my monthly cost is just $26.50 for my Galaxy S10. Paid to Samsung finance each month.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown View Post
    You can also finance through Apple.com directly. I think they make you take Applecare+ but still a net savings to you for a totally clean and unlocked phone.
    I think you might have to apply for a credit card to get the financing (unless I missed something on the website). But at least with the new CC I was able to get $75 worth of iTunes gift cards along with $200 for my iPhone 6S.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tocthecat View Post

T-Mobile has some payment structures with strong trade in values on older phones, I think the cut off is the iPhone 7?